Yvsa - serious question for you

If this somehow violates a forum rule, let me know..

I'd like to know what Native american religion you practice, what it entails and what it does for you personally.
As many details as you can think of and feel comfortable sharing.

Nope...no violation.

There are some things not discussed in a public forum, but those are constraints of faith, not forum policy.

Almost anything can be discussed here...as long as it's done with respect toward one another (and others).

DIJ it's not a subject that can be discussed over the Internet and especially in a public forum.
However I can say that it is not a religion as much as it is a way of life. For me Unelanvhi, the Great Mystery, is constantly present and is present in all things both animate and inanimate.
And above all I have to be responsible for my own actions or I may not get to walk the Star Journey when I walk west and if that is the case I will have to come back and try again until I get things right.

Wow! Tough question! How would I summarize Christianity and what it has meant in my life without offending someone on the sidelines??? And, oh by the way, do it in four paragraphs or less! Good luck!

Jurassic,

You hit the nail on the head, for sure! (Now, how many Angels were dancing there, I wonder, when the hammer hit?)

I would say that giving offense is different from taking it, although it behooves one to be aware of what responses may occur in an environment we are familiar with, based on past experience.

Competing "truths" can't occupy the same space, and that can cause trouble, especially for folks devoted and committed to their truth.

As I've said before, however, confidence in what we believe can allow us to be patient, not feel threatened, and engage in the discussion in such a manner that presents the least likelihood of tempting someone else to take offense.

Shame on any of us if we mean to GIVE offense! I think that happens very rarely here.

I try not to start religious topics anymore here, and try to limit my replies to any such thread to one hit and run post, with an offer to discuss further offline.

I don't object to others discussing such things at all, that is just my way of trying to be careful.

Tom

thank you. I didnt know how you would take such a question but I am sincerely interested.

Danny, I have a dozen books on Zen, have read that many more, and find absolutely nothing to conflict with my Christianity. Indeed, during long practice sessions with the bow (300 arrows plus in several hours) I have slipped easily into an altered state where nothing exists but the arrow; I don't even register nocking the next arrow. I believe in God as the Creator, but I teach my high school students that there apparently are three creation accounts in Genesis, and probably written by three different people. I also believe in an ancient earth, and teach against the "six 24 hour days" for creation. This does not endear me to fundamental christian parents, who refer to me as that "Godless scientist".....I get a kick out of that one, since I was baptised before their parents were born. I believe Native American religion has much to recommend it, because all animals and plants are fundamentaly interrelated and mutually dependent upon each other. The point I'm trying to make here is the possibility that the various religions "revealed" to humanity may be different facets of the same Gem, different aspects of the Grand Architect of the Universe. Those who believe they have to strap themselves into explosive vests to approach God certainly must have missed a day or two of school to be so easily misled. If real leaders lead from the front as I believe, rather than pushing from behind (some actually stay behind a big desk and expect to be followed), then why aren't we seeing guys like Osama bin Hidden or Mucktada al Sader strapping the vests on themselves??? They were absent the day the Teacher said "God is Love".....................jn

thank you. I didnt know how you would take such a question but I am sincerely interested.

You're welcome DIJ.:) The only way to learn any American NDN religion is too live it and that means living close to the people who's belief system you want to learn.
The big problem is is that there are so many, but all believe in the Great Mystery, that you have too choose what way you want to follow. There are a lot of people going to Northern Nebraska and the Dakota's to learn from the Lakota or other branch of what is commonly known as the Sioux because they were able to retain a greater portion of their belief system, or so some folks think.;)

I enjoy learning about different spiritual beliefs. I believe there are many paths to the ultimate Truth and I often feel as though I am still searching for mine. I appreciate the respect and acceptance (and generosity) shown here and it makes me glad to be a small part of this community. (I am troubled when some folks finds it necessary to diminish another's belief system in order to promote their own.) Faith and tolerance are not mutually exclusive concepts. At the end of the day, I am less concerned about what a person believes happens in the next world than I am about how he lives his life and treats others in this one.

Eric

Back