Recommendation? 'Zaan, large Inkosi insingo or large 31/21?

Ron Sabbagh

LOVE YOUR COUNTRY
I have some older CRK's which I really enjoy but looking to add a new one to the stable. Never had a 'Zaan

For those that have handled all 3, what say you?

What do you already have? What do you want to use it for (pretty vs user)? Do you like 'tuning' pivots, or no-muss-no-fuss?

I have large & small sebbies with drop points. Most are older with graphics so I don't use them hard. For this purchase I prefer a no-muss-no-fuss worker. I'd prefer not to tune pivots. Just grab & go.

Thanks

I haven't held the non-Sebenzas before, but I'm in a similar boat and I'm mentally picking a large Sebenza 31 in plain or micarta so it can be spa'd back to full health (I also like the more neutral grip). I'm picking 31 because the 21s won't have replacement blades unless it's a warranty issue. That said, you'd have to be either super silly or in a life-or-death situation to break a blade.

Inkosis and Umnumzaans have harder-use potential (thicker stock, thicker grinds?) but they aren't pivot bushing designs so they usually need some thread locker after tuning to your desired action.

I own 21s and inkosi’s. I had one umnumzaan and sold it. I’ve never handled a 31. The ‘Zaan never fully agreed with my hand and the ergos. That’s the only complaint I had about that knife. I still for some reason want a tanto ‘Zaan tho.
The 21 is a great knife. Real good slicer. Easy disassembly, which I think all CRKs have. I personally think the Inkosi and ‘Zaan are easier to take all the way down, but that’s splitting hairs. The 21 has the pivot bushing so you just tighten it all the way down with no loctite and roll on with your day. The Inkosi and ‘Zaan require loctite but once they’re set I’ve never had one come loose. I’ve had the pivot back out on my 21s but never on the Inkosi. As stated above the Inkosi does have thicker stock and not as hollow of a grind. It has finger grooves that some people do not like but they don’t bother me a bit. The 21 is more of a neutral grip.

I’ve personally always looked at the Inkosi as a bit of a beefed up 21. That being said I’ve used them both in the same situations and don’t trust one less than the other.

If I had to pick I’d go for the micarta large Inkosi. That’s what I have in my pocket. Ask me tomorrow and there’s a good possibility I’ll say the 21.

I tried a few large 21s, and sold them all*. I just didn't care for the way they felt in hand; though the micarta inlays were a significant improvement over the Plain Jane. I have a large micarta Inkosi that sits much better in my hand. I'm not one that feels compelled to keep taking it apart; so I've only done it once, and not messed with the pivot since.
No experience with the umnumzaan; though I, too, toy with the idea of getting a tanto.

*this isn't true - I kept my large 21 snakewood, only because it's snakewood. I rarely carry it; and, when I do, it's because I'm carrying another knife with snakewood.

Umnumzaan wins in my book. Ill say the 21 in hand is a bit more comfortable, but that's it on the pros. Though the pivot bushing system is great, the take down and maintenance of the Zaan is easier. Not much tuning needed, the female pivot screw is open so any debris is a non-issue. Everything about this knife feels solid and consistent. Also I'm not for sure between the 21 and the Zaan which is thicker stock, but the Zaan actually has a finer tip without sacrificing strength. I believe this is due to the extra material from the harpoon tip. I also like the overall blade profile on the zaan better too, the belly isn't as drawn out. The deployment is different and tight, but I feel superior. You can the flick it, or draw it slowly.

The Umnumzaan is easily the best folding knife I've ever owned. All my Spydercos just sit at my desk. They get used around the house, but thats about it for now. Between my CQC-13, Superblue Endura, and my Zaan, I'm set.

I added the extra stand off and screws to mine, really tops it off. About the only time I post anymore is to praise the Zaan, i'm not sure if thats a benefit to my testimony, or a point against it.

If you wind up with one and hate it, shoot me a PM. Im always looking for a deal on another Umnumzaan.

Cheers!

I'm saving for an Inkosi. I love my Zaan, so the small Inkosi will be a nice compliment.

IMO the Inkosi is the best knife.

That said, I just can’t keep a ‘Zaan out of my pocket for more than a day or two without having withdrawals!

On most knives it’s a PITA to adjust a pivot perfectly to preference without blade play. It’s stupid easy on Inkosi & Umnumzaan. I’m not sure if it’s the big washers, the big pivot, the thread pitch, or the overall tolerances—but it’s a piece o’cake!

I have 4 Sebbies, large micarta, small micarta insingo, large plain insingo, and large CGG (circuits). My favourite is the large micarta drop point, but I carry the large insingo far more (at work almost every day)

I thought seriously about getting an Inkosi, but after much thought decided that the Zaan would be the one to add. It had the ceramic ball lockup, a quite different blade shape, the machining on the scales, and the different feel due to the rubber rings on the blade stops (quiet opening, and slightly different action). It was designed by Chris Reeve in his prime, and stands separately to the Sebenza, whereas the Inkosi is more like a beefed up Sebenza.

If you are looking for CRK goodness in a different package, I strongly recommend the Zaan. It's a very cool knife.

The Sebenza 21 and the Umnumzaan are (IMO) the two most different knives.

Sebenza 21 has the pivot bushing, thinner blade stock, and titanium on steel lock up.

Umnumzaan was first knife with adjustable pivot and ceramic ball interface. Thumb studs double as Blade stop. Also has over travel stop on lock bar side.

So building on those differences...

Sebenza 21 + Umnumzaan = Inkosi

Sebenza 21 + Inkosi = Sebenza 31

See attached

https://imgur.com/a/YyHYl0D

I myself never cared for the Inkosi. Had one for a while and sold it. The finger grooves didn’t really line up with my hand, and wasn’t to big on the pivot and all..I absolutely love the Large 21’s. I like the non canted clip, and ease of maintenance and parts. And the action is just as good as it gets. It also offers a very neutral grip and is very comfortable in my hand in many grip styles. The blade is thinner and such a great sliver. The Insingo is by far my favorite. As far as the Zaan, I have yet to get one but I’m definitely planning on it one day. Always wanted a Zaan for sure.

Large Regular,Umnumzaan and small 21 Insingo best combo for me.

Off topic...I saw your signature and I will give you another one of my favorite quotes from Bruce Lee....

"I do not fear the man who practices 1000 kicks. I fear the man who practices one kick 1000 times...." Bruce Lee

More importantly for me is blade thickness. For general duty, not any specific repetitive job, in the CRK family I prefer the thinnest blade I can get in a large format... All of the knives I like: Um, Inkosi, 21, Reg etc, but 21 Insigno #1, 21 LG DP #2, Um #3 .

Love the zaan. Never handled 21/31/inkosi. But since I had the zaan several months ago, I stopped looking at folders completely.

One thing I think why I love it so much is it's very thin (when folded). Compare to my hinderer xm18, it's much more pocketable. And compare to my hinderer half track, shorter length of the half track seems to me to lose too much blade without making the knife more pocketable (and I'd imagine this would be similar with the small 21/inkosi).

Finally, there's something about the Zaan that feels to me as more masculine than the 21/31 and more sophisticated than my hinderer, a perfect balance. I am so in love with it that I'm considering selling all my hinderers (and buy fixed blades. I carry those when I want to carry something substantial).

Back