ZDP-189 It Finally happened.

It's inevitable. I chip tips. I know I do, and I don't freak out when it happens. I have been EDC my Delica 4 ZDP-189 for WELL over a year now. I figured the sharp little pointy tip would be gone in a week. Well.... I just chipped the tip!

This is not a complaint, THIS IS PRAISE! The ever so slight chip happened while I was trimming some nylon block. Totally my fault, and totally fixable.

So I just want to say that ZDP is standing the test of time for me. I've had a few staining issues, but for any steel to be and stay this sharp, and not break or chip easily... Well its OK in my book!:thumbup:

IMG_0209.jpg

I have been EDC my Delica 4 ZDP-189 for WELL over a year now.

I didn't even begin to read about them arriving at dealers until last June, and received mine from NGK in mid-July. How'd you manage that?

It's a Blue FRN sprint run. (they came out late '05) I got mine late January '06. It was my birthday present to me!

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but unless you somehow got a pre-production model or a prototype, I think you might be mistaken about the date. Mine is the Sprint too, and I didn't get an e-mail from NGK stating that they had them in stock until June. A post by Kristi over on Spyderco's own forum, dated 5-18-2006, also states:

"As for the C11PBLE - Delica 4 with ZDP-189, we will begin shipping these next week!
(They are in our warehouse - so this is confirmed, not estimated)"

I found a thread that dates back to April 2005 and the zdp Delica was not available yet.

The plot thickens. Why would you lie about how long you had a ZDP Delica? There is something evil going on here and I swear to God in heaven and Satan in hell that I won't rest until I find out what it is.

Actually, I am getting a little sleepy and I might take a nap. When I wake up, I will not rest until I get to the bottom of this. That is unless there is something really good on T.V.

LOL. I don't think anyone is lying, just perhaps mistaken or mixed up regarding dates. As you can see from Kristi's quote, the production knives didn't ship from Spyderco until late May.

I know, I was just messing around. I don't think he was trying to lie about that. I have lost track of time many times. Normally it is at work and I know it must be lunch time but when I check the clock, it is only 10:00am! WTF is going on with that!?!?

Back on topic, I can hardly tell it is chiped. The thing about Spyderco knives is, they are going to break more often that some more rubust knives. They tend to be thinner and more pointy than many other brands. That is what I love about them. It is hard to get too thin or too pointy as far as I am concerned. One of my favorite models is the Centofante II. THAT is a thin and pointy blade. It also cuts like a laser even if the edge is not honed to a razor edge because of the great blade geometry.

All my pointy blades end up looking like that too. I just shrug it off and think, well, I'll just have to buy another pointy knife. :D I am impressed by the ZDP Delica. For such a hard, long-wearing steel, ZDP is surprisingly tough.

Forget about the brother being mistaken about the date of the knife he is talking about. What's really important is the focal point of this thread.

And ZDP-189 is the best thing to happen in the scope of Blade Steels for quite some time. I have been carrying my Burgundy ZDP-189 Calypso Jr for about 22 months now. And I know I'm right about the date because I got the receipt to prove it.

ZDP-189 is truly a knife lover's dream come true. I have really abused mine at times in the last 22 months. I have subjected it to lot of abusive conditions that I normally wouldn't put one of my knives under and the ZDP-189 has come out smelling like a rose each time.

I truly commend Mr. Sal Glesser and the folks at Spyderco for having the guts to try something new not knowing ahead of time whether or not it would perform as well as it has. I would just love to see either a larger version of the fixed blade Temperance or a new issue of the fixed blade LUM with ZDP-189. It's time we test it in a fixed blade to see if the steel can endure that type of abuse. My hat is definitely off to ZDP-189 blade steel. It's truly great stuff.

Back