ZDP DELICA! (My first Spydie in years)

Howdy yall! Back several years ago I had a used Delica that I just didn't appreciate... I couldn't figure out the spyderhole, and it wasn't overly "cool" back then. However I'm now a "real" knife person, and I figured that it was time to get myself another Spyderco knife, and what better way to get a feel for it as to revisite the quintessential Spyderco knife, with the defining Spyderco materials. I just recieved it (as well as a couple more knives and a sharpmaker, which is a amazing) today, and must say that I'm amazed. While not quite as sharp as the Trance (which I ordered with it) out of the box, it was easily shaving, and VERY sharp. It's smaller than I remember it, and I must say that the pictures don't do it justice. The blade is the perfect size, and it fits right in the hand. The FRN, which originially put me off, is ergonomic and very sturdy in the hand. My only issue with this knife is the Spyderhole, and that's only an issue because I haven't figured it out yet. It's neither sharp nor dull, and angled just enough to give a great amount of purchase for my fingers... but the motion is different than what I'm used to, or at least slower.

One of the things that I didn't realize when I purchased this knife is that the clip could be made for lefties like me, and for tip up or down carry. While this isn't anything overly crazy, it is VERY convenient, and shows the type of thought that goes into these amazing knives.

For the money ($72 at knifecenter), this knife is an amazing deal, and would be for twice, or even three times the price. It is THE EDC knife as far as I'm concerned.

Edit- I just figured out the spyderhole. I kept trying to use it like a thumb stud, when it actually works better if you put your finger IN the hole.

Edit Edit- It's actually easy to open in icepick (reverse?) grip aswell if I just use my middle finger! I've got absolutely NO issues with the Delica.

Hi Peyton,

Thanx for giving Spyderco another chance. We appreciate your consideration. We are also pleased that you are enjoying the piece. Many Many hours of design refinment in that model.

sal

Glad you like yours! I don't have the ZDP delica, but I do have the d4 wave. Coming from being a benchmade fan(and I still am) It did take a bit to get use to the spydie hole. Either way, you will love the d4. Isn't it great how thin the handles are but yet when you hold it, it falls perfecly into the hands? Amazing work there Sal and Spyderco!

Mr Glesser- the amount of time put in to that knife is obvious. Like Chinese Man said- the handles are nice and thin, taking up next to no room, and yet when you hold it, the knife fits my hand like it was custom built to my specifications.

Chinese man- I was considering going waved, but opted out for something more sheeple friendly (to supplement my Morpho). However, after seeing how great the Delica is, I'm going to have to pick up an E4 Wave soon... then Caly... and a Centofante... Kumo, Lava, Mili, Remote Release... golly. There's also any Spyderco balis that may come out in the next few years.

Welcome back to the addiction. I personally am fine with a plain old VG-10 Delica since I don't need a super steel such as ZDP. Then again that's what makes Spyderco so great: they offer refinements to an industry and satisfy thousands doing so. :thumbup: to peter and :thumbup: to sal!

Back