ZDP Endura

So, I got my ZDP Endura saber grind in the mail today. I got it used from a member on here. It's in pretty good condition, but the blade is duller than any other knife I've ever encountered. This will definitely challenge my sharpening ablities (the very little that I have).

I really like the knife, and think I'll like it more when I do finally get a good edge on it. Would I be able to get a good edge with just the ceramic Sharpmaker rods or should I pick up a diamond rod as well?

Send it into Spyderco for sharpening, then keep it sharp with the ceramic white rods ;)

I had thought about sending it to Spyderco to have them sharpen it. Seems like it might take a while to get it to them and back to me. I still might do that though. I'll give 'em a call.

Contact Ankerson or Knifenut1013 here. It will be the sharpest knife you have ever held when you get it back.

Just sent my Starmate into Spyderco for a sharpening. If that's all you need to have done its free. You do have to include $5.00 for shipping it back to you.

Here's the email I got from their Warranty/Repair dept:

If your knife just needs a basic sharpening regardless of edge style, the sharpening is free; however, there is a $5 shipping and handling fee.

If your knife needs to be re-serrated, re-tipped or any other non-warranted repairs then it would be $20. plus the $5.00 for shipping. Here is a link to our warranty page http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10

When you send your knife in please include cash, check or money order for $5 shipping fee (plus $20 if you are sending it in for re-serration, re-tipping or repairs) a note stating what you’d like done to your knife along with your name, daytime phone number (that you can be reached at in case we have any questions or there’s a problem) and a return address (no P.O. Box’s please, unless you are Military or live out of the US )

Unless there is a problem we do not notify you upon arrival or departure of your knife. We are currently at about a 2-3 week turn around. Spyderco cannot be responsible for items that do not arrive to us. When mailing your knife you should send it in a box (knives have a way of working out of bubble mailers).

Spyderco
Attn Repair
820 Spyderco Way
Golden CO 80403

Thank you and have a great day,

Charlynn
Customer service/Warranty/Repair

I have the SE version and it has been a challenge to sharpen, and I am no slouch. I find that the HT on the Spyderco ZDP leaves the steel softer than other options but it still wears the same, so it's very difficult to remove material from, and you better have a good method to eliminate the burr.

That all being considered, and if I had the PE variant, I would recommend getting it sharpened on power tools by a pro then convex the edge with sandpaper and a mouse pad on a frequent basis. It will be a light saber.

Dang if the ZDP steel is dull, it will take awhile to sharpen. So I agree with the people above who says send it to Spyderco.

Well, maybe I exaggerated a bit. It's not completely dull, but is sure as hell isn't sharp. I'm gonna give it a go myself. If I can't get it, then I will consider sending it out to Golden.

i just sharpened mine using diamond stones and then a strop... it is now super sharp!!!
diamonds work great on ZDP!! i took about an hour as it was very dull after 12 days in the desert and taking a variety of abuse

I have the SE version and it has been a challenge to sharpen, and I am no slouch. I find that the HT on the Spyderco ZDP leaves the steel softer than other options but it still wears the same, so it's very difficult to remove material from, and you better have a good method to eliminate the burr.

Really? I find ZDP to be the easiest steel to remove a burr from. It takes longer, but since the steel is so hard, it seems to come off rather than stay on as in AUS-8.

Back