ZDP Jess Horn, I didn't think I would like it.

kgriggs8

BANNED
But I do! I never wanted one and I thought there were better knives to make in ZDP-189. I got one in a trade because I really wanted to get to know ZDP and use the knife. I thought the Jess Horn would be smaller and not cut well since it is not flat ground like the Calypso Jr.

I like the size and I think it fits my hand better than the CJ. It is a little longer in the handle and feels great. For some reason the pics make it seem like a tiny knife but it about the size of a Delica. It is a big little knife as the saying goes. It is a hollow ground pointier bladed Delica-3 or at least that is the best way to describe it. If you like the old pointy D-3, you should LOVE the Horn.

I haven't given the the ZDP any torture tests yet but it seems to hold an edge very well. I think the hype about ZDP may have been for real. It is already holding an edge better than the VG-10 knives I have had. I like VG-10 and I think it is a great steel but this ZDP may take the cake. I haven;t had to try and sharpen it yet so I can't say how it stacks up against VG-10 in that regard.

I never would have bought the Horn, but now that I have one, I am impressed. I would like it even if it wasn't ZDP. I think it should have a place in everybody's Spyderco collection if you have more than a dozen Spydercos. That is not to say that if you have less than a dozen, it is not worth having. I just mean, if you have a fairly small Spyderco collection, this should be among them.

I never had a Horn until I got the ZDP version...I'm impressed with the knife and with ZDP on this design. They work real well together.

It is a good knife, and it is much larger that it looks in the pictures online, though still very thin and light compared to what I thought it would be. I can still get my whole hand on the handle, I thought my pinkie would be hanging off the end. I thinned mine way out to experiment with real thin ZDP, but even stock it is a very good cutter and a good gentleman's folder.

That is what I thought, it is larger in person than in the pics. The pics seem to make it look like you could only get three finger on the grip but it is very comfy with all four. It is a mavel of design that has to be held to understand. There are several Spydercos that are like this. They sort of make sense once you hold them. The Delica and the Police are good examples of this. They look ordinary in pics but once you hold one, you see what all the fuss is about. I see why they have sold so many copies of each.

The Horn is a weird knife that I wouldn't normally like because I prefer flat ground blades over hollow but the blade on the Horn is thin enough that it still cuts and slices well. I did some food prep with the horn vs. the Caly 3. I was surprised that the Caly 3 was only slightly better at slicing vegs and fruits than the Horn. I really thought the Horn would have more trouble with stuff like garlic and apples. It was not as easy as the Caly's flat ground blade on most thing but it actually makes a better peeler. Peel an apple or a cucumber with both and I think you will see that the Horn is a little better because of the hollow grind. It lets the skin fall away from the blade instead of stick to it. The Caly is a better slicer but it doesn't put the horn to shame. I still think the Caly is the best knife if it's size and price on the market and I love mine but I am trying to give the Horn a fair chance as well. I at least have to use it enough to dull the ZDP.

Back