ZDP Lum or RIL Sage?

Josh K

Platinum Member
So many of these threads laying around, why not start one of my own? :D

You're looking at an incredibly crafted, high performing ZDP Lum design and a titanium framelock Sage. Assuming you could afford both which would you get?

Some things that I've been thinking about. I don't really like the Native's ergos, the Sage looks a lot like that. The Lum might be too pretty to carry around, and that I'd hate. The Sage has a wire clip, which is nice, but on a framelock workhorse I don't love it.

Influence me! :)

RIL Sage II. For me it comes down to ergonomics on these two. I can't get the LUM to fit comfortably in my hand. The Sage II has that finger choil and jimped thumb ramp and just fits perfectly in my hand. I love ZDP-189, but S30V is fantastic as well. I aslo really like the wire clip, but I know that is just a personal preference. I really don't think one can go wrong with the Sage II. The LUM just isn't my thing.

Just my two cents worth but I'm throwing in the Stretch 2 for consideration also.

I love the Stretch 2, ZDP/Carbon Fiber & back lock. It's a few bucks more but I consider it a keeper.

OTH the Lum ZDP is liable to get scarce one of these days & won't lose value. I've got a Black Lum ZDP up for trade that I just never used having acquired the Stretch II & Lum within days of each other. The Stretch is really that good. Ruff Cobb

Assuming you could afford both which would you get?

Both.

:p Just messin with ya, pretty sure you meant... couldn't afford both.

IMHO...If your going to use it I would get the sage(and may), if for collection get the Lum.

the Lum Chinese is the only knife that will knock my small sebenza out of my pocket for general EDC, so I would suggest the Lum.

If it means pushing back your purchase of the small sebenza in your sig. I would say neither.

Get a real RIL made by the man himself. ;)

If it means pushing back your purchase of the small sebenza in your sig. I would say neither.

Get a real RIL made by the man himself. ;)

Probably won't be getting one of those for a while though. Someday. :D

How much are you dropping on the Sage? That's atleast $160-$175 towards the Sebbie.

In that range, but still at least $150 away from the Seb. I've been looking for a user for a bit, but all the offers I got were for brand new ones.

I think you'll find that most of the people who are using their Sebs will continue to do so. :p

My vote: save for the Seb

I would have suggest to get the ZDP Lum. They are getting hard to come by :p

I think you'll find that most of the people who are using their Sebs will continue to do so. :p

My vote: save for the Seb

i agree. the whole reason i passed on the sage ii is because i picked up a small sebenza. i love it too much to purchase anything remotely similar.

I had the ZDP Lum, it was a very nice knife. But I traded for an equally nice D2 Military. :D The Lum fit my hand perfect and had a wide FFG, perfect for EDC, thats why I'd take it over the Sage. Then again I havent handled the Sage yet.

I had a ZDP Lum, and sold it because it was too spendy (in my view) for a knife that is shaped in such a way that it wants to slip out of your hand like a banana shooting out of a banana peel. If that makes sense.

That being said, I think the Lum is one of the most awesome looking knives on the market.

So I recently picked up one of the sprint run "green" Lums (not as spendy as the ZDP, so I can live with the slippy shape), along with a Sage RIL. I still like the look of the Lum, but the Sage II is really an awesome piece of knife, and what I think a knife should be. The Sage II feels great, is rock solid, opens like butter, and is just a tremendous all 'round EDC knife.

As for the Sage II vs. Sebenza thing, I prefer the Sage II because it is just as bank vault solid (again, in my view), I much prefer the Spydie hole to the thumb stud, its the same construction from the same materials, and costs half as much. JMO.

:thumbup:

Back