ZDP patina?

Someone said ZDP-189 takes on a patina. In what way? Even if you keep the blade lightly oiled, will this happen? Hmmm.

I've been using a caly jr for months, never oiled down and it's not developed anykind of patina at all.

It will show some patina if exposed to certain foods, mustard being one of them. But, so will some other stainless steels, including VG-10. I posted some pictures of a ZDP Stretch and a VG-10 Lava on the Spyderco factory forum a month or so back that illustrate it.

The "bad news" is that, unlike the patina carbon steels develop, the patina on ZDP and VG-10 is not uniform. The "good news" is that a mild abrasive, such as toothpaste, and a bit of elbow grease gets rid of it fairly easily and, at least in my limited experience, once removed it seems less likely to reoccur.

For me, it's a non-issue. Does no harm on a user, and extremely unlikely to happen to a safe queen "collectible".

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

DH & Deacon. Thanks for the info. I was start'n to wig-out. Back to normal now.

The exposed ZDP on my laminated calypso has been taking on a golden tint to it, if it were a solid blade I probably wouldn't notice but it's visible next to the bright 420 laminate.

Some of the spyderco's using ZDP use it in laminated form. Mine in particular is the Carbon Fiber Calypso III. ZDP189 laminated between 420 (420j2 I think). The way the calypso is ground there's about 1/4 inch of zdp exposed at the edge and a thin line of it visible from the spine that has a light golden color to it.

Interesting. Is the blade marked Laminated, or something? My Endura 4 would be Reg. ZDP-189, correct?

I just pulled it out and looked at it. It's marked ZDP189/420J2 on the flat. It's very easy to tell, the lamination line is unmistakable. As far as I know the endura and delicas are solid ZDP. Since I'm too lazy to take a picture myself for right now here is someone else's CF Calypso III
P1000024.jpg

Zombie thread. I cut up an Ind'n taco with my Endura and have a patina now. Only one side. I wiped it down with a wet paper towel before I put it away.

i'll add into the resurrection of this thread with a couple of pics.........patina on zdp, not easily. here is some pics of my oldest zdp and its a couple years old now or more. i use this one hard and for everything and dont take care of it at all. cuts anything and everything. no real cleaning or keeping it dry while its on my belt loop get rained on etc. its still shiny minus wear smudges. no patina.

it develops rust spots often but i rub 'em away when i notice them every so often. it lives with me in the hot and wet south swamps.

23kvpxg.jpg

zn0hf.jpg

yep 8 years give or take.

so were ya able to get a patina on any zdp 189 blades?:)

No patina here on my ZDP-189 Endura 4 but every once in a while I look at it and it looks a little darker than my other stainless blades of the same size. A little darker leaning toward brown, kind of warm, as apposed to just gray.

I like it. The real test will be slicing fresh 'maders. I haven't used it much for that yet. That usually does it big time on my plain carbon blades.

Posting a photo just 'cause I like looking at (and using) the Endura 4

For some reason the laminated blade on my Caly 3.5 has a distinct patina while my DF2 and Delica don't .
I cant think of anything I've done with the Caly that the others haven't

Ken

Mine get darker a wee bit, but they just look more "manly" and cool. Don't worry about it.

I took an unexpected dip in the ocean one time and I had a ZDP Delica in my pocket. Forgot all about it until a day or so later. There were a few small stains on the blade, easily wiped off with a little scouring powder on a sponge. None of my other ZDP knives have ever shown any patina or stains.

Back