ZDP questions

J-siah

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I bought my dad an endura4 in ZDP-189 and the thing rusts like crazy. I was just wondering what I can do to stop this, What would be a protector to put on it. I thought that zdp was a sainless steel, it has 20% chromium in it. it should be extremely stainless.

I have tried johnsons wax but it only works for a few days. I have considerd bluing the blade, Im a knife maker and have the resources to do most things. This is getting on my nerves, any input would be great.

I have had ZDP stain a little, but never rust. Does he wipe the blade off after use? That's about all I do with my ZDP. Maybe its a defect some how?

I think although it might have Cr, it has a lot of C. That's why it's more prone to rust (and why it's harder).

I wipe my knives after every use, especially if I cut something that gets liquid of any sort on the blade.

If he wipes it off after use and doesn't keep it wet for long periods of time, it shouldn't rust that badly. I've been EDCing my E4 for over a year now and have had only a few spots of corrosion appear, and they were buffed out easily. If you let ZDP stay wet, it will rust, but otherwise it does very well.

Some people seem to be able to rust knives. Maybe blueing it would be a good idea.

Some people seem to be able to rust knives.
Definitely. Climate can be a factor too, but MI seems unlikely to have either high humidity or "salt air" issues. Won't claim my experiences with ZDP-189 are typical either, but my Stretch II cuts food, gets rinsed anywhere from a minute to an hour later, shaken dry more often than toweled down, then stuck back in my pocket. Occasional dark blue/grey stains, but no signs of rust.

Bluing may work, if you have the facilities to blue stainless steel. Otherwise, your dad might be better off with a Pacific Salt.

Paul
bar_02.gif

My Personal Website - - - - - - A Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting - - - - - - Kiwimania
Dead horses beaten, sacred cows tipped, chimeras hunted when time permits.
Spyderco Collector # 043 - - WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
It's easy to grin when your ship comes in and good fortune and fame are your lot, but the man worthwhile is the man who can smile with his shorts twsited up in a knot. - Morey Amsterdam

I know he takes good care of it. It dosn't seen to take a great edge either, so I might have the RC tested. It might just be a HT defect as rare as it might be.

Iv not had any rusting problems with ZDP, just some tiny spots that just wipe off.
I live in Taiwan so its really humid here most of the time and im constantly sweating so i was expecting some problems but alas not.
Iv had absolute night mares with S30V though.

All my ZDP knives are scary sharp, get used daily and no sign of rust. I've heard the rust thing about ZDP but haven't seen it yet. I wonder if there's a problem in production with consistency.

My ZDP doesn't rust easily. It's is not as carefree as say and Aus-8, S30V or V-10, but wiping it off after cutting a lemon for instance was enough to keep mine from rusting or staining.

I tend to wipe the blade and loack mechanism down every several days with some CLP or silicone spray.

Since you're a knife builder, you should be able to get that sucker scary sharp. After a quick touch-up on the sharpmaker mine will whittle a hair easily.

I have shaved a small portion of my face as a test (it words, but I don't recommed dry shaving it as a parlor trick with any regularity-arm hair is quite impressive.)

If it's not taking and edge, and if it is rusting, and if you are sure it is the genuine article and not a counterfeit, i would send it up to Golden and let them take a look at it, and see what they say about the steel. The properties of the steel you are describing are not those I know to be fact about the ZDP. As unlikely and improbable as it is, something can go wrong with manufactured good. I'm going to say this is a maintenance issue, nothing more nothing less, but I am just guessing since I can't see the blade for myself.

Back