Zebco 33 Reel, What's your comments - Pro and Con

I dont use spincasters but did as a kid. I didnt like the 33s and the 202s were horrible. I liked the Zebco 800 and 802 . I dont know if they still make an 800 series reel.

I'm not familiar with the 800 series. The 202 and 404 sucked and were cheap plastic, compared to the 33 which was metal. The 33 was decent for what it was. Metal casing, metal spool, and metal gears (as I recall anyway). This was 1970s.

Not sure what year I finally got a "grown up" reel, a spinning reel like my dad used. Maybe around 1985? It was an Abu Cardinal Garcia, which I still have today, loaded with fresh line and in ready-to-use condition.

I have two Zebco 33s at the moment.....a modern one (terrible) and a vintage one from the 1960s.

The 60s model is an astoundingly good reel. The difference in the two is night and day. The good, old ones can be found with relative ease locally as well as on the web.

I paid less for my 60s model (complete with box/paperwork) than what retailers charge for the new ones. It will cast for miles, operates smooth, etc. I love it.

Regards.

Sometimes I wonder how much you all use your reels. I wear one out yearly. My brother will wear out several but he fished a great deal.

Sometimes I wonder how much you all use your reels. I wear one out yearly. My brother will wear out several but he fished a great deal.

I've got an Orvis 51A I have fished since 1975. Bronze gears and metal bodies last a very long time if lubed and cleaned properly. My son fishes my Ambassadeur 5000 from the early 70's, it's been rebuilt once in 40 years.

I wore out a cheap Diawa spinning reel.
I wore out a cheap Ryobi casting reel.
I have an Abu 4600 since 1982 that's been used as much as both of the above.
The red one, it's still going strong.

The black and gold Abu F-I-V-E in the back was cheap.
I wore that out.
The silver 5500s around it lasted 3x as long.

See a common thread here ;) :D

I don't know what is considered a "great deal" of fishing but I can't remember the last time I wore out a freshwater reel. I fish year round and I'm fortunate to be close to every type of freshwater from native trout streams in the mountains to large lakes with bass and catfish. In an average year I probably fish 150 times or more and all of my gear is several years old.

Back