Zero Tolerance 0909

Hi there! Some months ago, while showing pics of my knives, some forum members here addressed to me I was missing a ZT from my “collection”. I have now filled this gap and am actually a very satisfied owner of a ZT 0909. I am using this knife since +/- one month now as my EDC and just want to share my own impressions, experiences, thoughts and considerations, always as a week-end hiker and knives hobbyist/enthusiast, no expert at all, so bear with me :)!

Honestly speaking, I have never seriously considered ZT products. Not that I have ever “looked down” on them, on the contrary, I always recognized and appreciated their solid built, sound materials choice, good workmanship, etc., but I have also always found them too bulky, cumbersome and “rough” for my EDC use and, the few I had the occasion to handle and examine closer in the past, always looked to me not having the “right” geometries, grinds and ergos for my daily uses. In some cases, their aura of “tacticoolness” also set me somehow back from getting one myself. To be fair, I am not a fan of big knives. They are, for me, hard to justify, often times find them impractical for my tasks and I always have to consider the strict legislations in urban/working environments here. Generally, when I need something tough and substantial for “heavy duty” cutting tasks (and this, for me, is mainly confined to hiking/camping use), I go directly for a compact fixed blade (normally my F1) coupled with an axe or a folding saw. In my type of EDCing, I normally don’t need something that big and strong and I go straight pocketing smaller, lighter and more “people friendly” blades. And then there is the grind issue :D. One of my dearest pet peeves! Most big knives have really terrible grinds, at least as far as I am concerned, where my use is mainly oriented towards cutting and slicing tasks, rather than prying, chopping or forcefully wedging through stuff. The 0909, while beastly in all the ways that real men like, is different in ways that matter, ways that convince me that it should be on my very short list of big folders I’d like to own. This is a really well thought and executed cutting tool and I actually get some advantages when it comes to its size.

During the last 2-3 years, I have followed the new trend ZT seems to have taken up, offering smaller, slimmer, more pocket-friendly and somehow more “refined”, “fashionable” knives. Some of them I like, some others really do not meet my taste and preferences but, anyway, I think these are not the products ZT has built its reputation on: large folders intended to withstand heavy use that would meet the needs of professionals (e.g. carpenters, roofers, plumbers, tilers, etc.), military, and law enforcement. When I started re-considering to finally get myself a ZT to try one and have a first-hand experience, this was one of my dilemmas: shall I pick up a product from their newer line-up which for sure would better meet my preferences in daily use but “betray” the original ZT concept, or shall I go for one of their classic, chunky folders which would definitely be a representation of the ZT DNA but running the risk of not using it? I thought the best possible thing would have been to walk down (drive 80 km, actually) to my reference brick and mortar store and check out some in person. They’re authorized ZT importers/dealers and happened to have more or less the whole ZT old and new line-up in stock.

After half an hour of real fun as a kid in the candies store :), well, I can happily say that with the 0909, ZT Knives and Les George solved my uncertainties! My first impression of this knife was that it is a big folder, yet has great ergonomics and an amazing blade with a superb cutting and piercing capability. The perfect formula! In the time it took me to handle and play with it a bit in the store, I knew the ZT 0909 would be a workhorse. I understand the 0909 has been introduced as the replacement of the now discontinued ZT 200 series. This knife is based on Les George’s Talos model. I also found “traces” of the 0909 in the VECP, George’s mid-tech and in another George/ZT collaboration, the 0900. Zero Tolerance still describes their knives as “Proudly Overbuilt” and the 0909 is really a tank of a knife, a “helluva” knife. The 0909, in my eyes, really embodies the iconic ZT classics; the over built, working folders like the 200 and 350 that ZT built their reputation on, and, in the meantime really succeeds in improving what I personally consider their shortcomings.

The blade consists of a 4 mm thick slab of S35VN stonewashed steel on a classic drop point blade shape with a nice thick spine and oversized jimping. Les George’s knives, for what I have learned, are a tribute to drop point blade style with added swedges and the 0909 keeps the tradition. For a utility knife, a drop point blade is one my go-to choice and my fav one. The blade is rather tall and the grind is acute. Behind the cutting edge, the stock is surprisingly thin. The Paramilitary 2 is probably the one knife I own having thinner stock among the blades in comparable size I own. The slight downward angle of the blade minimises the wrist movements in cutting/slicing tasks and makes the 909 feel very natural in my hand. ZT have applied a flat grind starting at ¾ of the blade height, which gets nice and thin at the edge, while retaining a very robust tip. This results in a blade that manages to be both strong and an excellent slicer (always considering the 4 mm stock). I have read here some members questioned the strength of the tip of this blade and also a tip bending case was reported. I have used this knife rather extensively and did significant stabbing/torqueing and twisting on different materials. The tip in my blade responded very well, I confirm its robustness and didn’t experience any issue. Tip is very strong.

The cutting/slicing performances of the 0909 really surprised me with the ease that it went through any media I put it through. Fit and finish is good, with perfect grinds and a fine stonewash finish which I find very nice in the look department and has proved to hide scratch/use marks pretty well. The logos etched into the blade are discrete enough and also look cool, sometimes they appear like the old heliogravures under some type/angles of lighting. For me, ZT nailed their S35VN. In use, it held a great edge handling my usual EDC tasks like cutting pallet plastic straps, various polymeric, cardboard materials, different types of wood, food, etc. without any evidence of rolling or chipping. With the Lansky System stones I normally use, the 0909 sharpened up rather easily and took a nice, fine edge. There’s a good jimping on the thumb ramp but I find this more appealing aesthetically rather than useful in reality. It works somehow but, specially during detailed work barehanded, my thumb tend to slip over the top of the jimping rather than really “biting” in. The blade had no play whatsoever in the beginning, but, after a month of use and constant opening and closing, the pivot became a little loose giving the blade a bit of side to side play. With the pivot nut being a typical hex, I was able to tighten it easily using a 10 mm socket wrench. The 0909 came very sharp from the factory, with a clean and even grind; really impressed! The KVT bearing system make this knife deploy super-fast and super smooth, almost like I have an assisted opening knife in my hand. Deployment does not require any additional wrist movement. The momentum gained by this heavy blade gives it great opening speed and smooth operation on bearings. Finally, after my only other “lazy” flipper I own (the Lionsteel T.R.E.), I can indulge in flicking a flipper open with some fun!

For me, the 0909 has great ergonomics. The handle is nice and beefy, and offers a full hand grip for my medium to large hand size. It fits perfectly with gloves. In spite of its weight, the knife is very well balanced in my hand. The curves on the grip allowed me to get a nice, strong grip without any hot spots on my hand. The medium texture of the G-10 provides good grip, firm without being aggressive. The handle has a very good shape, the curve in the front acts somehow as a guard and the contour on the back locks my hand in place. Even when busy with tough cutting, like de-limbing branches, minor chopping, etc. I never felt like the knife was going to slip out of my hand. It offers a very secure grip. The 909's handle looks simple, even plain, when compared to what goes around today, but simple is good, in this case :thumbup:. The handle is heavy, due to the 2 mm thick solid steel liners without any skeletonizing. This lack of skeletonizing is a plus for me when it comes to cleaning the knife and I personally like the hefty feeling they conceive. Construction wise, everything is held together with a stout, old school hex pivot and two oversized standoffs threaded with chunky torx screws. Edges are rounded and the G10 is contoured steeply in the centre swell of the handle. The 909's handle feels comfortable in my hand in every grip I have tried. Bare handed the grip is good for me, however, it’s when wearing gloves that I find the handle to be just perfect. One thing I noticed when I have disassembled the knife for a major cleaning, is I found minor brownish staining on the liners. My knife has got wet/dirty several times and not always immediately cleaned and dried out properly. Probably some water/dirt must have found its way and stayed there long enough to cause this. I easily removed the staining with a cloth and some steel polisher, the type I use for kitchen sinks and hobs, it came back shinier than ever. The handle also features a lanyard hole.

Last edited:
The only thing I don’t like very much is the pocket clip. It looks to me a pretty low-end KAI USA clip. I still have the visual impression of it being a bit weak and “underdeveloped”, when compared to the overall size of the knife. I got used to it but I’d like something more proportionate. If you can suggest an alternative beefier and nicer clip, let me know! As far as functionality, anyway, I have no complaints about. It’s designed for tip up carry on both sides and it doesn’t get in my way even when gripping the knife hard. Clip tension is spot on allowing the knife to slide in and out of the pocket easily. The clip holds the knife securely clamped. Clip is not a deep carry type, it’s positioned allowing for enough handle to protrude from the pocket to give something more to grab when drawing the knife. The black coating has held up well until now.

The choice of a liner lock was for me unexpected in the ZT line up and also I consider this as a counter-trend decision, a rather brave one, compared to most other knives in this price range. Frame locks seems to still dominate the market for reasons I am not sure are only related to performance. I am not afraid of liner locks, on the contrary, if executed well, I think they are great locks. For me, the 0909’s 2 mm thick steel liner lock is as beefy as many frame locks and just as safe. Being steel-on-steel it should also be more wear resistant than titanium-on-steel. The lock on my 0909 is settled in nicely at around 30% and lock up “like a bank vault”, as many say around here. For me the lock is easy to disengage one handed, even with gloves due to the cut out on the mark side handle slab. I have read this also was a complaint from someone, but I think the perception and definition of “lock stick” varies from individual to individual. My very first opening of the 0909 blade confirmed the fact that ZT knows flippers. Smooth as silk, this thing fires out like a gun shot. For deployment (OK, blade opening), the ZT 0909 employs a KVT ball-bearing opening system, which is triggered by a finger flipper. As said, the hex pivot nut and bolt, which I find very good looking, function really well. The only down side of this bearing pivot is that it gets dirty easily and I happen to find some dirt in it. It never affected the action (the KVT bearings as such remain pretty clean) but, a couple of times, it felt somehow “sticky” and I had to clean it. Quick rinse under warm running water solved the issue but I still found some dirt got in there, when I disassembled the knife. Another minor issue I have with this hex nut pivot, though looking cool and being rugged, it’s that it can become a sort of snag point or an hotspot on the handle. I find the action of the 909 fast and smooth. I chalk this up to this apt combination of KVT bearings, liner lock and a heavy blade. In terms of reliability, the 909's liner lock provides a real benefit over a frame lock, as there is no chance of interfering with the deployment by pressing on the frame. In fact, using my index finger as pulling on a trigger, the 909 flips so authoritatively with a loud “thwack” that sometimes has intimidated the non-knives people around me. The flipper tab is very easy to operate also with gloves with the jimping providing good traction. The blade has excellent retention in the closed position. The liner lock has held up extremely well just as I had expected, because of the extra thick liners. The thick liner lock gives me confidence that the opened blade would not fail and fold into my fingers even during “heavy use”.

This is the first ZT I own and overall I am satisfied with it. For me this folder is a tough, hard hitting, heavy duty, take-on-anything knife. It is thick, heavy and big, by all means. It literally carries like a small brick in my pocket, but I knew that going in. I was not expecting a tiny, featherweight knife. It’s a men knife :) ! Yes, it’s definitely a large and heavy knife for my EDC standards, but large and heavy with a meaning, I get a lot back from its weight and size. The 0909 will surely see its fair share of pocket time also because, wearing mostly jeans and cargo pants in the office and working cloths on factory floors, weight and size aren’t really an issue for me. While hiking/camping I can always slide it in one of the Maxpedition Fatboy bag pockets or in the outer pouches of my slinger. Its cutting/slicing performances are impressive for a folder in this size. I really like the clean blade shape, the grind and I love the handles. Since this time I had the possibility to handle almost the whole chunky folders ZT line-up before my purchase, I can say I like the 0909 much better than the 0560/0561/0562/0566/0630, etc. It looks to me this is a knife that is designed first and foremost with performance and use in mind, and only after that are aesthetics a concern. True, it’s not the prettiest ZT ever made, it’s quite “plain”, if you know what I mean, it doesn’t have any “wow effect”, but the “wow” is coming when putting this tool to work. On the top of that, at this price (I paid 185 EUR), I consider this a good value for money item. I appreciate how the 0909 refused to follow the still strong market trend towards titanium frame locks and also how it looks back to ZT roots and identity to produce an overbuilt knife completely focused on function and hardworking while improving its functionality.

About its impact on the public, well, it has an impact :D. It’s huge, black, “tactical” and loud :). Not the best to peel my apple/cut my sandwich in an office environment, it literally scares people. Totally fine on factory floors, warehouses and loading bays, though. For me, I see this folder as an ideal outdoor activities, hiking/camping companion. Most of the fun with it I had in the woods, in fact.

I could recommend this knife to all those users which are looking for a stout, reliable folder that, in spite of its weight and dimensions retains an amazing cutting/slicing capability. For my uses it turned out to be a great hiking/camping companion when coupled with a small axe or a folding saw and it makes a great working knife.

Last edited:
Basic Specs

• Overall Length: 21.7 cm (8.5")
• Blade Length: 9.6 cm (3.8")
• Closed Length: 12.1 cm (4.75")
• Blade Thickness: 4 mm
• Blade Steel: S35VN
• Handle: G10 over 2 mm thick steel liners
• Lock: Steel liner lock
• Pivot hardware: KVT steel bearings
• Weight: 196 g (6 7/8 oz.)
• Country of origin: USA

Some pics

3147zw1.jpg

2v363af.jpg

1zge3bc.jpg

2py9ev7.jpg

6qe8ph.jpg

2jfyu5u.jpg

2wprypy.jpg

28buofn.jpg

10429eh.jpg

k1xj6r.jpg

2e1ao36.jpg

70w6bp.jpg

jrs612.jpg

2wnd5ah.jpg

34gsxnb.jpg

2u7tzrt.jpg

zoc3l4.jpg

63tzxy.jpg

20pygyc.jpg

n2bsqa.jpg

5cd76c.jpg

2h7pj4y.jpg

25isuok.jpg

One could not ask for a more complete review of a folder. It held my interest even though I am drawn to thinner blades, having little personal need for a heavy-duty blade. Many nicely done pics, all aspects of the knife well considered. It is a perfect review for the person who is searching for the "right" knife for the heavy-duty uses.
Thank you.

Hi!

@ Sonnydaze: Thanks for your kind feedback. Glad you liked my ramblings here :). Yes, as said, I am also much more into smaller and thinner folders but I like some overbuilt as well :D. They find a place in my type of use, specially outdoors. This ZT really surprised me in a good way :thumbup:! Take care.

@Herlock: Thanks a lot for this review, even though this isn't the first BF review on the ZT 0909. :thumbup:
I got my ZT 0909 just on this 1st of March. :D

@Herlock: Thanks a lot for this review, even though this isn't the first BF review on the ZT 0909. :thumbup:
I got my ZT 0909 just on this 1st of March. :D

Hi! Thank-you and congrats for your new acquisition! The ZT 0909 it's a great tool. Yes, I know this isn't the first review, I have read all the others myself :D. I think this is exactly the purpose of members writing here. We are so many and we are so different that it's good to read the sometimes very different impressions and experiences. This allows me to better understand if one knife is really for me or not. A little bit like a Tripadvisor for knives :D. Enjoy the ZT 0909 in good health!

great review! im thinking about getting this knife actually and this really helped

Thanks! Glad to know my write-up has been useful to some. I had some fun putting this together and share it but it doesn't come by itself :). So thanks for feedback! It's a good to great knife in its category, for me at least :thumbup:!

Great review!

I plan on getting one of these.

Just have to figure out when to add it to the already huge list of knives I am considering for 2017 and beyond.

Great review!

I plan on getting one of these.

Just have to figure out when to add it to the already huge list of knives I am considering for 2017 and beyond.

Hi! Thanks, glad it was useful for you :). One thing I have experienced: the slower the pace in new acquisitions, the more the joy in playing with the tool and the better the learning experience. I’m down to three/four new per year and I’m an happy camper :) !

Awesome review, thank you!

Thanks again MattBPKT! :)

Great review. Like you, I had reservations about ZT, but the thinner grind (and your review) convinced me to buy this. Everything in your review was spot on.

Looks like a nice simple and practical shaped blade and handle . Great steel too.
If you get one with a black blade how will you find it in the dark ?? LOL

If you own a ZT 0909, check your liner lock. Mine disengages VERY easily; a light tap on the back of a cushioned office chair disengages the lock (when I say light tap, I mean it; I'm not spine whacking the blade).

I'm considering sending it back to ZT. This is very disappointing; this is a heavy duty utility oriented knife and the thick liner lock should be better than this.

Edit: Maybe the lock will improve as it wears in?

If you own a ZT 0909, check your liner lock. Mine disengages VERY easily; a light tap on the back of a cushioned office chair disengages the lock (when I say light tap, I mean it; I'm not spine whacking the blade).

I'm considering sending it back to ZT. This is very disappointing; this is a heavy duty utility oriented knife and the thick liner lock should be better than this.

Edit: Maybe the lock will improve as it wears in?
Why even consider? That's not normal, send it in!

Why even consider? That's not normal, send it in!

I should, but I like the knife so much I'm reluctant to give it up!

If I put firm hand pressure on the blade, the lock doesn't disengage. It only disengages with taps.

Y-h-ETEcdgoeStQaEfi6F57J0hrNTom_P2-ARQmNg8YIZy6C0C7z7MtZCliKGfNQisUyw6KI7b-sA5s32Nd9e4ahjj7JZjprUyCaPWPyeVU29r4nmvIaeoFigPV9_76_kQ-epGEyf7iL1kj4GxlX2q3SoofGN4YC3y5i5AKRkPD01Fg5VrVtyLQyXoNYcr2cJyeFxuk9H6Nw7oFs71GKCeyJYU430VI0ICb5I5XWUDVH1D90rD7HQMYjLMC-twWmrATObc36iWQAdq-ULIF5GXUCfJH3R6QZQapPNpWLl3hQOgYXWIOkedVjxJ2JFqwx8QFHNdkmWt-OfWHPJ2a1siqhCz9OcLTGwDnNaCUyLIREyXGdvt2hD7t9dYbPyR_S_8RsgMtJeAQ86Dfn9XEXOHoc5io_4tGSSwIhWxI8ayFvHz8MMz658mSUOn6I6kT3Bl92D2iMglqyU9ynGGuk0jE0NDRLWuTP1JMgLT9NZexQMFCK_CgL8i-HmWmsb0fJiBYj8wpj9l0-xN4YRdJTCcAAac5Wi61v4Y1c_Cc9EqrlAKbT93-I0iOSaVMLVATrHvHEss9PV9Qi89zqIMQx43aF5_YcLucJ_xmVSLEv4lVjGLb3MaXW=w578-h770-no

Back