1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Zero Tolerance Current/Upcoming/Discontinued Models

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by RamZar, Apr 7, 2014.

1. RamZar

RamZar Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2013
    The ZT 0095BW sold by Springfield Armory is no different than the discontinued ZT 0095BW except for the Springfield Armory writing on both sides of the handle. SA is selling theirs for $249.00 but you can find the regular discontinued 0095BW for about $179.99 now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

skyhorse likes this.
  2. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    If I were a hardcore Springfield brand loyalist, I'd probably buy that. Even at the premium. But I also dig S&W, Colt, Glock, Browning, Ruger, Beretta, Sako, Taurus, NAA, Marlin....

Lapedog and ferider like this.
  3. ridnovir

ridnovir Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2012
  4. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    That branded 0095 seems like something Springfield should throw in if you buy a Socom 16 directly from them. Kind of a promotional but functional little extra.

bflying likes this.
  5. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    The ZT 0223 is horrid. The blade shape is very similar to the AP Primordial, though Adam did a fantastic job on his knife.

BigKurtHaze and Julian Williams like this.
  6. DNAIrradiator

DNAIrradiator Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2013
    If anyone at ZT reads this, @halden.doerge and I live very close to you. We’d be MORE than happy to come visit you prior to a new release for 5 minutes and give you our very educated insights on how a new model might fare, and even provide suggestions on how certain models might be improved. I’m sure you already have folks on tap to do this, but clearly everyone was out sick the day this one hit the table. The only price we’d ask for this is for you to please never again release something like this atrocity. Cheers, Radioactive

7. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Was there some past drama around the designer of the 0223? I thought I saw someone mention something about Tim in another thread.

8. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    I don't know about past drama, but he doesn't appear to have taken kindly to suggestions that the pointless perforations of the 0223 might weaken it somehow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BybdIToHaqQ/

9. DrRollinstein

DrRollinstein Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Yeah I've been following the Instagram drama. Not sure how bending the knife at the pivot has anything to do with the blade itself possibly being compromised.

DocJD likes this.
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Certainly relieved all my worries , because obviously the pivot will fail long before the perorated blade ! :rolleyes:

BigKurtHaze and Therom like this.
  11. halden.doerge

halden.doerge I'll Sharpen Your Knife Gold Member

Aug 17, 2014
    Yes. We are here. We can help. :D

12. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    IMO stop pin, pivot and blades are the main components of the knife resistance
    Locking mechanism comes way behind if you use your knife in the right direction ;)

13. Silent H

Silent H

Feb 1, 2018
    Yea, if you make the blade thick enough it doesn't matter! That must be why they thought it was a good idea.:D

If the blade stock was designed to cut, with say a .12" stock thickness (dare I say .10" even) it would still be plenty tough to satisfy the "hard use" marketing, but it may actually slice an apple or cut open a plastic clamshell with ease.

mdrgn79 and BigKurtHaze like this.
  14. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Don’t be silly, nobody uses a pocket knife for that. Cutting and prying through a car roof, that’s what people use pocket knives for.
    :rolleyes:

gotgoat and Therom like this.
  15. evilgreg

Dec 25, 2012
    Also car hoods, doors, and occasionally meat boots as documented in the Cold Steel proof videos depicting normal use cases.

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  16. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    At least CS still maintains it's manufactures forum here . Feel free to come over anytime to make fun ! :)

Don't think CS knives have too many superfluous holes , either . ;)

John_0917, insta9ves and evilgreg like this.
  17. evilgreg

Dec 25, 2012
    No sales pitch needed for me, meat boots or not some of my most-used knives are made by Cold Steel.

ZT does seem to have an interesting approach to community interaction/brand management. It's like this: Who should we have be our public face out there? Everybody hates my sister's dim-witted boy Thomas and he's unemployed, how about him? Alright, your obnoxious halfwit nephew Thomas it is. How should we handle criticism? No criticism will be allowed. What if it's constructive and it's being made by a fan of our brand? Anything less than fawning praise will not be tolerated.

John_0917, insta9ves, 3L3M3NT and 2 others like this.
  18. Knife Beater

Knife Beater

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree, love Gaylean's older Kershaw designs. Even though the detent is one of the weakest I've ever experienced, the JYD II is one of my favs.

19. BumblingBear

BumblingBear

Apr 19, 2015
    Jesus you guys weren't kidding about the 0223.

WTF is happening with ZT? Their stuff used to be some of my favorites in the knife world. The 0777 is legendary. Nowadays half of the stuff they put out looks like a gas station special and functions like crap. It's great for my wallet, but bad for the soul.

Julian Williams likes this.
  20. KVT

KVT Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2019
    I’m honestly wondering if they’ve borked up some of their collab relationships, or have gone through some sort of restructuring exercise or something. The little pieces I see from them on social seem to be arrogant and defensive on most things. Not a good look at the moment. Have they gone through some sort of internal changes?
    Does anybody on this forum have any inside connections with ZT?