Zion park flooding

Discussion in 'Wilderness & Survival Skills' started by sasha, Sep 18, 2015.

1. sasha

sasha

Feb 28, 2006
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/17/us/zion-national-park-fatalities/index.html

Well I just found that that I know the leader of the hike and one other person that died. Don-T and me we used to hike together as part of a meet up group. You guys would like him. Good guy always carried extra gear just in case. Easy and fun to talk with ready to help anyone. The kind of a guy that you would like to spend a day or a week in the woods with.
    Good strong hiker never seemed to take too many chances on hikes. I wish I knew more details about what happened. I hope to get more details later on. I still cant believe that Don knowingly would take a risk like that. I still cant get it into my head what happened.

2. ROCK6

ROCK6

Feb 8, 2004
    That is a very sad and tragic story...the details will be interesting. Our road trip to my family in Washington had a return route to spend a couple days in Zion, but a family emergency came up. We promised our son we would head out during our spring break and tracking the larger, regional weather patterns are critical to me. We're looking forward to the trip, but this is a sobering reminder about how dangerous slot canyons and even dry river beds can become in very little time.

ROCK6

3. tek77

tek77 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Sad story Sasha. Most of them were seasoned hikers....

4. Catherine_Montana

Catherine_Montana

Sep 10, 2014
    I am sorry for your loss.

Cate

5. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    Dry canyons are deceptive as to their danger. If I had my guess, they probably felt that there were enough places that would be high and dry in the event of a flash flood to avoid the danger. They were likely caught just at the worst moment in time and seven have paid the ultimate price.

6. sasha

sasha

Feb 28, 2006
    It seemed that it was bad luck on there part. A person who knew about the trip that was planned said they were ready and took all the precautions. Don researched the trip and planned on it for months. As bad to say it as it is, It was bad luck on there part. Its easy with hindsight to say what could have been done or what should have been done.
    Even the best prepared people get hurt when mother nature throws a curve in your direction. You can only prepare and get ready so much. Its one thing to read a paper about someone that got hurt and another when you know the person.

7. OwenM

OwenM

Oct 26, 2000
    If it helps understanding what and how this happened, Keyhole is a short, narrow canyoneering route, not a "hike". It's an easy beginner route as far as technical canyons go(people take their kids <10yrs old through it). Generally very low risk with just a couple of short rappels and downclimbs, but that has nothing to do with its danger in the event of a flash flood. It's narrow, and already has a corridor less than armspan wide that requires wading or swimming depending on the water level.
    So...they were basically in an underground tunnel that filled up with water. Short of avoiding the canyon due to a storm being forecast(which it apparently was not), there was really nothing that could have been done to prevent this.

http://www.canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/technical/keyhole-canyon/

8. sasha

sasha

Feb 28, 2006
    Thanks for the info Owen.