Zippo if I don't smoke?

LA11Sz7.jpg

cool factor.

This is largely why people own Zippos. They are fun. There is something very addictive and satisfying about playing with them. Even more so than flicking a knife, because of well, you know, the fire.

For those concerned about smell & flavor the Black can fluid is a new formula much less noticeable.

And everyone needs at least one Zippo
100_0582.jpg

I carried one when I smoked and had the same complaints as most posters here.
Then again, it was good for this:

gEFN6sW.gif

Carried one while in grade school. Kinda ruins the taste of good trees.

Yeah the down side is the leaking after being filled. Most people over fill them. If you only go about 3/4 full they don't seem to leak.
I might have to do a test to see how long the fluid last with a stock lighter,one with a ranger band and one with duck tape. I would think one stored with duck tape would be good for now on. Anything to make them air tight should keep the fluid from evaporating. Can't believe Zippo has never designed one with a air tight lid.

Your right there I can't believe zippo hasn't made one air tight either. The zippo's are heavier than a bic but one thing I don't like about the bic is when it's real cold out it will hardly light and the wind will blow it out quite easily. The zippo though is just the opposite in that regard as it'll stand up to wind better and the cold doesn't seem to bother it. I do like the Zippos but the smell and taste of the fluid isn't very nice. I guess one of those butane type torch ligthers may work better in bad/cold weather I dunno.

I didn't know they now made inserts, I'll have to check that out. As to what I carry, usually a Bic, but sometimes for nostalgia's sake, I carry my Grampa's old Park Sherman, which is pretty much a zippo style,was made here in the town I live in, and DOES have a sealed chamber, mostly sealed anyway. You can get the bottom piece off to change the wick and wadding, but for normal fill ups and flints there are two screws you can remove with a dime. The flint screw stores an extra flint too, but I always did that with regular zippos by just putting a couple in the cotton on the bottom where you can just pull them out if needed. In an absolute emergency situation, a zippo WILL burn most fuels, although some will gum it up so bad it becomes unusable. Another neat lighter is the trench lighter, and there's another European issue lighter that holds up well too. Another tip is, when a Bic dies, it still normally has a HUGE flint in it, just pop it out and it fights right in the zippo perfectly.

I didn't know they made inserts either! I just ordered on on eBay for $14. That will make a nice change for my new Anne Stokes Zippo.

Should I get a Zippo even if I don't smoke? They have a customization option where you put any picture you want, leaving me with it's shiny, functional, looks good, and USA made with lifetime warranty. And as Spyderco doesn't look like they will have enough s110v paramilitaries by Christmas, this would be my gift for the holidays.

I don't smoke, but I carry a lighter with me all the time. I commute on the highway to work everyday and in the winter it can get pretty damn cold. A lighter and a dozen tea lights in your vehicle can make a world of difference if you ever break down and need heat. I also keep a bottle of zippo fluid in my vehicle. Have you tried the zippo hand warmers? They are awesome, too. They will last about 6-9 hours once you fill and light them.

When I used to smoke it was always "Zippo" all the way and the stink & the taste never really bothered me at all back in the time.! But along came "mouth Cancer" and changed all of that as to when they said that I quit smoking the day I found the ""C"" word coming out of the Dr's mouth and I have never looked back since the operation and the Chemo & Radiation ect. ~ ect. ~ ect. ! Still have some of my Marlboro Lighters collection but no Pipes or Cigars or Cigarettes for me and I do not regret quitting that bad habit one bit.! I just save that money now and spend it on Knives ect. instead of up in Smoke.!^^ LOL {{ can't take it with you }} $$$$$$$$$$$<<<<<<<

When I used to smoke it was always "Zippo" all the way and the stink & the taste never really bothered me at all back in the time.! But along came "mouth Cancer" and changed all of that as to when they said that I quit smoking the day I found the ""C"" word coming out of the Dr's mouth and I have never looked back since the operation and the Chemo & Radiation ect. ~ ect. ~ ect. ! Still have some of my Marlboro Lighters collection but no Pipes or Cigars or Cigarettes for me and I do not regret quitting that bad habit one bit.! I just save that money now and spend it on Knives ect. instead of up in Smoke.!^^ LOL {{ can't take it with you }} $$$$$$$$$$$<<<<<<<

Sounds like you got it beat! Glad to hear that.

Good lighters, lots of nostalgia, but the last few years I've been carrying a BiC in the emergency kit. They're light, never seem to leak, and last a long time. Though I do still like that Zippo/Ronson fuel smell when you flip open the Zippo.

Hey Brother God bless you for having the strength to make it through and beating cancer. Take care.

Thanks everyone for your input, I actually have a plan set up now for the zippo and some add ons! Definitely going with that Thunderbird insert, thanks @TAH for the pic. Also getting a ranger band.

I have a few pics lined up for the printing on the presentation side, let me know maybe which you'd pick, my Daughter is going for us holding hands on the beach, but the other kids would be left out. The other 2 scenes are camping spots we love. The pic with the boat would work because I can place the mountains on the lid and it would break the picture I think better than the other 2.

P1080317_zpstxdtmqtd.jpg

SAM_0930_zpstmkuspzi.jpg

SAM_0495_zpstvktaz2h.jpg

Does the thunderbird insert keep burning until I close the lid just like the original? Or would I have to keep a button pressed constantly, like on a bic?

Back