Zippo Question????

If you have to ask,then I guess you don't need one.:DI use mine for just about everything Absintheur said along with lighting torches,and for about 8 months out of the year,I usually end up lighting fires at least once a week.

If you do use your lighter often, then I can understand, as it is the same reason why I carry a knife.

But giving a list of reasons to carry your lighter...a list of examples isn't a completely valid point. I use my cellphone only to make calls, yet, it's probably the most used thing out of what I carry every day.

I'm not speaking out against carrying a lighter. I'm against carrying anything for no good reason.

And Sharp Phil, I (Or my friend in the case of the OP) might be able to find use for a powerful graphing calculator every once in a while. That's not a good reason to carry one with me every day.

If you're carrying just because you like lighters...That's a different story. In the same boat as decorative keychains.

Well, now you're just being silly.

Why? Because I took a side and gave defense to it? I don't carry things that my friends or I might use once every blue moon. That makes perfect sense.

If you've got nothing to say, don't. "Now you're just being silly" is your filler for an absence of defense for your position.

No, because you were presented with multiple reasons why such an item is useful for daily carry and, instead of acknowledging these, you dismissed them and chose (oddly) to compare a lighter to a scientific calculator. That's silly.

I could find an occasional use for a protractor, too, but I don't carry one every day. That still doesn't mean a lighter is not useful and worth the trouble to carry one. Offering non sequitur in response to reasoned argument is also silly.

If you do use your lighter often, then I can understand, as it is the same reason why I carry a knife.

But giving a list of reasons to carry your lighter...a list of examples isn't a completely valid point. I use my cellphone only to make calls, yet, it's probably the most used thing out of what I carry every day.

I'm not speaking out against carrying a lighter. I'm against carrying anything for no good reason.

And Sharp Phil, I (Or my friend in the case of the OP) might be able to find use for a powerful graphing calculator every once in a while. That's not a good reason to carry one with me every day.

If you're carrying just because you like lighters...That's a different story. In the same boat as decorative keychains.

I have only used a handgun twice in self-defense in my lifetime. That means in about 11,000 days of carrying it I have needed it about .0000018% of the time and so by your figuring I don't have a good reason to carry it. However if I was not carrying it those two times there is a good chance I would have lost my life. I do smoke but my lighter is used daily for things other than lighting smokes. Yesterday my lighter removed a hanging thread from my shirt, lit a candle, and served as a card guard in a poker game. And yes...it lit my cigarettes.

I don't understand how you can say that being able to make a list of useful reasons to carry anything...a lighter, knife, cell phone...isn't a valid reason to do so.

Carry a butane lighter. Zippos are cool, nostalgic, what ever
Two weeks later its useless. You spend all your cash (albeit, cheap) on lighter fluid and rarely using it.

You can also spend twenty minutes trying to light a butane lighter in the wind to no result, while the guy with the Zippo is already happily puffing away.

Carry a butane lighter. Zippos are cool, nostalgic, what ever
Two weeks later its useless. You spend all your cash (albeit, cheap) on lighter fluid and rarely using it.

They wear out after two weeks?!?!?

WOW!

and to think some of mine get used daily and they are over 50 years old....

A 12oz can of lighter fluid $2.99 will last me about 6 months (using it to keep several lighters full), I think I can afford that. I buy flints even less often and store them under the felt in the lighter. If need be I can burn quite a few fuels in my Zippo including gas, diesel, kerosene, lantern fuel, lamp oil, booze...that Bic runs out and you are SOL.

Yes I can make fire in several ways, I can rub two sticks together, take the battery out of electronic items and combine with steel wool from my cleaning kit, pull a bullet and use the powder and primer...but it is so much easier to pull out a lighter. I do keep Bics hanging around for emergencies but remember no has made a perfect seal and the do slowly leak out...check them every now and them especially if left in a car. But if you get in the habit of filling your Zippo every now and then you can always depend on it.

No, because you were presented with multiple reasons why such an item is useful for daily carry and, instead of acknowledging these, you dismissed them and chose (oddly) to compare a lighter to a scientific calculator. That's silly.

I could find an occasional use for a protractor, too, but I don't carry one every day. That still doesn't mean a lighter is not useful and worth the trouble to carry one. Offering non sequitur in response to reasoned argument is also silly.

Then you're addressing a completely different arguement. Nowhere did I say a Zippo is useless. I said a Zippo is useless if it will never receive use, and for that, there is no point in carrying one.

Your tu quo que is silly :grumpy:

Absintheur, you pretty much verified my point. No matter how long or short the list is, the importance of the item in question isn't swayed. You are only gonna shoot attackers with your gun. It's a one item list. But that gun can save your life. The argument that it won't receive use often but is still important is a very good point, but in my opinion it's a different situation, as your life may hinge whether or not you carry a gun.

Carrying a lighter so your friends can light up may just cause your buddy mild discomfort because he can't get some nicotine. You might as well carry the cigarettes for him, too.

Then you're addressing a completely different arguement. Nowhere did I say a Zippo is useless. I said a Zippo is useless if it will never receive use, and for that, there is no point in carrying one.

Your tu quo que is silly :grumpy:

Absintheur, you pretty much verified my point. No matter how long or short the list is, the importance of the item in question isn't swayed. You are only gonna shoot attackers with your gun. It's a one item list. But that gun can save your life. The argument that it won't receive use often but is still important is a very good point, but in my opinion it's a different situation, as your life may hinge whether or not you carry a gun.

Carrying a lighter so your friends can light up may just cause your buddy mild discomfort because he can't get some nicotine. You might as well carry the cigarettes for him, too.

Again, you're assuming that lighting cigarettes (for yourself or a friend) is the only daily use for a lighter, as opposed to the ever-growing lists above.

Even if I don't use my flashlight every day, I still carry it daily. Replacing batteries is just a maintenance cost. It's just something that when you need it, you need it. Like a Flat Kit you'd throw in the trunk that you might never need.

Under ideal conditions, a Bic will work just as well as a Zippo. But when was the last time conditions were ever ideal? Yeah, a Zippo will go dry in two weeks, but a disposable Bic is fugly. (Am I allowed to say fugly in G&G :confused:?)

You can buy a Utility Knife from a dollar store and for two months of occasional use it will cut just as well as your treasured Seb. Then you throw it out and buy another one. That's the key word: "treasured".

To paraphrase: "This is my lighter. There are many like it, but this one is mine." :D

There's a reason people still polish their shoes by hand instead of wearing sneakers. There's a reason people hold on to their grandfather's Case or carry a clumsy fob watch even though there are clocks everywhere. It's because an object can be more than its purpose.

Like many others on this tread, even though I no longer smoke, I still use my lighter 2-3 times a week, sometimes never. It's just something that comes in handy, and as long as I'm carrying a fire-source, why not invest in something I can proudly hand on to my grandkids someday?

And like I've said before, if you've ever successfully broken the ice with a disposable Bic, either you've got a LOT of game, or she was VERY drunk. :p

i'm actually with jeffrey on this one
i bought a windmill delta like ages ago, and i didn't carry it with me until i picked up smoking
not once did i ever think to myself, damn, i should've brought a lighter out with me

some of you are using ad hominem arguments when the fact is, it's just a personal choice
i carry gloves and an m3t in my bag and i get strange looks all the time when people catch a glimpse
but i actually do get to use them when i go about my job (i'm a renovation contractor, btw)
reiterating jeffrey's point, it's just weird to carry a lighter around on the off chance that an attractive, FEMALE smoker doesn't have a lighter and you want to score brownie points

btw, bics are the fugly ones right? yea, they're hard to light in strong wind, that's why they make the windproof ones, yes?

Well that's exactly the point of everything, isn't it? We carry Gadgets & Gear because we want to. :p

Anyway, the point I was trying to (not-so-eloquently) make, was that the OP and others here often choose to carry a lighter (Zippo or not), simply because they feel they might need one, regardless of any smoking-related issues. I keep a pair of work gloves in my desk at work, because I need them maybe once a week. I carry a lighter, which I might use less than once a week, simply because I like to. I don't carry a cellphone, because try as I might, I just can't find use for one.

There are plenty of non-smoking related uses that one could need a lighter for. Whether you'd like to carry one daily, well, that's entirely a personal choice, isn't it? :)

Yeah, they make some pretty good windproof butane lighters. I have a couple that I carry outdoors :eek:. But a Zippo is like grandma's apple pie, and these modern doodads are like McD's "apple pie" :D, just not emotionally satisfying.

I carry a Zippo if I'm going out OUT (not to the grocery store etc.). Not a cigarette smoker, not going to be starting any camp fires... but they're versatile beyond the 'fire' aspect. They can light up a small room if necessary (backup flashlight), open up beer bottles, fun to flip around and do tricks - and I admire the simplicity and design of Zippo's.

Fire and knives are the oldest tools of mankind and still have a place in our fast paced, technology-driven society.

jeffreyliu838 - I wouldn't carry one for the specific purpose of providing a light for someone who forgot their Bic at home, anymore than I would carry a small beater knife to hand out when someone needs to cut something. But some people do and that's ok too. :)

I would say there are times and places you life may hinge on being able to start a fire quickly as well, I have been there. Long before I started smoking, I was a Boy Scout and we were camping during the winter at the Klondike Derby when one of the guys thought the ice on the river was think enough to play on...it wasn't. I don't know he would have died but being able to very quickly get a fire started made his life much easier. I can just think of too many thinks a lighter can be used for besides smoking. I can not count the time someone has asked to borrow my lighter for things other than smoking as well. There simply is not a good reason not to carry one. Period. (personal choice not withstanding)

Last edited:
What's the point of carrying a lighter daily (Daily... Not criticizing all zippo carriers) if you won't use it? It's understandable if you will need it, but carrying just so you can whip it out when someone wants to light up is dumb, IMO. OP, is there a reason you want to carry a Zippo?

On topic, it will evaporate.

With the exception of my Schrade Stockman, everything in my EDC fits in the category of not necessarily needed every day. Hell, if it isn't night, I don't use my flashlight. If I don't have big cutting projects, the Mora doesn't come off the belt. So...yea...this argument, I guess you could call it, makes no sense...

Some of you guys need to understand. I never said you need to use something everyday for an EDC to be effective. Nor did I say a Zippo is useless. I said useless items are useless (Redundant, I know, but some of you guys just don't get it)...

Great job sharp phil, you're so smart :jerkit: What, you think responding to a serious post with an insulting sentence makes you look smart, witty, or whatever? Carrying something for no reason is mall ninja status, buddy, no matter how you spin it.

Guys I think this thread is getting turned into a war about the practicality of EDCing. Me personally I'll get this out of the way I agree with DonTomas, items take on a larger value than their uses. I like carrying around a Zippo, and they can definitely come in handy.

Some of you guys need to understand. I never said you need to use something everyday for an EDC to be effective. Nor did I say a Zippo is useless. I said useless items are useless (Redundant, I know, but some of you guys just don't get it)...

Great job sharp phil, you're so smart :jerkit: What, you think responding to a serious post with an insulting sentence makes you look smart, witty, or whatever? Carrying something for no reason is mall ninja status, buddy, no matter how you spin it.

Calm down, young man. Your replies were out of line and you know it; that much as been explained to you by several participants to this thread.

Back