Zlatoust

This steel known as best soviet stainless steel. It has 1.1%C and 17% Cr - so it at the top inside 440C composition scale (which is C=0.95-1.2 Cr=16-18). So it is topgrade steel in terms of composition. When I sharpened it - it feels also as premium steel - ATS-34.

I did not run any tests so far but it feels like premium steel when cuts, also.

USSR had really good metallurgy, they invent several new technologies, keeping West bit behind at that time - electro slug remelting (which Hitachy secretly adopt to make their YSS steel), for example.

And design of RosOruzhie is just amaizing, I recently bougt new knives from them I'll post pictures later.

Also what I noticed - unexpected very good quality. Usially in USSR quality was always an issue until this is not weapons for army. Well, not any more! Assembling and overall quaility is as american knives made in Japan or even better. I highly recomment birch bark handle - IMHO best handle material.

You may see some pics here:

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/RosArms-Edelveis.html

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/RosArms-Fox-II.html

Thansk, Vassili.

nozh2002 said:
Also what I noticed - unexpected very good quality. Usially in USSR quality was always an issue until this is not weapons for army.

Well, if you are talking "domestic", i'd agree, but "export" always was a different story!:)
I've got two of those;-"Resquer-2" and "Russian-3" with "pressed leather", and "birch nodule" handles. Love it!:cool:

Unfortunatley, i'm not so good in "shapening skills", any recomendation in that case?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

solo said:
Well, if you are talking "domestic", i'd agree, but "export" always was a different story!:)
I've got two of those;-"Resquer-2" and "Russian-3" with "pressed leather", and "birch nodule" handles. Love it!:cool:

Unfortunatley, i'm not so good in "shapening skills", any recomendation in that case?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

I doubt that now in Russia they make difference between export and domestic, majority of their market is Russia, and now to survive with all this chinese cheap cuttlery flouded the market reproducing everything, you have to offer outstanding quality.

I use Diamond Products Eze Lap medium and extra fine and then diamond powder on leather (for all my knives, 110X18MSHD again as easy to sharpen as any top grape steel). You may check my site for detais (if you read Russian)

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/SpydercoSharpmaker.html

Thanks, Vassili.

That Fox is a pretty nice looking blade. Is the handle made out of cork? The prices aren't bad either.

Laceration said:
Is the bark handle oiled or lacquered?

I am not sure, does not look like oiled or lacquered. May be waxed a bit? Looks like did not treated at all - it is not sticky, and there is no visible film on the surfase. Original technology require wax bath for some time so wax penetrates bark, but I am not sure does RosArms doing this or not. Birch bark is quite dence by nature - it suppose to protect tree fron enviroment.

Let me do some research...

Thanks, Vassili.

Birch bark is traditional material for Scandinavian countries and east-north part of Russia. Birch bark is waxed! There is no lacque or oil. I'm sure they have a special "know how" - mixed of natural bee wax and some other things:"...The ancient way of processing of wooden surfaces is applied to qualitative processing of handles. Sanded and carefully polished handle is staining. The stain is a infusion of a cork of various kinds of trees on alchohol base. After staining handle is drying, polishing and within one hour is maintaining in a boiling solution (wax beer, a varnish, etc. components). Then handle is finally polishing. As a result it turns out durable, qualitative and warm handle for a knife with amazing waterproof effect.." And handle is absolutely not sticky!

hardheart said:
have you handled the leather handled knives?

Yes. Taiga. Much better then any other leather handles I handle before. Leather is very thin, thiner then on KaBar 1217 about 5 times. They manage to make it looks really nice - with that yellow and wight stripes:

RosArms-Taiga-02.jpg

Also it is non sticky.

You may sew some more pictures here in my blog:

http://playground.sun.com/~vasya/jornal.html

I made more pictures, but I will upload them tommorow to my website.

Thanks, Vassili.

hardheart said:
have you handled the leather handled knives?
If you want to see more knives with leather handle come to see ROSarms table at the St. Lous show or booth at the Shot Show 2006 (Las Vegas)

Back