Zombie Survival Guide

Any of you zombie obsessed guys read any of Max Brooks' stuff? looks interesting, I wonder if a khuk gets a mention in either of his books. My brother strognly recommended World War Z to me, was hoping for a second opinion since my brothers rep is spotty. Although they look interesting enough that I'll probably pick em up either way.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/zombiesurvivalguide/

Ahhh the monthly Zombie Survival Guide thread:D

I love both of those books. Sadly, a khuk is found in neither of them. The guide sort of reads like a very wry survival manual. Actually, about 80% of the stuff in that book makes sense given the explination and reasoning for it. Some of the stuff i don't QUITE agree with, but it's a good read. The last 30 or 40 pages are just "historical" records of zombie outbreaks through out the world's history. Lots of thought went into those. i'll give him that;)

Now, for World War Z. I really enjoyed the heck out of this book. Just keep in mind this is not a book about zomibes. It's about the rise of the zombies, the near extinction of man, and tactics used to deal with the zombies' superior numbers. It's a book a mankind dealing with zombies. It also holds a mirror up to the ugliness of man when the SHTF. It also plays the story straight. Not a lot of up close descriptions of zombies ripping out guts and throats, but it places you in the universe where this very tangible and real threat hits the world all at once. Since it is told by so many perspectives, it makes for a pretty easy read. Brooks also does a good job of making his chacters sound different. I'm no writer, but that has to be difficult telling a part of a story for pages on end using a different writing style for each person. Very cool read. Steely gives it two severed zombie thumbs up:D

Now, if you want to read a novle about people dealing with zombies up close, then check out Brian Keene's books The Rising and City of the Dead. You want to talk about a hopeless situation! Zombies come to life when a scientific experiment goes wrong and breaks open the gateway to the Void where God imprisoned these very old school demons eons ago. They not only take over humans, but dogs, cats, rats, sharks, snakes...anything mammal, reptile, fish, or avian as long as the brain is intact. They are also intelligent and use weapons!:eek: On top of that, after this first wave of zombies, then they will take over all the insects and plant life! It's a really grim book, but you'll be glued to it.
I didn't read The Rising because i started out of order and picked up City of the Dead first. Kind of pointless to go back and get scared for certain people when you know that they are going to live or die:rolleyes: I really enjoyed them. Lots of blood and guts if that is your cup o' tea.

Jake

cool, World War Z sounds right up my alley, gonna see if I can find that in the local shop today, should have figured it was old news to you guys hehe, just found a thread not much more than a month old with a quick search, sorry for starting another

Most of us in the forum have been fighting Zombies long enough not to need a guide.

munk

Back