Zomstro question (OK to post here?)

All,

This isn't technically a Becker question (so the moderators may tell me to move it), but I am posting here because for some reason I feel as if I may get "better", more experienced based answers from Beckerheads (officially numbered Beckerheads or otherwise.)

I am more of a saw user when it comes to cutting up stuff. This raises some interesting "energy expended" questions better left for another thread. Apart from that, another reason I favor a saw is because I don't chop enough to be accurate enough to suit me. For the same reason, I am a fan of batoning. I actually own a froe! But I also baton knives. I understand Beckers are quite tough, but the more expensive the knife, the more I hate to, using Ethan's words, "club it." Things can happen, and some knives are not easily replaced, the BK20 being only one example.

So, with too much background already, I just jumped on a Zomstro at closeout price. How good is this thing for batoning? It is 1/4" thick 1095 Cro Van, which is good. But it is a deep, flat-ground blade. This means the blade might be a bit thin at the edge, meaning less robust, and that is not good. The blade might also be nice and "wedgie", but I don't know if that is a good thing. For one thing, it contributes to drag. Another point many don't consider is that froes, which are designed to be batoned (clubbed), tend to be thick, not deep, and dull ("dull as a froe" being an old saying.) Some believe that if the blade is shaped correctly, the wood is actually splitting "ahead" of the edge, meaning the edge is important only to start the process, and doesn't have much contact once the blade is fully in the wood. The shape of the Zomstro blade does not promote such a splitting action.

Anyway, short version: How well does the Zomstro baton?

Thanks all,
Gun Doc

Last edited:
I would imagine posting in the Ka-Bar subforum would be not only the correct place but should get some Beckerhead input as well considering the crossover.

I would imagine it batons as well as my BK20 which is flat ground 0.25" stock, but the thicker rougher coating may hamper it a bit. I wouldn't be scared of beating on it, that's for sure. I have a Parangatang and have pounded it through all sorts of crap without any damage.

It's a very thin blade, because of the height - I would not baton with it.
OTOH, it'd make an awesome veggie knife or meat cleaver/carver - so long as you're not trying to chop through heavy bones.

All,

This isn't technically a Becker question (so the moderators may tell me to move it), but I am posting here because for some reason I feel as if I may get "better", more experienced based answers from Beckerheads (officially numbered Beckerheads or otherwise.)

I am more of a saw user when it comes to cutting up stuff. This raises some interesting "energy expended" questions better left for another thread. Apart from that, another reason I favor a saw is because I don't chop enough to be accurate enough to suit me. For the same reason, I am a fan of batoning. I actually own a froe! But I also baton knives. I understand Beckers are quite tough, but the more expensive the knife, the more I hate to, using Ethan's words, "club it." Things can happen, and some knives are not easily replaced.

So, with too much background already, I just jumped on a Zomstro at closeout price. How good is this thing for batoning? It is 1/4" thick 1095 Cro Van, which is good. But it is a deep, flat-ground blade. This means the blade might be a bit thin at the edge, meaning less robust, and that is not good. The blade might also be nice and "wedgie", but I don't know if that is a good thing. For one thing, it contributes to drag. Another point many don't consider is that froes, which are designed to be batoned (clubbed), tend to be thick, not deep, and dull ("dull as a froe" being an old saying.) Some believe that if the blade is shaped correctly, the wood is actually splitting "ahead" of the edge, meaning the edge is important only to start the process, and doesn't have much contact once the blade is fully in the wood. The shape of the Zomstro blade does not promote such a splitting action.

Anyway, short version: How well does the Zomstro baton?

Thanks all,
Gun Doc
I posted a few pics of my Zomstro over on the KaBar site. It seems to baton just fine and I will agree with Vic it is an amazing slicer :D I'am bad and don't always take pics every time but I can say it seems to be very a capable Blade :thumbsup:

"thick out" the edge a bit by convexing, and baton like a mad person. mine takes it.

Back