ZT 0562CF blade lockface corner touching stop pin?

rileybassman1

Gold Member
Question for anyone here who has any thoughts/experiences...

I was blissfully flicking my 0562 during a documentary the other night and was noticing a very slight hiccup in the closing... I assumed it was a piece of grit or something and took it apart, clean, lubed, and put it back together... but it was still doing it.

I looked it over and noticed that the very corner of the lockface ever so slightly touches the stop pin... I took it apart again like 2-3 times and try and remedy it, but never could get it to go away... there are slight marks on the pin where it is contacting.

Is this normal? Seems odd to me... action is fantastic other then that... solid lockup, good centering etc... or is there some sort of trick I am missing on re-assembly?

Seems like a design flaw?

83j8cOvh.jpg

Maybe the pin is slightly misshapen and is not perfectly cylindrical, meaning that you should try rotating it or reversing it? Doubtful but it's worth a try.

I think it's more likely that your blade tang was simply misground, and that's just a permanent issue you'll have to deal with or send in for repair. That pin is not supposed to contact the lock contact face on the blade tang.

Maybe the pin is slightly misshapen and is not perfectly cylindrical, meaning that you should try rotating it or reversing it? Doubtful but it's worth a try.

I think it's more likely that your blade tang was simply misground, and that's just a permanent issue you'll have to deal with or send in for repair. That pin is not supposed to contact the lock contact face on the blade tang.

I have tried rotating the pin... it can help, but I think it's more due to the fact that it's more worn in one spot... it's very slight... I'll probably live with it or maybe slightly polish/sand that one spot on the pin... idk

I just wasn't sure if others with that model have seen that as well.

Is it a new knife or have you had it awhile and it just started this?

Is it a new knife or have you had it awhile and it just started this?
Had it for a couple months... hadn't really noticed till last night to be honest... it literally feels like there is just a tiny amount of grit in one spot, but it's that spot on the tang.

I'm noticing when compared to my 0393, that the 0562 is quite sharp on that far side of the lock face, the 0393 is rounded and smoothed out on the far side (like 100% lockup side)... I may just hit that sharp corner with some sandpaper and I bet that will take care of it - I'm wondering if whoever was buffing that day just missed that one spot... lockup is like 40-50%... I can't imagine that rounding off the very far corner would make much of a difference?

Either way... that's some crazy tight clearances - does anyone have any pics of their 0562 when the tang/lockface is passing the stop bar?

Had it for a couple months... hadn't really noticed till last night to be honest... it literally feels like there is just a tiny amount of grit in one spot, but it's that spot on the tang.

I'm noticing when compared to my 0393, that the 0562 is quite sharp on that far side of the lock face, the 0393 is rounded and smoothed out on the far side (like 100% lockup side)... I may just hit that sharp corner with some sandpaper and I bet that will take care of it - I'm wondering if whoever was buffing that day just missed that one spot... lockup is like 40-50%... I can't imagine that rounding off the very far corner would make much of a difference?

Either way... that's some crazy tight clearances - does anyone have any pics of their 0562 when the tang/lockface is passing the stop bar?

I don't have a CF, but my 562blk gets pretty close to the pin when the action cycles. Hard to catch it exactly, but this is about as close as it appears to get.

3SUolfG.jpg

I'm noticing when compared to my 0393, that the 0562 is quite sharp on that far side of the lock face, the 0393 is rounded and smoothed out on the far side (like 100% lockup side)... I may just hit that sharp corner with some sandpaper and I bet that will take care of it - I'm wondering if whoever was buffing that day just missed that one spot...
I'm thinking it was just some blade finishing step that had been forgotten too. Most of my ZT's have been good, but I've encoutered a few with issues kind of like this. I wonder how many got out the factory like this before they caught the issue. Hope you're able to get it fixed easily!

Ok so I think that was it... I hit it wiht some 600 then 1k then 2k sandpaper on the corner and rounded it a bit till it looked close to my 0393... before and after pics... it's not much but it got rid of the snag and it's a silky close now. Alls well that ends well I suppose lol... kinda a bummer it was needed but I don't mind 10 mins of work.

Figured this thread may help someone else if they run into a similar issue.

Before:
WpIcHfNh.jpg

After:
2A4KPDnh.jpg

7IjCuPUh.jpg

Back