ZT 0909 or...?

I'm thinking of making an addition to my edc options and was hoping to get a bit of guidance from the collective wisdom of the forum. My current work edc is a Victorinox Swisstool and a Benchmade Adamas 2750. I like the Adamas, and it does most tasks I need it to do splendidly, but it does leave some room for improvement.

I'm a rancher and I'm in the process of updating and adding to my cattle water piping system. I originally picked up the Adamas after my wet multitool slipped in my hand while cutting and splicing a water line (black PE pipe) giving me a rather nasty cut. The Adamas is definitely secure in hand, but the thick cutting geometry gives me more trouble cutting pipe than I had thought it would, so I'm looking for something with better geometry but still very robust.

What I'm looking for:
-4-ish inch blade (figure 1/4" either side of 4).
-Handle shape that helps prevent hand slipping when wet.
-Robust, but still a very good cutter.
-Reliable lock, even when wet. The easiest way I've found to start the cut is to push the tip of the blade into the top of the pipe, then lever the blade to extend the cut. I don't want it folding up on my fingers while I'm doing this.
-Pocket clip is mandatory.
-Open to any sort of one hand opening style that doesn't interfere with cutting through a fairly rigid material (like thumb studs too far out over the edge to be out of the way for cutting).
-Budget of up to around $250, though less is better.

I'm currently looking at the ZT 0909 as a front runner, so info on that blade plus suggestions on what else I should be considering would be most appreciated.

I think the ZT0909 would work well for you. I have not used mine in wet conditions so I can not say how it holds up. I think it cuts well but have never carried an Adamas so I can not say how they would compare. A few other suggestions I have would be the ZT0303 and ZT0562ORBLk. The ZT0303 is a little above your price range but you can possibly find a used 300 or 301 on the exchange if you do not want to pay $272 new. The 303 is robust, has good grip in wet conditions and despite its size is a good cutter. The reason I suggested the ZT0562ORBLK over the 562CF or 562 is because of the very grippy texture of the orange G10. I think it would work best for you in a wet environment. It is a little smaller in blade length but of the ones I have suggested I think it will be your best cutter.

Here is a pic of the ZT0909, Adamas, 303 and 562ORBLK together for some size comparison for you.

I am sure others who do more work in wet conditions will chime in with some good suggestions.

Good luck in your decision!

https://flic.kr/p/Poqtiq https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

Last edited:
I am looking for a knife with the same criteria you listed, so I hope there is plenty of input here. I thought I had found everything I needed in an 810 Contego, but the liners have worn and the blade no longer locks up tight. It is surprisingly hard to find a good "working" knife.

I think the ZT0909 would work well for you. I have not used mine in wet conditions so I can not say how it holds up. I think it cuts well but have never carried an Adamas so I can not say how they would compare. A few other suggestions I have would be the ZT0303 and ZT0562ORBLk. The ZT0303 is a little above your price range but you can possibly find a used 300 or 301 on the exchange if you do not want to pay $272 new. The 303 is robust, has good grip in wet conditions and despite its size is a good cutter. The reason I suggested the ZT0562ORBLK over the 562CF or 562 is because of the very grippy texture of the orange G10. I think it would work best for you in a wet environment. It is a little smaller in blade length but of the ones I have suggested I think it will be your best cutter.

Here is a pic of the ZT0909, Adamas, 303 and 562ORBLK together for some size comparison for you.

I am sure others who do more work in wet conditions will chime in with some good suggestions.

Good luck in your decision!

https://flic.kr/p/Poqtiq https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

Thanks for some great suggestions, whitty. I'll definitely check those out. The $250 isn't necessarily a strict limit. I'd be willing to go higher if I thought the knife justified it, but it quickly starts getting REALLY difficult to justify as the price goes up knowing how I'll end up treating it sometimes. :D

I am wondering if a Spyderco Endura or Pacific Salt would be robust enough. I think the FRN would be great wet or dry. The handle shape doesn't avoid slippage but that's what the FRN is for. The lockback should be unaffected by the wet. One handed opening (two to close in most cases). Relatively cheap compared to the other options.

To me, Spyderco always seemed a little too delicate for this kind of work but then again I haven't tried that specific model, so...If it were me I have to definitely give another +1 for the ZT0909 or the 303. EMT/Fireman friends use it daily and have had nothing but good things to say about it (303). They use it on all sorts of tough materials and in all weather conditions rain or shine.

Spyderco Manix2 XL might work for you. 3.875" long blade, and the blade stock is 0.130" instead of the 0.160/0.157 on the Adamas/0909; between that and the full flat grind it should cut a bit better.

Tip might not be quite as durable in a drop or prying situation when compared to the Adamas's thicker, saber-ground blade, but the Manix XL will definitely get into cuts more easily.

I think the ZT 0909 sounds perfect for your needs. Another possible option would be the Benchmade Contego in M390 from KnifeWorks. The traction on that handle is very good, the blade is right around 4", and the tip is nice and strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look long and hard at a Cold Steel Recon 1. Ticks all the boxes and comes in well under budget.

Or, you could just sent your Adamas to Josh at REK or Big Chris for a regrind.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

6a20e7a9d08acc8e4d08b51328859795.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I would look long and hard at a Cold Steel Recon 1. Ticks all the boxes and comes in well under budget.

+1... comes in three different blade shapes and locks don't get much stronger than the TriAd lock. CTS-XHP is a great steel. You could get multiple for $250.

I'd also consider a small fixed blade in 3V steel if that's a possibility. Big Chris might be able to build you a laser of a knife, tough as nails with 3V steel and a Kydex sheath. Ask for nice aggressive texturing on the G10. Sounds like you do a lot of hard cutting... if fixed blade is possible, I would definitely go this route. You won't find a better cutting blade than a Big Chris.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far, everyone. They're greatly appreciated. There's quite a few options that I'll need to investigate further. It's beginning to look like this is going to become more of a decision about what to buy first. But this is blade forums and I joined because I enjoy knives, plus I'm easily led astray. :D

NYOutdoors, I'd considered the fixed blade route and even spent some time carrying a couple from my collection around the size I'm looking at to see how I'd get along with it. Truth be told, my tastes run more to fixed blades than folders anyway. I just already had as much hanging on my belt as I can comfortably handle.

If I were in your boots, I would go with the 0909.
I'm usually in less than ideal conditions, and if I have a folder on me for dirty work, it's a 0200 or an 810.
The 0909 will be backed up by some of the best customer service as well.

I vote for the Recon 1 also.....as good or better than the ones mentioned and a better value.

I don't know about the OP, but you all convinced me to order a drop point Recon 1. It definitely isn't a "cool" knife, but hopefully it will last longer than my Contego did. I sure hope it is quicker to sharpen than that danged M4 also.

I don't know about the OP, but you all convinced me to order a drop point Recon 1. It definitely isn't a "cool" knife, but hopefully it will last longer than my Contego did. I sure hope it is quicker to sharpen than that danged M4 also.

I'm still debating. I'm starting to suspect that I'll be getting the 0909 soon (I've never owned a flipper before) and a clip point Recon 1 in a month or so. Some other suggestions from are getting serious budgetary consideration...

Back