ZT 0920 on Sharpmaker

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by 90grains, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 90grains

90grains Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2011
    For comparison purposes I just received a Spyderco PM2 and out of the box the knife is scary sharp. Comparing it to my ZT 0920 the ZT is dull.

The only sharpening tool I have is a Sharpmaker, which I have tried to sharpen the 0920 with. Yest it gets a little sharper, but is no where close to the PM2.

I think I need to get a set of diamond rods and profile the ZT and then move through the medium, fine and ultra-fine rods. It appears the edge angle of the ZT is greater than 22 degrees or very close and I am using the 20 degree slots on the Sharpmaker. There doesn't seem that there is much steel moved on the ZT with the medium rod.

I live overseas, SE Asia, and sending it back to ZT would end up costing 30% of the price of a new knife.

2. rpttrsn

rpttrsn

Nov 1, 2006
    Try taping some wet/dry sandpaper to the rods to re-profile the edge. Go finer then to the brown rods etc.

90grains likes this.
  3. 90grains

90grains Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 20, 2011
    That is a great idea. The 0920 has a recurve so I have to use the edge of the stones. I went ahead and ordered the steel diamond rods. I will post a follow up after the process.