ZT 609 Lockup?

Razor

Gold Member
I just got a new 609 and I think it is a great knife. The lock bar just barley engages the blade tang. The lock bar face is like one half engaged on the blade tang. Should I send it back to ZT and get them to check it, or just carry it? It seems to lock the blade tight, but this is the least I have ever saw a frame lock to lock up.

The amount of engagement does not matter if the lock is secure, as only the very corner of the lockbar insert touches the tang anyway. If you try to force the knife closed against the lock (safely, please) with your hands and the lock doesn't shift or slide along the tang, you're good to go. No need to spine whack or send to ZT.

Plus, I can unfortunately tell you from experience that they may not do anything about a bad lockup. I've sent them a knife with a lock that slipped and asked them to fix it, and they returned it to me in the same fashion.

Just carry it. I've had, and currently have, framelocks with that level of lockbar engagement and never had any issues. :)

I think it's pretty typical for this model. I just got one and handled another 3 or 4 in the store and they were all pretty early.

No lock rock or play in mine ... And yes... It passed the spine wack test lol.

I'll try and grab a pic

WZpXc3xh.jpg

If the detent is strong I would not worry. Otherwise you need to be careful not to put any pressure on the spine. Don't ask me why.

That lockup is fine. Mine has a nice early lockup as well, and I've been using it off and on for EDC and even at work, no problems.

Just enjoy using it. The 0609 really is a beautiful piece with great ergos and so much blade that I found myself wondering how they fit it in the handle haha.

Quite often. There is not enough bend in the lock bar.

However launching it open hard a few times and a few hard push cuts should settle things in.

My 0450cf is just barely hanging on by a thread. When I bought it new, I tried to "force" it closed (rather lightly) and "spine whacked" it against my palm (again very lightly) and it has never failed. I've had the knife for two years.

However, I've dropped the blasted thing more often than not...

I don’t feel comfortable with ZT’s lock-up, or lock face angle. Always too early in my book. I like to choose the Spyderco Military or Sebenza as a great example of lock-up.

Last edited:
I don’t feel comfortable with ZT’s lock-up, or lock face angle. Always too early in my book. I like to choose the Spyderco Military or Sebenza as a great example of lock-up.
Just curious and for the sake of discussion, but have you ever had a ZT lock fail on you?

Just curious and for the sake of discussion, but have you ever had a ZT lock fail on you?

I know you are not asking me but it did happen to me once (when I believed no ZT would fail and early lockup was a great thing to have). I have learned ever since that:

light detent + early lockup = lock slip prone

My ZTs vary. 562, 801ti, 0095, and 0770cf are a little early. 456cf, 0770GRYBW, 470, and 566cf all have the lock bar fully contacting the tang. None have failed ever. My 470 was very early when new, but some hard deployments and some use have settled it in nicely.

Go cut some cardboard for a little while, it will break in.

Back