ZT-9 Disassembly issues

Hey all,

So I loaned a friend a ZT-9 Bayonet, and it is the last time I will ever do so. It came back to me with a lot more rust than I would have tolerated. So I am now in the process of stripping it down to clean everything up.

However, I've run into some issues.

I have removed all of the screws. However, a cylindrical nut seems to be stuck where the bottom two screws were located. I cannot seem to remove any of the scales or the bayonet lug mount.

EDIT: updated in my 2nd post, only the guard is refusing to come off the bare blade.

Last edited:
Hmmm... pics might help us help you. I think I understand what you are saying.

Never mind. I finally did get it apart. The parts are quite tight. The hex nut holding the lug mount was the most troublesome.

And yes, those are rust stains on the G10. Funny, didn't expect that.

At present the guard just refuses the come off. I don't know why. There's some play in the guard, but it wont budge down more than 1-2 mm.

jCYO8IQ.jpg

Last edited:
Never mind. I finally did get it apart. The parts are quite tight. The hex nut holding the lug mount was the most troublesome.

At present the guard just refuses the come off. I don't know why. There's some play in the guard, but it wont budge down more than 1-2 mm.

jCYO8IQ.jpg

Glad you got it!, close the drain before you lose something and have to pull the trap apart! As for the guard, put it loosely in a vise and tap the butt with a piece of wood lightly. Maybe even use wd-40 or something for Lube.

Did you remember to disassemble your friends feelings after jacking up your bayonet? Call me stingy but this is a prime example of why I don't let friends borrow ANYTHING. Ill give it to them before I borrow it. It seems even the absolute best people still wont treat your stuff as good as you would. Sorry to see that happen to your knife. Glad to see you can straighten it out though.

Glad you got it!, close the drain before you lose something and have to pull the trap apart! As for the guard, put it loosely in a vise and tap the butt with a piece of wood lightly. Maybe even use wd-40 or something for Lube.

Yeah. I actually end up removing those parts to a separate box.

I should try that. No vise in my home though, but I can improvise. Did try froglubing the guard, but it seems as if there is a machining burr in the guard or the tang that is preventing it from sliding down.

We'll see when it finally comes off.

Did you remember to disassemble your friends feelings after jacking up your bayonet? Call me stingy but this is a prime example of why I don't let friends borrow ANYTHING. Ill give it to them before I borrow it. It seems even the absolute best people still wont treat your stuff as good as you would. Sorry to see that happen to your knife. Glad to see you can straighten it out though.

Oddly enough it took him a while to return it, and he still hasn't returned my surefire. Actually, it was his father that returned the ZT-9. That kid shipped off to basic without telling me, and when I PMed him on calguns, it turned out his dad was logged into his account. Needless to say, he wasn't happy about his son. I appreciate that his old man stepped up to solve his problems.

It's a burnt bridge for sure. Can't believe I even gave him a free knife (that I was initially planning to sell for 105$) after he lost his Sebenza. That's how he repays my kindness.

Yeah. I actually end up removing those parts to a separate box.

I should try that. No vise in my home though, but I can improvise. Did try froglubing the guard, but it seems as if there is a machining burr in the guard or the tang that is preventing it from sliding down.

We'll see when it finally comes off.

Oddly enough it took him a while to return it, and he still hasn't returned my surefire. Actually, it was his father that returned the ZT-9. That kid shipped off to basic without telling me, and when I PMed him on calguns, it turned out his dad was logged into his account. Needless to say, he wasn't happy about his son. I appreciate that his old man stepped up to solve his problems.

It's a burnt bridge for sure. Can't believe I even gave him a free knife (that I was initially planning to sell for 105$) after he lost his Sebenza. That's how he repays my kindness.

I just didn't want you to go through all the trouble and lose a screw in the sink!

Thats how I've done things before. I have used 2x4's set up also to the same effect. Usually a couple light taps after lubing and its off.

Glad you atleast got it back, kind of shady for him but atleast his old man stepped up and did the right thing.

Good luck with it.

Update. Finally got the guard off, summoned the courage to use a hammer. Wrapped rubberbands and towels around the guard and tapped it with a hammer till it came off. It is VERY tight. The only reason there was some play was because the top of the tang is slightly narrower than the rest.

Well, thanks everyone! Now putting it back on will be the tricky part. I think I will just send it back to ZT for reassembly, after I take all the rust off.

EDIT: Got it back together. Had to stick the bare blade in the freezer to get it to contract. Much less resistance in sliding the guard on.

Last edited:
Back