ZT vs Spiderco

Seems like an odd pair to put together, given the size disparity. Manix2 vs ZT 0350...or Manix2 XL vs ZT 0560 would make for interesting choices.
As for the actual decision making, I'm not one to abuse my folders...if the right tool for the job is something else, I'll use it. The Spydercos, in stock form, will be better slicers than the ZTs. I'd take the Manix2 over the 0350, and the 0560 over the 2XL; but that's just me.

From the looks of the 0560 it just doesn't seem to have that woodsy feel to it, looks more like a tactical blade. The manix 2 xl and 0350 look like they Are ready and willing for some bad country time. The g10 scales provide a bit more grip in moisture rich environments too.

Manix 2 xl has the superior lock in terms of strength, ease of use, and long term reliability.

Manix 2 xl also has better cutting geometry... Another win for Spyderco!

Camp Gear blade check list:
Bk9... check
Silky saw... check
Bk14... check
Backup mora... check
Beast folder that will hold up in the woods with the rest of my gear through the tough stuff... ???

You see, if it were me, and this is what I explained above, I take my PM2. I don't want a thick bladed folder. You've got that covered 3 times over already. Of the two you mention the ZT will be thicker and maybe more tough but the Spyderco will flex more into a traditional folder roll like what you seem to want in a fish, small game, and lite camp task knife. I would take neither with what you already have. It would be the PM2. I've got plenty of tough thick bladed folders including a folder with the name Tuff on it (thick 3v blade). I don't take them into the woods if I already have a small, medium, and/or large fixed blade, but rather a thinner folder to compliment. I mean, if you break the BK9, BK14, and the Mora, a thick ass folder likely won't help you out. I would imagine you have more pressing problems (like why those other blades failed).

Although check out the new manix 2 coming out in G10 with s110v... I think that one is a good look to!

Haha good stuff! Sweet Junglas! I have been looking into adding an esee 5 to my collection of large fixed blades. She will be mine, oh yes she will be mine [emoji12]

The 5 is fun but I would take most any of the other Esee knives over it. Great prybar. Not a great knife.

2fqwHXah.jpg

The 6 is better IMO.

XdzXnqhh.jpg

You see, if it were me, and this is what I explained above, I take my PM2. I don't want a thick bladed folder. You've got that covered 3 times over already. Of the two you mention the ZT will be thicker and maybe more tough but the Spyderco will flex more into a traditional folder roll like what you seem to want in a fish, small game, and lite camp task knife. I would take neither with what you already have. It would be the PM2. I've got plenty of tough thick bladed folders including a folder with the name Tuff on it (thick 3v blade). I don't take them into the woods if I already have a small, medium, and/or large fixed blade, but rather a thinner folder to compliment. I mean, if you break the BK9, BK14, and the Mora, a thick ass folder likely won't help you out. I would imagine you have more pressing problems (like why those other blades failed).

Not all my gear goes with me on each trip. In this case the folder would take the place of the bk14 . This folder would just be another piece of gear I can use on future trips in place of other gear. You know, to test out and have plenty of options to choose from depending on what's in store for that specific adventure.

The 5 is fun but I would take most any of the other Esee knives over it. Great prybar. Not a great knife.

2fqwHXah.jpg

The 6 is better IMO.

XdzXnqhh.jpg

Nice collection! Will take into consideration when the time comes.

Not all my gear goes with me on each trip. In this case the folder would take the place of the bk14 . This folder would just be another piece of gear I can use on future trips in place of other gear. You know, to test out and have plenty of options to choose from depending on what's in store for that specific adventure.

Okay, got it. Just thought I would share what I do. I think you have the pros and cons of your stated options. Let us know what you think.

I agree with most of the comments that state it is a bit of apples and oranges. As you know both are great knives. In a lot of ways it comes down to what appeals to you the most and if you like a recurved blade or not. Some do not. I thought I would throw one more in the mix. While it is not often thought of as a knife for the woods, I have used my ZT0630 in the woods a good bit. I have used it for every task you can think of and been blown away by what it is able to handle. Just thought I would throw it out there in case you are open to other suggestions. Regardless of your choice you will not be disappointed.

https://flic.kr/p/CSSZdV https://www.flickr.com/photos/57703464@N02/

From the looks of the 0560 it just doesn't seem to have that woodsy feel to it, looks more like a tactical blade. The manix 2 xl and 0350 look like they Are ready and willing for some bad country time. The g10 scales provide a bit more grip in moisture rich environments too.

Neither the 0350 or 2XL have a "woodsy" feel to them. I only tossed the 0560 in because it is more comparable, size-wise, to the 2XL. My comments were based on having owned all of the knives I mentioned; but, as noted, they were simply my opinions.

I bought a manix 2 xl blem in the "super brittle not hard use cutter only" s90v, intending to abuse it to get an idea how i like the steel and see what it can really do. Ive pried with it, banged the edge on metal, thrown it, passed it around to drunk friends to see what they could do with it and it still locks up solid and has received no significant edge damage, Nothing the sharp maker with CBN rods couldn't fix. Same thing with a zt0200 i used to have, i beat the snot out of it trying to kill it and it was fine, i broke the tip off stabbing it into a mustang fender, ground a new one back on and only lost a bout 1/4 inch of cutting edge. No big deal. I would go spyderco because the geometry is better for my uses, but either one is gonna be a great knife that can take what you throw at it. Try to find a place where you can hold them both and see which one your hand likes better. So many people get wrapped up with the "hard use" thing, if you think about what your doing you can probably achieve your goal safely with your knife. If its really "hard use" and you destroy the knife in the process, but save yourself or someone else awesome, you survived to buy a new one.

Last edited:
Spiderco manix 2 xl vs ZT 0350 for hard use. Anything from food prep to wood processing. Which is better?

My step-brother uses the hell out of the Manix XL.
He's a big guy working in metal shops/machine installation, and likes his knives tough. The one folder I heavily modified and gave to him, he cross-grain batonned it with a hammer. Not recommending it, just letting you know he sees knives as tools that get replaced when they wear out.

His Manix XL is still going strong, and he just bought a second one...and this is a guy who likes saving money.

You sound like someone who would spine-wack/baton a folder... don't do that...

But since you probably will anyways, I'd say get the Spyderco.

Both companies make fine knives.

Taken as a whole, I think the entirety of the Spyderco line beats out the entirety of the ZT line; the sheer variety and overall quality from Spyderco is overwhelming against any line of production knives.

From a standpoint of service and support, I'd have to give the edge to KAI; I've had mixed results with Spyderco support but only good experiences with KAI.

I don't think you can proclaim either line to be more durable than the other; both will perform well within the parameters of what a folding knife should be used for.

If it comes down to individual knives, I can't think of any Spydercos that I prefer over my 0562 or my 0392. I'd give up any of the 40 or so Spydies I own before I gave up either of those ZTs.

A better comparison might be the original Manix vs the ZT 0200. That would be a draw.

I don't own the current Manix 2XL. The original was as solid as any knife I've ever owned. I owned the 0350 for about one day before returning it due to a defect and generally being unimpressed with it overall. If the Manix 2XL is anything like the original Manix, I think that would be a wise choice. If you compared the ZT 0200...harder decision.

Like I said 2 posts above yours "I have my BK fixed blades for that just wanting a folder that I can use as a backup that can stand the abuse. Also having a folder that can stand up to these tasks(cleaning fish, skimming squirl, feather sticks, notching, carving and general camp chores)is just awesome!!!"

Well, if I was pressed to choose, I'd go with a Cold Steel Large Voyager plain-edge clip-point. I saw Nutnfancy baton for 30 minutes with one, and he had no real issue, other than the pivot needed a little tightening after the beating. The Triad Lock that CS does is a great locking mechanism.

Any experience cleaning fish or game with either?

I processed a deer in my garage with my spyderco endura a few years ago, it wasn't the best tool for the job & I had to clean meat out of the handle for days but it did great for a folder. Held its edge even after multiple encounters with bone. My brother laughed at me the whole time & then bought one the next day, now I laugh at him every time I see it clipped to his pocket.

I processed a deer in my garage with my spyderco endura a few years ago, it wasn't the best tool for the job & I had to clean meat out of the handle for days but it did great for a folder. Held its edge even after multiple encounters with bone. My brother laughed at me the whole time & then bought one the next day, now I laugh at him every time I see it clipped to his pocket.

I have a zt0350 m390 user... and it doesn't hold up well to anything beyond basic duty. The inside is a pain to clean. After regular use, the pivot doesn't stay dialed in and then is either too tight, or loose and has blade play. the blade itself is fine, but recurves are a pain to sharpen. it's a nice beefy blade with A/O if you're into that- but it's not up to heavy duty work.

my advice: keep looking or go fixed blade... izula maybe? If you want a beefy folder in that price range- i'd recommend a DPX Hest over the 0350 for actual use, but i'd still say fixed over folder if your serious.

Back