ZT0566 - no detent hole?

Don't know where to post it since we no longer have a ZT sub forum.

I got a ZT0566 (serial 25xx) recently with no detent hole. (Checked by scale removal). I have 2 other ones, one older (20xx) and one newer (70xx), both have detent holes. So decided to send the one with no detent hole back to warranty and see if they can switch the blade or drill the missing detention hole, as I'm going to remove the torsion bar to make it a manual.

I called today to their warranty repair dept, and was told that all of the blades in warranty dept have no detent hole and it's meant to be that way. Anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks in advance
Marcus

The knife was intended to be an assisted flipper. Some of the earlier models may have had a detent hole, and that may have been phased out during subsequent production runs. ZT (and every other manufacturer, I believe) does make adjustments from one run to the next, usually to improve processes, efficiency, or something else. It doesn't change the fundamental specs of the knife (same size, materials, etc.), but some extras, like the detent hole, may very well have been dropped. And it may re-appear in later runs... who knows?

Anyways, warranty may not be able to help, since the knife is functioning as it was designed (not a manufacturing defect). You might check to see if there is anyone with one of the earlier runs with a detent hole that would be willing to trade with you. Or, you can try drilling it yourself. Worst case, you mess up the blade, and you can take advantage of ZT's blade replacement program (flat rate $30, I believe) to switch it out with another.

I can drill it for you.

Im a manual flipper guy myself but I have to say they got the assist right on the 0566. I was going to de assist mine but after carrying it for a while I found that all I have to do is grip the knife right and the blade deploys almost like an auto. Im leaving the assist in this one its cool.

I have a serial number 6479 and mine has a detent hole.
Its an amazing manual I love it

The knife was intended to be an assisted flipper. Some of the earlier models may have had a detent hole, and that may have been phased out during subsequent production runs. ZT (and every other manufacturer, I believe) does make adjustments from one run to the next, usually to improve processes, efficiency, or something else. It doesn't change the fundamental specs of the knife (same size, materials, etc.), but some extras, like the detent hole, may very well have been dropped. And it may re-appear in later runs... who knows?

Anyways, warranty may not be able to help, since the knife is functioning as it was designed (not a manufacturing defect). You might check to see if there is anyone with one of the earlier runs with a detent hole that would be willing to trade with you. Or, you can try drilling it yourself. Worst case, you mess up the blade, and you can take advantage of ZT's blade replacement program (flat rate $30, I believe) to switch it out with another.

Perhaps to drive 0562 sales methinks. The 0562 is what a de assisted 0566 was trying to be / fills the same niche (smaller hinderer manual flipper)

interesting. I've got a 29xx that has a detent hole. I hope they don't totally do away with the detent hole, or else I need to find a 0566BW that has one quick to have as a backup to my original!

i have a related question about the 0566.. I own two of them, one blackwash serial 1669 and one stonewash serial 3385. The blackwash one opens like a bolt of lightning and has much more tension when closing.. the stonewash one has a much smaller sweet spot and a lot less tension. Im assuming they have different tension springs, but i thought the bigger spring was in later runs. I guess my question is, do 0566BW model serial numbers run independently from regular 0566's?

Update: I ended up sending my 25xx serial 0566 into ZT for a blade replacement after some mishap and it just came back, now it has a detent hole again.

Yay! All is right in the world.

Back