ZT301 vs 0500 MUDD?

Hey all,

not sure if this question has been posted before. I've seen a lot of ZT200 vs ZT301 threads, but I was wondering if its possible to compare the 301 with the out of production MUDD. Besides the difference in blade steels, could both be considered equal in terms of lockup and toughness?

I have read some accounts of the MUDD getting some bladeplay, while others reporting putting it through arduous paces and maintaining tight lockup.

On the other hand, I don't recall anyone ever experiencing bladeplay with the 301.

I know that a good framelock is tough to beat, and the 301 seems to spot a great one. Although I can't say I'm familiar with the MUDD hawk lock system.

Aesthetics wise, I think the 301 wins here. But like I said I don't seem to recall seeing any comparisons between these two so I'd like to hear feedback from members who own (or have owned) both.

Thanks in advance!:cool:

I owned both - but ultimately sold the 301 and kept the 0500 MUDD.

They are both great knives and very rugged / tough. I also own the 0200, which is a favorite of mine.

Things I didn't like about the 301 - spring assist opening - I don't care for any more moving parts in a knife than are absolutely necessary. Also - the 3D machining of the scales likes to eat pockets. It adds a great amount of grip / purchase to the knife, but will shred pockets. Blade shape is big / thick and is a recurve - not great for more delicate cutting tasks. I like big knives - but this thing was not easy to edc in pocket. You knew the knife was there at all times.

The MUDD I have was purchased as a blem or a factory second. I picked it up because I know the model was being discontinued. I really like the uber industrial look of the knife, the large circular thumb studs that become part of the jimping for your thumb when open, and the blade shape. I have also had very good luck with 154CM in the past, and it is a very good performer in this knife. The drop point shape is relatively easy to sharpen, and the blade comes to a fine point to allow for more delicate cutting tasks. The internal mechanisms of the MUDD are protected so that no grit, grease, dirt can penetrate during normal usage and foul the locking system or pivot.

My dislikes for the MUDD - not as easy to take apart due to the pivot, and the pocket clip design on mine was just not useable. I believe I got a gen 1 MUDD, where the low ride clip sat proud of the knife scale, allowing your pocket to get bunched up between the clip and the scale making the retrieval of the knife almost impossible. I removed the clip long ago, and either back pocket carry the MUDD or carry it in a large molle belt sheath. I think KAI/ZT revised the clip in later batches to have the clip sit flush with the scale.

As I said earlier - both knives are heavy duty - but if you plan on beating the snot out of it - I think you would be better served by the 301. S30V steel, frame lock, beefier blade, much more aggressive 3D machining on the scales, easier to disassemble in field.

I went thru a period during my collecting where I was convinced I needed a bomb proof folding knife that could handle any type of task I could throw at it. Unfortunately - the conclusion I came to is that there is one inherent weakness in all folding knives - they fold. It's fun to go out in my yard and beat on a heavy duty knife - if it fails I can just go in the house and get another. I'd hate to be out in the woods and have it happen. I've taken a step back and now really want to carry folders that cut well and disappear in the pocket. If I need to baton or do heavy duty tasks then I reach for my fixed blades or a khukri.

Good luck with whatever you decide - post some pics and some initial thoughts after you make your purchase.

Bottom line - I personally think the ZT line of knives offers great knives at great prices. Thomas from KAI is a moderator and member in good standing on BF, is a stand up guy and all my interactions with him have been great.

There was a 3 part video done by an on-line knife retailer when the ZT line was being introduced - he beat the snot out of the 0300 knife - as I remember it he cut thru copper pipe, bolts, bricks, etc. If I find the videos I'll edit and add this to the post. (Edit - search youtube for videos done by KnifeDealsPlus - he did a three part video showing the abuse the 300 series can take. I don't condone destruction testing of knives - but it may help you with your decision.)

IMG_1904.jpgIMG_1905.jpg

Last edited:
well I decided to get the 0500 MUDD because I like the locking system and the sealed pivot features.

I snagged one for $160 DLVD on this online store in the netherlands. I will be sure to post pictures with a review when it arrives!:cool:

Anybody hear have a Mudd that they would sell me? I talked with the shop above and they just sold their last one.

I think it would be awesome if they made a 0300/1 with the blade of the 0500 Mudd. That way you'd still have the ergos of the 0300, but the non-recurve edge allows you to use your flat stones to sharpen it.

Contact kershawguy I think he has blem Mudds for $165. Else you have ebay but they want $300+ there.
I asked kershawguy and he said that he didn't have any. I have a WTB in the exchange so hopefully somebody has one that they will sell. If not I'll look around for something similar. Its just that this knife is just what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Back