ZT551 Crack near thumb stud.

Hey guys, I just noticed a crack near my thumb stud on my ZT551. I've never abused this knife. It's my edc knife that's seen some mild use. My question is, has anyone had this happen? Can I send this in for warranty work? Thanks for any help.

Image.jpg

Aloha,
B.A.

Last edited:
Yes send it in. There was a 0200 that cracked above the thumb stud a few years ago.

The press fit of the thumb stud can cause that to happen. There was a thread over at CRK forum about about some Sebenzas with the same problem.

I doubt that you will get an Elmax blade. S35VN would be my guess.

Just curious why you would say that? I would think they would have spares for warranty issues like this.

That is just a guess. They don't usually stock any extra parts for limited runs, at least in the past that has been the case.

If that were the case I'd expect a brand new 0551, but I'm sure Kershaw will take care of him.

First off, these things happen from time to time - I doubt it had anything to do with you. This kind of damage can occur from prying and twisting, but I have also seen it just happen because of a small inclusion / imperfection in the steel itself.

Go ahead and send it in - we might have some ELMAX blades around, but I honestly don't know. We do have lots of brand new S35VN 0550 blades right now.

Include a note with the knife (and include your return address!!) and be specific about what you want. CS will let you know what they can do, and you should get taken care of. Heck, if you were offered a S35VN blde but really wanted ELMAX, I might have one lying around.

Sorry for the trouble.

- Jim

Hey Guys,
Thanks for all the helpful replies. Jim, thanks for the reply as well. I was devastated when I saw the crack. I baby my 551! I'll be sending it in this week.

Mahalo again and Mele Kalikimaka!

B.A.

While this is a perfectly legitimate warranty issue, if you like the blade steel enough and they don't have any more I would consider just keeping it as is. I don't see the crack affecting performance, the issue here is mostly cosmetic.

Back