ZT560CBCF- An absolutely biased pseudo review (2 weeks in)

2yl4jl5.jpg

This has been my EDC setup everyday for the last two weeks.

I had every intention of writing a full and practical review of the 560 combo blade carbon fiber variety, but after several attempts I didn't really like how any of them came out. My attempts to be moderately unbiased came across as just vaguely trying to hide how awesome I thought certain aspects were and then finding a review criteria I could create to talk about them. Instead, I thought I'd just post my current EDC setup picture and talk about the sheer greatness of this knife.

First and in full disclosure, mine wasn't and isn't perfect. I can nitpick and point out minor flaws. But this is my favorite knife I've ever owned (yes, above my Sebenza 21) and probably my second favorite knife I've ever handled (behind a custom Hinderer that is quite a bit out of my pay grade in the near future). I cannot say enough good about this knife overall. It flips beautifully and elegantly. The carbon fiber is gorgeously asymmetrically patterned and has a fantastic feel in the hand. Likewise the texturing on the lock side is simple, attractive, and has a great feel.

The real meat of why I love this knife though is not in the looks or feel, but in just how great it works. In the last two weeks, I've carried and used it every day. It's cut quite a few bags and boxes, plenty of minor things that add up to wear, done some whittling, cut several aluminum cans in half, cut frozen mullet up for bait, cut rope, and fashioned marshmallow roasting sticks for my niece and nephew a few times- oh and I dropped it tip first onto the concrete the first day I had it on accident. After all of that, all I've had to do it lightly sharpen a nick out of the tip with my 600 grit stone and strop the whole thing a couple of times and it'll push cut phonebook paper with ease. It isn't just that this knife can cut and handle all of that (I would be a very dissatisfied customer if it could not), but that the s110v can be kept so absolutely razor sharp easily, with little maintenance, and that the toothy quality the edge holds so incredibly well makes it a true joy to cut with.

The second aspect that really both shocked me and excited me was the ease of maintenance on the pivot and bearings. I have to say, having never owned a KVT or IKBS knife, I was prepared to have to take this thing apart once a week with my typical uses and continually clean, oil, and sort of pamper. This was actually my sort of last straw on my Sebenza- as easy as it was to take apart, I didn't like having to strip it down and clean and oil it once a week after heavier use and when I didn't it just didn't feel right. It has taken some getting used to this different style of maintenance and what it means, but literally anytime something has felt gritty or sticky just a little rem oil and everything has returned to perfect. I have never had a second though about even cutting through frozen fish because I knew a little fresh water and soap followed by a little spray of rem oil and I'd be back in business.

I have to say, as gorgeous as this think is (and we all know they are gorgeous), it really has exceeded all of my expectations so far in the use and working department. The ease of maintenance and cleaning was a pleasant surprise and the blade steel is absolutely fantastic. This is my first experience with s110v, but somehow after this I'm not sure I can go back!

I'm sitting here at work, flipping my 0560CBCF and enjoying this review. Thank you for taking the time to write this.

Great review. Glad you are happy with your 0560cbcf. One day I will work up the nerve to use mine as an edc. It bothers me because I am not the buy and put away type of person and I figured I give it a try because this knife was one of my must haves and wanted to delve into the collection world of knives. I don't think I can do it, because knowing that it is just sitting in a box drives me freakin nutso! The next time I get any knife, LE or not, it will be for intended use or I won't get it.

Great review! Glad to see someone take the time to put this knife through It's paces a little bit and let people know that It'll keep going.

NJhart,

Nice review, and great knife. What watch is that, a Kobold? I like it.

Thanks for the kind words all around! The 560 is about to go with me fence building in a creek bed, so if it gets any good use I'll take some action pictures. The watch is a Citizen E650. It's been very reliable and shockingly durable. I always switch to NATO bands because I'm left handed and wear my watch on my left wrist still. Metal bracelets always clunk around and get in the way for me.

Back