Zwilling J.A. Henckels Pro vs Professional "s"

Hi,
I am newbie here and I am not sure if a similar thread already exists. Recently I purchased a set of Professional "s" at Costco which I had to bring back as they were not better than my 9 year Wusthof (Perhaps that batch was not sharp?)
Now I am looking into buying the 8" from the Pro line.
Basically I need to know what the real differences are. For what I have researched, it seems that the only difference is the handle. What about the blade?
At Costco I can get the Professional "s" 8", 6" and pairing for CAN$199, at Amazon.ca $149 just for the 8"Pro.
Can anyone explain the real differences between these two?
Thanks

Stay with Wusthof Classic and you’ll always be happy you bought them! The best in Euro style production knives there is currently. IMO.. not a current model Henkel fan at all..

The difference between the Zwilling Pro and Pro "S" is in the bolster style. Pro S uses a full bolster (which I avoid because it makes sharpening more difficult, plus you can't use the heel corner as a cutting tool), while the Pro uses a short slanted bolster which does not extend to the blade edge (which I prefer).

They use the same steel, produced in the same manner, hardened to the same hardness, sharpened to the same edge angle, same handle material. It's just the bolster.

I prefer the Pro (slanted half-bolster). I do have one from this product line, and it is a decent knife.

Stay with Wusthof Classic and you’ll always be happy you bought them! The best in Euro style production knives there is currently. IMO.. not a current model Henkel fan at all..
I think Wusthof Classic is way better, I got mine back in 2011 and I haven't sharpened professionally and perhaps that's the problem. Somehow I want to believe Zwilling JA Henckels are similar. Problem is in North America to sharpen them professionally cost about a third of a brand new knife.

The difference between the Zwilling Pro and Pro "S" is in the bolster style. Pro S uses a full bolster (which I avoid because it makes sharpening more difficult, plus you can't use the heel corner as a cutting tool), while the Pro uses a short slanted bolster which does not extend to the blade edge (which I prefer).

They use the same steel, produced in the same manner, hardened to the same hardness, sharpened to the same edge angle, same handle material. It's just the bolster.

I prefer the Pro (slanted half-bolster). I do have one from this product line, and it is a decent knife.
Thank you, I am very disappointed at Professional "s" or at least the batch that Costco is selling is not great at all :(

I think Wusthof Classic is way better, I got mine back in 2011 and I haven't sharpened professionally and perhaps that's the problem. Somehow I want to believe Zwilling JA Henckels are similar. Problem is in North America to sharpen them professionally cost about a third of a brand new knife.
Henkel are NOT Similar! About 30-35 years ago Henckel were the bench mark of quality! The old ones with that black plywood handle were a great Steel, I’m not impressed with their current models or Steels.....I charge $9.00 plus shipping for a 8” German/Americana Chef Knife ...

Getting some practice sharpening yourself will be fun and easier than you think. After all you made the first step by joining here. There are several ways to sharpen. You start with a dollar or thrift store knife. There is a maintenance and sharpening section here on BF with good info. You'll stay sharp, save money and even enjoy it.

Given a Pro S Chef runs about $100 new, I can't see any sharpener gigging $30 a blade, a set I can see but one blade, that's nuts.

Jim

Getting some practice sharpening yourself will be fun and easier than you think. After all you made the first step by joining here. There are several ways to sharpen. You start with a dollar or thrift store knife. There is a maintenance and sharpening section here on BF with good info. You'll stay sharp, save money and even enjoy it.
Will look for that tread, thank you.

After testing 2 different Professional "s" I was very disappointed and I had to return them. Ended up buying the Pro, I am very happy with it.
Now I just have to bring my old Wusthof Classics back to life.

Can't say I've evet had an issue with any Henckel. I've had several over the years including some I've just about worn out..
The key is going to be to keep them sharp.. I wouldn't trust any knife to someone else to sharpen, I've seen too many knives ruined over the years.
Are Henckel the best knives out there? No of course not, but they are a quality knife. If someone is having problems getting, or keeping them sharp, I believe that lies with the user.
(a dull knife isn't broken or defective, just needs sharpened)
I spent over 20 years working as a chef and its rare to see someone that can get or keep a knife sharp. It's apparently a lost art, even among people who use knives for a living.
My advice would be to get a decent diamond steel, learn how to use it( slowly, gently, and with attention to angle) and use it religiously (5+ times daily for pros, or every use for home chefs)

And the "pro" vs "s" are same steel, so its just personal preference as to which handle you like.

In Canada they do, unless you find a cheap random guy on Kijiji

Learn to sharpen. Never found a factory knife I didn't want to make sharper. If they spent a lot of time making them perfectly sharp, you wouldn't want to spend the money to buy them.

If I have to sharpen a knife 5 times daily for pro use or once every time I use it for home use, That knife goes in the dump as fast as I can get it there. I make chefs knives out of S35VN, hardened to Rc 60 and sharpen them twice a year, whether they need it or not. I do give them 2 strokes on each side when they start to drag, about every 2 weeks, with a fine ceramic rod.

I make my own knives, including kitchen. Just walked out of a kitchen store (went in there for a block) with a new Zwilling Pro 7" chef - the deeper belly model for $50USD on sale. Couldn't resist. This is a very well-made blade for the money, and the new slant-ground bolster (NO stupid guard-bolster) is very well designed. I now own 7 Zwilling/Henckel's, and like them all very much. Sure, the new edges have a burr, but 2 minutes on a fine soft-core nail file and you're set.

Very old thread... but adding a comment just in case someone comes by...

The Zwilling Pro S and Zwilling Pro have different blade shapes. The Pro has a lot of belly in the front of the blade. It has a high tip. This may be well suited for someone who rock chops, especially if they are tall. If the user is not tall, they will probably not use a lot of the front belly area of the blade unless they raise their arm to an awkward angle. The Pro S, on the other hand, has a more traditional blade shape that is not as curved. The tip does not curve all the way up to the top of the spine. It is more of a "French" shape. Zwilling does, however, make a Pro model with what they call a traditional shape. It has a blade shape similar to the Pro S (with a reduced bolster of course).

Back