ZZT400 questions.

Hello, im pretty new here (so go easy on me) :) . Im really liking the community here. Ive done some searching but some of my questions remain unanswered.
I've been having a little problem deciding between the ZT "scavenger", spec bump, and the ZDP cyclone. I have read many reviews on the cyclones and bumps, but I cant really find anything on the ZT400 which im leaning towards. The real issue that I'm faced with is safty. I cant seem to find any information/pictures explaining/showing a blade lock (lock to keep the blade closed in the pocket). Also, how is the AO on the scavenger? Is it smooth, fast and easy to open? Does it have a blade lockup?
I'm sorry if the answers are right under my nose, but I have done lots of searching, with no avail. Thanks for reading!

I'm not aware of a Kershaw with a lock in the closed position... and there isn't another company so I'm not sure. ZDP cyclone gets my vote

If you are talking about a lock in the closed position none of the knives you are considering have one. There are very few kershaws with tip locks like the leek. Regardless, you shouldn't have any problems with any of them opening in your pocket. The AO on all of the mentioned knives is smooth, fast, et., that is kind of the idea. They are Kershaw's after all.

Of all the knives mentioned I like the Spec Bump. I have tried them all and I think the Stud Lock and machined G10 scales on the Bump puts it over the top.

I just dug the bump out and you, sir, are correct. I have many Kershaws and have carried them for years with safeties off (I obviously don't even know some of them have safeties) and have never had one go off in my pocket. The knives with no flipper, like the 0400, would be the least likely to misfire in your pocket w/o a safety on because there is nothing for it to bump to open, and, you have to hit the thumbstud at an angle to get it started opening.

Given your past, ahem, experience, you may want to go with the Cyclone. You can turn the speed safe on and off with that one.

The only reason why im so freaked about a knife opening in my pocket is because ive already lost a member of the family jewels due to a very unfortunate accident. I hope you guys understand where im comming from. I just dont want anymore... accidents.

If you are talking about a lock in the closed position none of the knives you are considering have one. There are very few kershaws with tip locks like the leek. Regardless, you shouldn't have any problems with any of them opening in your pocket. The AO on all of the mentioned knives is smooth, fast, et., that is kind of the idea. They are Kershaw's after all.

Of all the knives mentioned I like the Spec Bump. I have tried them all and I think the Stud Lock and machined G10 scales on the Bump puts it over the top.

I wasn't considering the safety that's available on those mentioned models, if that's what you're looking for. I was thinking you wanted smething that automatically locks when closed and open.

The only reason why im so freaked about a knife opening in my pocket is because ive already lost a member of the family jewels due to a very unfortunate accident. I hope you guys understand where im comming from. I just dont want anymore... accidents.

My deepest condolances and all my sympathy in your time of loss. Maybe you should consider a Kershaw flipper model (JYD I&II, Groove, Lahar et.). I get the feeling that AO may not be for you. The JYD II is nice and they are coming out with one with an SG2 blade and titanium handles. Good luck on your impending purchase and good luck with your remaining....well you get the idea.

My deepest condolances and all my sympathy in your time of loss. Maybe you should consider a Kershaw flipper model (JYD I&II, Groove, Lahar et.). I get the feeling that AO may not be for you. The JYD II is nice and they are coming out with one with an SG2 blade and titanium handles. Good luck on your impending purchase and good luck with your remaining....well you get the idea.

Thank you for all your help. I was thinking the cyclone might be a wise choice because of the on/off toggle (and ZDP!!!). Cheers.

spencetron, first off welcome to the fourms.

Kershaw assisted opener's with a safety that will keep the blade locked in the closed position include:

All Chive's
All Scallion's
All Leek's
Centofonte/Onion
Mini Mojito
Spec and Speed Bump
Boa and Baby Boa
Offset

Don't be a stranger.

Back