A new Companion?

Has anyone seen this yet?

This is in Spanish so I didn't catch anything but looks like a new tool called a package opener mentioned in this

So hopefully we'll receive word in 2023 about this new product. Slap some plus scales on with a mini flathead loaded in the corkscrew and it's my perfect companion to my Spirit x.

I quickly scanned through the video timeline to find two relevant parts.

The graphic at 33 minutes says:

"Las funciones del box opener en detalle

Punta redonda para abrir sobres de plastico de albaranes y laminas de embalaje

Ganchos para cortar flejes de plastico y cintas de embalaje

Destornilador plano tambien utilizable para quitar clips metalicos

Rectificado dentado para cortar carton y flejes de plastico"

In english, it means:

Functions of the box opener in detail

Round tip for opening plastic envelopes for delivery notes and packaging sheets

Hook for cutting plastic strapping and packing tape

Flat screwdriver is also usable for removing staples

Serrations for cutting cardboard and plastic straps

I'm not sure whether this is real or not because I don't see the original source for the graphic. It looks like a modified version of the existing can opener tool.

At 53 minutes and 45 seconds is another graphic of what looks like a 91mm Victorinox Climber model with the new tool in place of the can opener. The secondary knife blade has also been replaced by what appears to be a fingernail file. The guy in the video claims this new model is called the Companion.

The Companion is already the name of an old 58mm model, but it should be noted that Victorinox has already recycled several model names in the past.

Once again I don't see the original source.

I thought you going to show off the new Mora "Companion" you received from Santer C. 😁

Round tip for opening plastic envelopes for delivery notes and packaging sheets

Hook for cutting plastic strapping and packing tape

Flat screwdriver is also usable for removing staples

Serrations for cutting cardboard and plastic straps
Not sure how practical the modified can opener would be.
The first, second, and fourth use is already covered by the knife blade.
The fourth: "Flat screwdriver is also usable for removing staples" isn't a "new" function. The existing/original/unmodified small flat screwdriver/can opener does that ... or the blade on the SD Classic/Signature/Mini Champ, one leg at a time.
Then again, most folks I knew who had to remove staples from correspondence have a staple remover in or on their desk.
If referring to the large heavy brass or copper staples used for some packaging, side cutters/dikes or sturdy pliers, or a 1/4 inch flat screwdriver are a better tool since you don't have access to the staple legs.

Well...

smh.png

There she is. Source is directly from Victorinox's online store. It's selling for 85 usd. It's currently only available with limited edition 2023 walnut scales.

Well...

smh.png

There she is. Source is directly from Victorinox's online store. It's selling for 85 usd. It's currently only available with limited edition 2023 walnut scales.
I’m in. Would like tweezers and toothpick.

Here is a french language Youtube short showing the wood scales and the new tool, linked for regular full page view so you can easily turn on the auto-translated english subtitles. There is also a more detailed unboxing on his channel where he uses the serrated teeth to slice cardboard.

I'm not sure what's going on at Victorinox, but they seem to be groping around for something that is not needed. Did too many of the old guard retire at the same time?

Only my opinion and thats worth maybe a cup of coffee, but the "new" tool seems kind of half baked. It messes up a good can opener, and the mini serrated edge doesn't do anything to open a package any better than the knife blade, small or large. YMMV.

I can only hope the ghost of Carl Elsner will haunt someone like Jacob Marley's ghost and get them back on a logical track.

I'm not sure what's going on at Victorinox, but they seem to be groping around for something that is not needed. Did too many of the old guard retire at the same time?

Only my opinion and thats worth maybe a cup of coffee, but the "new" tool seems kind of half baked. It messes up a good can opener, and the mini serrated edge doesn't do anything to open a package any better than the knife blade, small or large. YMMV.

I can only hope the ghost of Carl Elsner will haunt someone like Jacob Marley's ghost and get them back on a logical track.

I like it- I more often (in my day to day work activities) use a can opener to open boxes and save my small and large blades for tasks which are more appropriate for knives.
that tool is like the general abuse tool. Use it on things that don't require the screaming sharp edge I maintain on the other blades.
I bet it would make a good seatbelt cutter, too.

And, why the nail file instead of the pen blade?
seems like they're using that new tool as the secondary general cutting tool, so a nail file might make sense.
I know personally that I usually end up with burrs on my finger nails after I cut them with the 91 mm scissors.
it's nice to file those off.

I'm not a Victorinox fan boy- I won't carry their water for them- but I do like the new tool. It shows some desire to make a tool for the modern Amazon box-opening public.
Lets face it- I use the Vic can opener a couple times a year to open cans in the woods. I open boxes every week.

I like that it has a bit of a safety end- it makes it easier to open parcels without concern for damaging the contents.

I think I like the new tool for day to day office work. A pretty "urban" tool with lots of paper/cardboard related tasks in mind.

Though not a big fan of the wooden scales version, but I I'll give it a try when it becomes more readily available in different models.

rs=w:500,h:500

This is one I’ve modded for package opening and been using since late November. It’s in my Alox Cadet X mod. Made this one shortly after the serrated chisel grind one which also works great but took a lot of time to shape. Main thing this tool does is keep tape residue off the main blade. Which ironically is the biggest downside of this mod…it opens cans still, but I’d likely want to clean it first.

Anyway…I’m just a little disappointed that the new tool is only available in the LE for now. I’d use it, but I think I’ll wait until it shows up in some regular production model first. With 12,000 units produced, I don’t have to decide in a hurry. I put two in the cart when it was released…but didn’t make the purchase.

seems like they're using that new tool as the secondary general cutting tool, so a nail file might make sense.
I know personally that I usually end up with burrs on my finger nails after I cut them with the 91 mm scissors.
it's nice to file those off.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

I don't like the new tool at all, but I do think that there are good points to the new model. It reminds me of a 3 layer Compact, a.k.a. the Climber but with the finger nail file texture on the back of the parcel hook. Having the nail file as the secondary tool on the knife layer does a few things: you get a bigger and more usable file compared to the one on the hook, and you gain some smaller sized Phillips driving capability by using the pointed nail cleaner tip of the file, which can also do some limited duty as an inline awl.

It looks like you will still have regular inline Phillips driving capability with the tip of the new tool, just like the can opener has. It's not going to be as strong as a dedicated 3D Phillips driver, but it should still beat the hell out of the wimpy Phillips driving provided by the corner tip of the combo tool on the Compact.

This could be a decent option for people who need a good nail file and would prefer a 3 layer version of the Compact so that they can have an awl and a stronger pry tool, and who also don't care about losing the ability to open cans. The combo tool is thin and not so great for prying, which is one reason why I think a lot of people prefer the Climber over the Compact. The second major reason would be the price. The Climber is cheaper than a Compact and it comes in many different colors. Right now this new model is even more expensive than a Compact and it only comes with wooden scales which don't have a toothpick slot, a straight pin slot, or a tweezer slot. Hopefully VIctorinox will offer a cheaper version with regular scales soon.

Last edited:
I watched the French guys video on using the new tool on cardboard. Seems like it works a treat. I really could go either way on the new tool but I really like the inclusion of the nail file and the cut one that they used on the executive and new cadet. I get a lot of use out of that file for my fingernails as well as plastic stuff I do for work. The combo of larger nail file and scissors isn't something they offer on anyother tool. And combine with my Swisstool spirit it gives me more function with less cross over.

WoW. Some yinz sure don’t like change. 😮
Imagine if the auto industry felt the same way. 🥴 We would still be driving Model Ts?? 😂
John 😁
Hrmph! The people with their endless desire to buy new cars! Seat belts, air bags, air conditioning, abs.. humbug! My unicycle that folds to my coin pocket is all the transportation I need and my point of view is the only right one!

My unicycle that folds to my coin pocket is all the transportation I need and my point of view is the only right one!
Real talk: if a unicycle could really fold up that small, then tomorrow I would be learning how to ride one.

In many ways engines have gotten worse as they've become more specialized, more complex, harder to learn about, and a lot more expensive to fix, not to mention all of the wasteful electronic components in the car. Most of them aren't really needed and some of them can even pose a risk to your personal safety and/or your privacy. Innovation isn't all sunshine and roses all the time. Sometimes it's a turd sandwich with racing stripes painted on it, because everyone knows that the stripes make you go faster.

Back