A new Companion?

I am really liking the tool set on this Companion, and usually I am a big fan of wooden scales. Not of these unfortunately. They had beautiful carved and intricate designs on other limited editions before, but this one I find outright ugly.
So i will wait for the cellidor version that will sure show up eventually. No way Vic is creating a new tool and mounts it only in 12000 SAKs.

I am actually starting to get a bit angry about this... Victorinox seems to be deliberately sabotaging the launch of this new tool. It appears that outside of the enthusiast crowd, nobody even knows or cares about this thing. Victorinox completely botched the launch.

I know why they introduced it in a limited edition model with wooden scales and why they jacked up the price so much. They're trying to milk the hardcore fans and early adopters for extra money. It's a shady business tactic, but I can at least understand it. Where I think they went wrong is that they clearly overestimated the demand for it at the high price point they set it at. They overproduced it, and they still have a bunch of unsold inventory as a result. It's right there next to the unsold Replica 1897's and the garbage looking Off-White models. Anybody who wanted one already bought it. All of the buzz has died down already. Nobody else outside of die-hard fans even know that these things exist, so they'll just trickle out slowly from now on as people happen to randomly find them while browsing for other things.

This is infuriating to witness. Victorinox needs to release the celidor model at a lower price point A.S.A.P., and they need to get the word out about it, otherwise this is going to become a self-fulfilling prophecy where the new tool crashes and burns before it can even get off the ground. Victorinox needs to help seed and nourish the demand for this thing. They need to make it accessible (affordable), let people know it exists, and help them easily understand why they should buy it. They're doing none of that. It's like they want it to fail.

It's all so stupid. Victorinox hasn't created a new tool in a long time. They should be making a big deal about this and they're not. I think they might feel the same way about it that I do: it's not a particularly amazing or impressive tool, and in fact it's kind of ridiculous. Perhaps they're even embarrassed or ashamed of it?

I am actually starting to get a bit angry about this... Victorinox seems to be deliberately sabotaging the launch of this new tool. It appears that outside of the enthusiast crowd, nobody even knows or cares about this thing. Victorinox completely botched the launch.

Well I don’t think “Victorinox” is on the top of everyone’s tongue. The brand persists as a staple multi tool, proven through the years to be dependable, inexpensive and high quality.

They probably know that they will sell regardless of the hype. Word of mouth is strong, and people will recognize it’s usefulness regardless of advertising.

The aficionados are where it’s at, anyway. How else could they sell so many 500 dollar limited edition 18-whatever recreations?

Well I don’t think “Victorinox” is on the top of everyone’s tongue. The brand persists as a staple multi tool, proven through the years to be dependable, inexpensive and high quality.

They probably know that they will sell regardless of the hype. Word of mouth is strong, and people will recognize it’s usefulness regardless of advertising.

The aficionados are where it’s at, anyway. How else could they sell so many 500 dollar limited edition 18-whatever recreations?

That's the thing... they're NOT managing to sell the 500 dollar limited edition replicas anymore. They still have them sitting there unsold. The initial hype for them is long gone, and everyone who could afford one and wanted it already got theirs. The "aficionados" are a tiny niche of a niche. And while the average person may not know the name "Victorinox", everyone knows what a swiss army knife is and everyone can recognize the iconic shield set into red scales, so your point is entirely moot.

Victorinox cannot and will not ever succeed simply by trying to milk the tiny fanatical sliver of the market who cares about collecting overpriced things. This is pathetic any way you look at it. The clear strategy is mass consumer appeal. You make a product affordable and you push that product out to the masses. It's how any manufacturer of general consumer goods has success and it's how Victorinox got where they are today. That. and a reputation built on quality and support.

That's the thing... they're NOT managing to sell the 500 dollar limited edition replicas anymore. They still have them sitting there unsold. The initial hype for them is long gone, and everyone who could afford one and wanted it already got theirs. The "aficionados" are a tiny niche of a niche. And while the average person may not know the name "Victorinox", everyone knows what a swiss army knife is and everyone can recognize the iconic shield set into red scales, so your point is entirely moot.

Victorinox cannot and will not ever succeed simply by trying to milk the tiny fanatical sliver of the market who cares about collecting overpriced things. This is pathetic any way you look at it. The clear strategy is mass consumer appeal. You make a product affordable and you push that product out to the masses. It's how any manufacturer of general consumer goods has success and it's how Victorinox got where they are today. That. and a reputation built on quality and support.
Well when Victorinox goes belly up, you can say, “I told you so”.

Until then, I’m sure they’re doing just fine.

I’m kinda tempted by this one still. 3 layers is pretty much the perfect size for me, and this one actually packs in more features that I’ll actually use. The interesting thing is that it’s actually a little cheaper than some of their previous special editions, which is especially surprising when you consider it has a completely new implement.

The interesting thing is that it’s actually a little cheaper than some of their previous special editions, which is especially surprising when you consider it has a completely new implement.
Good points. Could have been a higher price and lower production number too. Also has a tool that’s new to the frame size with the nail file where it is.

Apparently, after mulling it over for another two whole months…I caved and ordered one last night. I kinda hate buying just one to use without keeping one for the collection, but I’m sure I’ll get over that soon enough. 9+ months with my Cadet X mod with pretty much the same toolset convinced me and the package cutter I made from the can opener finally needs sharpening.

could you point me in the direction to where all the 1897 replicas are lying unsold, I like to ad one? :)

Update in regards to sanding the pattern off the scales:

I was restless last night and started tinkering with them on a whim. Scales remove fairly easily, after heating with a hair dryer. Then I just started sanding, beginning with the back one first. I found it useful to use another SAK that doesn't have the corkscrew with the scales removed as a makeshift sanding block to keep the pressure even. Luckily I had one laying around in the project box. The front was a little more tricky as I wanted to preserve the logo. It's engraved deeper though so there's not too much worry. I made the last minute artistic decision to partially leave the mountains at the top of the front scale just under the logo. Looks a bit like mountains in the mist, which is fitting for me. Finally, I threw on a coat of (food safe) Osmo. From the pic I see some touch-ups I need to make, then apply another coat of Osmo, but I'm quite pleased with how it looks in person.

Conversely, you could just cop a wood Spartan for 35 bones from DLT and swap the scales off of that, but that's no fun when you're high on a Sunday night and want to play with your knife 🤪

QTUcgf7.jpg

Last edited:
For some reason it is marketed to women. Seems odd to me. None of the women i know would ever carry this. My wife has a classic on her keys, but only because it was a gift from me. She grudgingly admitted the other day that it was very handy, but she would never carry this.

Gave one (Paris) to my sister last year and she loves it. Uses it more than the matching Swisscard.
The marketing has given me pause from getting one for a friend. Didn’t help the NY ones were out of stock briefly when I was rethinking it.
I have and like the Swiss Spirit version, but would probably prefer the NY version. Not really a fan of the heavily laser engraved wood surface.
I also want the package opener tool to show up on some plain, regularly priced model.

I bought the Sydney Companion for my wife to give me for Christmas and have been carrying it every day since then. It even went along for a two week stay back home on O'ahu. It flew in my checked luggage of course.

The tool set is perfect for me. The bottle opener, package opener, and nail file have been used the most at this point, but I've also used the blade, hook, scissors, and toothpick.

I carried it on a titanium mini pocket clip with a pull fob in my right front pocket (but have recently switched it to my left front pocket). It rode comfortably in lightweight shorts and sweats. (Hawai'i was chilly during my stay!)

The color of the scales works for me, and I don't really care about Vic marketing it to women. It works for me and I like it!

Back