A new Companion?

Wow, did Victorinox read my post about the can opener being the tool that should be updated?!? I have never used the can opener for its intended purpose, so I like this decision. I also see the file as a good replacement for the pen-blade since this new tool is a cutting tool. I am not sure about the tool itself though, needs to be seen and tested.

Real talk: if a unicycle could really fold up that small, then tomorrow I would be learning how to ride one
And then I’d have to admit the hipsters were ahead of the curve.
In many ways engines have gotten worse
False- the Otto cycle remains the Otto cycle- piston goes up, piston goes down. It’s the control system that’s complex, and yet still less complicated than tearing down a Rochester Q Jet to solve that riddle.
not to mention all of the wasteful electronic components in the car.
Fact.
Innovation isn't all sunshine and roses all the time. Sometimes it's a turd sandwich with racing stripes painted on it, because everyone knows that the stripes make you go faster.
So much fact.

Thankfully, in the case of victorinox, all they did was replace a can opener with a utility knife. Let the rabbling resume!

Then I shall weigh in with my ‘hummingbird ass’, as I am surely a noob in this forum …
While I understand that everyone’s needs are different, and that the can opener may be of great value to some, it is the one tool that I use the least, and so I too am glad to see that was the one they chose to update.
Now put that box cutter/screwdriver/marzelvane adjustment tool into an Alox pattern and I’ll be all over it!
⚙️

The majority of the cans that I open are without pull tabs. but I use a can opener from my kitchen drawer for them. Should that can opener stop working, I have 2 spares. I also have a few p38 can openers around, and one on my key chain.

The can opener on a SAK is something that I use all the time, but not for actually opening cans. The curved blade on the front of the can opener is great for prying in ways that the cap lifter/flat screwdriver isn't. It gets you into things that the flat driver can't wedge underneath because it's too thick. This is missing on the new box cutter tool.

Just got mine. Tool set is similar to my most carried SAK, the old Wenger Traveler, where the can opener can function as a package opener. Having Vic scissors is a major plus though. I haven't had any clamshell packages to test it on yet, but it makes short work of cardboard and the water bottle I cut into a spiral.

I'm all for the fingernail file replacing the small blade. I'm personally much more likely to have the need to clean my fingernails than needing another knife blade, when I'm already carrying multiple knives most of the time anyway. In fact, my whole reason for clamoring for a Cadet X all these years is not so much about 84mm scissors per se, but really more about having Vic scissors and nail file all in one package, so if they start offering a 91mm file in place of the small blade that solves the problem for me. (Don't get me wrong, still wish there was a Cadet X).

Not really feeling the Christmas sweater scales myself. If they don't come out with a cellidor version soon I'll likely replace them with plus scales.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. If they do come out with a regular version then I probably should have waited for that one, but I jumped the gun a bit when I saw this one because it had an ideal combination of tools I've wanted in one factory SAK for the longest. I've actually mentioned multiple times around here that my top three tools were scissors, cap lifter, fingernail file; and if I could pick a 4th it would be a dedicated package opener. That made this one a no brainer for me to pick up. I'll probably end up setting it aside for a bit until I have time to to swap the scales out, but I imagine once I do it will become my go-to SAK for daily carry.

7Dscj2q.jpg

my whole reason for clamoring for a Cadet X all these years is not so much about 84mm scissors per se, but really more about having Vic scissors and nail file all in one package, so if they start offering a 91mm file in place of the small blade that solves the problem for me. (Don't get me wrong, still wish there was a Cadet X).

The Classic and the Classic SD have always been there, and it's widely known that the 58mm scissors work great for finger nail trimming. Personally I prefer the newer single cut file pattern over the old grit texture which is still being used on the 58mm models. The 74mm Ambassador/Money Clip has always been an option as well, and there's also the 74mm Executive (not to be confused with the Executive 81, which is a different model that's based on an old Wenger design). 74mm Executives which were made in the last few years also have the new single cut pattern nail files.

These models were always available if that's all you wanted, and even the smallest Vic scissors are capable of cutting 550 paracord effortlessly. But I get it... you wanted something just a little bigger. 84mm and up gives you enough length for a good knife and a set of scissors that are comfortable to use for long periods of time. The 74mm size does give you a lot more than you'd expect though... and the executive even has a small secondary knife blade. That said, I was never a fan of it, but I did end up using a few of them to build a 5 layer thick 74mm custom SAK...

If they do come out with a regular version then I probably should have waited for that one, but I jumped the gun a bit when I saw this one because it had an ideal combination of tools I've wanted in one factory SAK for the longest.

There's almost no chance that they don't come out with a regular Celidor version at a lower price point. Right now they're just milking the early adopters with a higher price point on these goofy limited edition scales. Victorinox is very slow to introduce changes, and I guarantee you that they spent way too much time developing this new tool to only use it for a single run. It would be a huge waste.

If and when the cheaper celidor version comes out, I am going to buy one and mod a regular can opener into it. It'll be a quick mod. I'll pop off the scales, drill the pin out, pull out the package opener, put in a new pivot and swap in the can opener, peen it back together, and add a set of plus scales with the ink pen. Then I'll put it next to my custom Climber with the nail file texture on the back of the parcel hook, and then we'll have a tea party and talk about who the cutest bladeforums members are. Only the cool people will be invited. There will also be cheesecake.

Last edited:
...Not really feeling the Christmas sweater scales myself. If they don't come out with a cellidor version soon I'll likely replace them with plus scales.

All in all I'm happy with my purchase. If they do come out with a regular version then I probably should have waited for that one, but I jumped the gun a bit when I saw this one because it had an ideal combination of tools I've wanted in one factory SAK for the longest. I've actually mentioned multiple times around here that my top three tools were scissors, cap lifter, fingernail file; and if I could pick a 4th it would be a dedicated package opener. That made this one a no brainer for me to pick up. I'll probably end up setting it aside for a bit until I have time to to swap the scales out, but I imagine once I do it will become my go-to SAK for daily carry.

Silly question, but I've never purchased a wood handled SAK. Is the scale swap process the same? Are the wood scales still pressure fit, or do they use a glue/epoxy means of attaching the wood scales? If these are easy to swap out, I'll probably pick one of these up right away :)

The Classic and the Classic SD have always been there, and it's widely known that the 58mm scissors work great for finger nail trimming. Personally I prefer the newer single cut file pattern over the old grit texture which is still being used on the 58mm models. The 74mm Ambassador/Money Clip has always been an option as well, and there's also the 74mm Executive (not to be confused with the Executive 81, which is a different model that's based on an old Wenger design). 74mm Executives which were made in the last few years also have the new single cut pattern nail files.

These models were always available if that's all you wanted, and even the smallest Vic scissors are capable of cutting 550 paracord effortlessly. But I get it... you wanted something just a little bigger. 84mm and up gives you enough length for a good knife and a set of scissors that are comfortable to use for long periods of time. The 74mm size does give you a lot more than you'd expect though... and the executive even has a small secondary knife blade. That said, I was never a fan of it, but I did end up using a few of them to build a 5 layer thick 74mm custom SAK...

There's almost no chance that they don't come out with a regular Celidor version at a lower price point. Right now they're just milking the early adopters with a higher price point on these goofy limited edition scales. Victorinox is very slow to introduce changes, and I guarantee you that they spent way too much time developing this new tool to only use it for a single run. It would be a huge waste.

If and when the cheaper celidor version comes out, I am going to buy one and mod a regular can opener into it. It'll be a quick mod. I'll pop off the scales, drill the pin out, pull out the package opener, put in a new pivot and swap in the can opener, peen it back together, and add a set of plus scales with the ink pen. Then I'll put it next to my custom Climber with the nail file texture on the back of the parcel hook, and then we'll have a tea party and talk about who the cutest bladeforums members are. Only the cool people will be invited. There will also be cheesecake.

True, and even though I do like having a cap lifter with me as well, honestly carrying an Alox Classic along with whichever large SAK solves all my problems without adding any additional bulk at all to my carry. I do carry the rambler by itself often as well to have all 3 in one 58mm package, and the Alox Minichamp gets plenty of carry too. I also think the old Vagabond/Mate series is pretty cool and I have a couple of those I was able to grab NOS. I do have an Executive that I keep in my pack, and I think the orange peeler works sufficiently as a package opener on that one. I agree that 74mm is a great size, and I just went and checked out yours in the mod thread, sweet 👍.

I also agree that there's no way they are going to develop and tool up for a new tool without using it more widely in the future, so we're bound to see more of this package opener going forward. Perhaps more files in 91's as well.

In the end I'm always going to want to rotate and have options, so the idea of a perfect one is just for fun. I really do need to finally get into customizing. I've accumulated donors and some supplies, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

BTW, every time I think about me preferring a nail file to another blade, I can't help but be reminded of this old scene from the Simpsons

18d3ada2-0a68-4b8f-80d4-08e63835b4ef_text.gif

Silly question, but I've never purchased a wood handled SAK. Is the scale swap process the same? Are the wood scales still pressure fit, or do they use a glue/epoxy means of attaching the wood scales? If these are easy to swap out, I'll probably pick one of these up right away :)

The process is more delicate, and you certainly risk cracking the originals if you're not careful. I've only done it a few times, but I was able to make it happen each time. The key was heating it with a hairdryer to loosen whatever kind of adhesive they use. Then there is the issue of getting in between the scales and liner without a toothpick/tweezer slot to use as a starting point. I used an Xacto knife to get it started and just went slowly and carefully. Then once you get a small gap started you can move onto using something else to get it the rest of the way off. It's not without its perils, but it can be done.

Mine came off pretty easy and in one piece. A thin blade and a steady hand is all you need. And if you don’t want them anyway, just go for it 😉

How deep does the engraving on the scales go? Could you just sand it off, or would you lose too much material doing so?

I'm very tempted by the Companion as well. I do use the small blade, but mostly as a package opener. And though I don't mind the file, I kind of wish Victorinox would adopt Wegner's 2D Philips driver. The one on the Swiss Sportsman actually works very well, much better than the one on the end of the can opener.

How deep does the engraving on the scales go? Could you just sand it off, or would you lose too much material doing so?

I'm very tempted by the Companion as well. I do use the small blade, but mostly as a package opener. And though I don't mind the file, I kind of wish Victorinox would adopt Wegner's 2D Philips driver. The one on the Swiss Sportsman actually works very well, much better than the one on the end of the can opener.
I was thinking the same... As much as I want to try the new tool, I don´t find the pattern on the wood that nice :( . I am not sure they are worth saving just because, so I will try to sand it off when it arrives. I have successfully "smoked" walnut wood before, so that may be an option if the pattern runs to deep. When measuring my other wood scaled Spartan, the scales are slightly thicker than the celidor scales so there should be some margin. Worst that can happen it that it gets some original celidor scales...

Yea, it seems laser etched to me. You can easily feel it with your fingernail, but not nearly as deep as the emblem. I really don't have enough knowledge or experience doing so to say how well sanding it off might work. It does wrap around to the sides a bit though, which seems to me would be at least somewhat more difficult than if it were just on the flat surface.

Here is a very lengthy youtube video showcasing the new SAK model. 🔗

Be warned that you will need to endure an obnoxious mixture of bird calls which is constantly playing in the background. If you can tolerate that, then this video is probably worth your time. You will see the wood scales close up, which gives you a very good idea of the depth of the engraving. You will also get to see the box cutter being put to use.

Back