AR-15: America's Rifle

I guess I got really lucky, the standard PSA brand milspec trigger that came in my lpk is actually quite nice. Heavy, but crisp, clean, and predictable. It will be getting a yellow spring kit soon, or maybe just a trigger spring. Reset it a little longer than I like, but it's a hunting MSR, and not of great importance. So far only been dry firing, gun isn't complete yet, but thankfully trigger pull doesn't change when a barrel is bolted on. I may eventually go for a two stage SSA, but that's a ways down the road.

-X

You cant go wrong with any Geissele trigger. I have the SD-E (Flat bow version of the SSA-E) in one of my guns and it is freaking sweet. Everyone that shoots it absolutely loves it. Its hard to go back to a regualr, curved trigger after using the flat bow, it just feels better to me. Plus it looks fantastic IMO.

Im starting a pistol build right now and will be putting the ALG ACT trigger in it. I hear good things.

6C44E16A-D4C9-48D4-9F7E-1633DCA4F323_zpsbeyt3guj.jpg

I was looking at the ACT trigger, and per ALG's specs, it's designed to be run dry. The regular one is designed to be lubed. Either one with a yellow spring kit should get you in the 4# range. My dad just bought the regular one because he likes to use lube in his triggers and added a lightened trigger spring. Big difference from his horrible mil spec trigger with tons of creep and about 3 stages, lol! It also broke like a green willow branch.

-X

RE: My ACOG. I really like it so far. Even though the eye piece is not focusable, the reticle and image is crystal clear. (Because of my cataract surgery, I have problems with most scopes.)
Anyway, I was messing with it in the garage last night and with the lights off I can barely see the reticle. It may be because of the color. It's amber. The auxiliary sight on top of the scope
is green and very bright. I thought about sending it back to Trijicon, but why? If it's dark enough that you need a lighted reticle, it's too dark to recognize a target. Even with a low power
flashlight, the reticle is very clear. I think I'll leave it alone.

This is what I have.

opplanet-trijicon-acog-4x32-advanced-combat-optical-gunsight-ta01nsn-doc-2.jpg

Got it put together. Ordering gas block tomorrow, the vendor I originally ordered from said that Syrac is back ordered and don't know when the .936 size will be available, so I have to go with Midway unfortunately.

20140912_114112_RichtoneHDR_zpscxvykrhy.jpg

-Xander

I know it's not an AR but I have a Sig 556 SWAT that has the aluminum quadrail instead of plastic. It puts a dent in the side of the brass when fired. I would rather it not for when it gets reloaded.

Anyone have an idea if this behavior can be stopped? And what might be doing it? Extractor maybe?

It is a nice rifle and i know it's not the end of the world but would rather it not happen. Since this is an AR thread i will say that while it is a nice gun, I prefer my ARs.

Thanks.

RE: ACOG dim tritium.

I just did something that is almost unheard of. I read the manual. :eek: It says and I quote, "The illumination provided by the tritium lamp is very faint and will be hard to see without a dark adapted eye."

Live and learn........sometimes.

I know it's not an AR but I have a Sig 556 SWAT that has the aluminum quadrail instead of plastic. It puts a dent in the side of the brass when fired. I would rather it not for when it gets reloaded.

Anyone have an idea if this behavior can be stopped? And what might be doing it? Extractor maybe?

It is a nice rifle and i know it's not the end of the world but would rather it not happen. Since this is an AR thread i will say that while it is a nice gun, I prefer my ARs.

Thanks.

It's an AR, they're going to do that pretty much unless you handload and you get your loads to cycle without hitting the shell deflector.

Anyway, it's normal, I reload 5.56/223 and I've never had a problem. The dent occurs when the action cycles and the casing hits the shell deflector

RE: ACOG dim tritium.

I just did something that is almost unheard of. I read the manual. :eek: It says and I quote, "The illumination provided by the tritium lamp is very faint and will be hard to see without a dark adapted eye."

Live and learn........sometimes.

Yup, depends on the reticle and what model you have. I have a TR21 with a red triangle, and because the reticle is larger, it's easier for my eye to pick up at night. Sometimes the red cirlce dot on my TA44 is hard to pick up depending on the lighting conditions, same with the amber in my TR01.

They're great optics, just like anything, takes some getting used to

It's an AR, they're going to do that pretty much unless you handload and you get your loads to cycle without hitting the shell deflector.

Anyway, it's normal, I reload 5.56/223 and I've never had a problem. The dent occurs when the action cycles and the casing hits the shell deflector

Actually it isn't an AR. I guess it could maybe be considered an AR variant but off the shelf AR parts don't fit. Follow the link to see the gun.

I have quite a few ARs and none put dents in the brass, at least not consistently, from hitting the deflector. There is something internal on the Sig that dents the brass every time in the same spot.

Didn't know if anyone knew how to determine what the casing was making contact with and a way to reduce or stop it. Probably need to find a gun forum for the issue but not a member anywhere.

Going from memory, the sig uses a gas piston system in either short or long configuration. Similar to the AK47 set up. It could be "over gassed" which would cause shells to eject and hit the deflector harder. Where on the case are the dents? Case mouth or side of case body? But, even if you could tune the piston system down to eliminate dents with that particular ammo, another lighter ammo may not eject at all. Try some different ammo and see if it still happens.

-X

It's funny how the AR has evolved. Originally, it was supposed to be a light weight rifle, 5 1/2 to 6 pounds. I saw a rifle similar to the one in post #173 at the gun where I
used to work. I tried to pick it up and looked around to see where it was tied to the table. Just out of curiosity, I weighed it. 11 1/2 pounds unloaded. :eek:

BTW, that rifle in post #173 needs more goodies.

1337749579_0.jpg

Actually it isn't an AR. I guess it could maybe be considered an AR variant but off the shelf AR parts don't fit. Follow the link to see the gun.

I have quite a few ARs and none put dents in the brass, at least not consistently, from hitting the deflector. There is something internal on the Sig that dents the brass every time in the same spot.

Didn't know if anyone knew how to determine what the casing was making contact with and a way to reduce or stop it. Probably need to find a gun forum for the issue but not a member anywhere.

Didn't catch the 556 in the link, AR thread, figured it was a M400

Got pics of dent in the brass?

It's funny how the AR has evolved. Originally, it was supposed to be a light weight rifle, 5 1/2 to 6 pounds. I saw a rifle similar to the one in post #173 at the gun where I
used to work. I tried to pick it up and looked around to see where it was tied to the table. Just out of curiosity, I weighed it. 11 1/2 pounds unloaded. :eek:

BTW, that rifle in post #173 needs more goodies.

1337749579_0. jpg

Lol, my rifle in post #167 weighs in right about that! But, I built mine as a long range precision rifle. The barrel alone weighs 4#12oz! But, it's ok, it's not designed to be carried for miles. I am going to build a light weight .223 Wylde upper though, should be done in the next couple months as I save my lunch money!

-X

Back