AR-15: America's Rifle

Oh I agree completely about them being damn good and accurate enough. Are all bolt guns on the level of a Panda with a hart barrel? No. My current build is actually being built as a long range hunter and I hope to be able to get sub moa accuracy out to 400 yards, if I do my part, 1" at 100 yards is sub moa and will keep me in the vitals out to 400. I am altering my chamber, blue printing the receiver, going with an adjustable stock, and will upgrade the trigger. Are they capable of a 200-13X at midrange? Not typically, but that's often more of a function of the cartridge and limits of magazine COAL dimensions.

But my bolt, charging handle and buffer kit should be here next week!

-Xander

I used a wrench with leather and blue tape and still got scuff marks. Bennie Cooley comp on a Sig 716 3Gun.

2014-06-06_16-31-15_769_zps9c471f3f.jpg

Covered the marks with carbon at a 2 day carbine/rifle class...

2014-06-08_11-37-37_177_zpsf54d7a1e.jpg

that 2 day carbine class put on by Bennie Cooley? In the pic, looks like one of his CRTC red shirts.

This thread reminded me of something I read about 2 years ago in SWAT magazine about a torture test of an AR.

I have always felt that steel and wood made the best guns, now I am not so sure.

An AR15 was selected at a shooting school and shot without cleaning. I think it went about 26,000 rounds with the only maintenance done was to squirt some SLIP200 into the receiver.
The rifle was called Filthy 14 for the rack number. It was said that the gun was so dirty that it contaminated the rifles next to it. After it was cleaned, it was shot another 5000 rounds
without cleaning. The article didn't mention much about malfunctions except the the extractor and spring was replaced at about 25,000 rounds.

I know a couple of guys who ran their own test. They fired 5000 rounds from an AR without cleaning. All they did was squirt some Mobil 1 into the action. They had zero malfunctions.

Not bad for a rifle made by Mattel. :D

Gotta question, in my build I have settled on an adjustable gas block. I am considering the Wilson Combat adjustable low profile because I am going to use a 15" handguard to cover it and it adjusts from the front. But, in reading about accurizing it is recommended to use a clamp on style. Is there a low profile, adjustable clamp on for a .936" gas journal? I've done some searching but there are so many little boutique brands out there it can be difficult to find exactly what you want. Price, I would like to keep it under $100 for the block and tube, closer to 50-60 bucks would be better. As it is I'm already going to be $1400 into this when done, even with some serious cost saving through buying blems and such. Need some money left for ammo and tags, lol!

-Xander

Gotta question, in my build I have settled on an adjustable gas block. I am considering the Wilson Combat adjustable low profile because I am going to use a 15" handguard to cover it and it adjusts from the front. But, in reading about accurizing it is recommended to use a clamp on style. Is there a low profile, adjustable clamp on for a .936" gas journal? I've done some searching but there are so many little boutique brands out there it can be difficult to find exactly what you want. Price, I would like to keep it under $100 for the block and tube, closer to 50-60 bucks would be better. As it is I'm already going to be $1400 into this when done, even with some serious cost saving through buying blems and such. Need some money left for ammo and tags, lol!
-Xander

Serious question - why did you settle on an adjustable?
$60 including a (rifle legnth?) $15 tube will be pretty hard to do...

I have decided on an adjustable because I am running a 24" barrel in 6.8spc, my gas port is .095" and I will be reloading for this gun, so being able to tune the gas system for proper operation with higher pressure loads would be best, IMHO. The gun will be built as a long range hunter with precision as an emphasis.

I have found a couple different gas blocks that are just over $100 each, which I'm fine with. I just wanted to save a little if possible. But, the blocks I have found I think justify the extra cost. I like to research my options before buying.

-Xander

America's rifle. The M1903.

My CMP M1903. Rock Island from 1918. It was $400 delivered to my door from Anniston 12-15 years ago. Packed in cosmoline.

M1903%2520cosmo.jpg

M1903.jpg

^^ nice! I have a 1917 which was actually in use with much higher numbers than the 1903. Both, are great old rifles!

-X

My M1917 was cheap back when I got it about 20 years ago. Not much over 100 bucks. Certainly well under 200. Put a Parker Hale rear sight on it about 10 years ago. The M1917 was war emergency manufacture in 1917 and 1918 since we were already tooled up for the UK P1914. After the war, the M1903 remained standard, and the M1917s were either depot stored or released and sold for civilian use.

The interwar Remington Model 30 sporter used the same action. Remington made the Model 30 from 1921-1940.

US%25201917.JPG

Last edited:
Bought an AP Customs 15" carbon fiber hand guard today, closing in on a finished AR15 soon! Gas system, stock, optics and ammo is all I need now!

-X

I picked this up about an hour ago. I have owned 2 ARs. The first one I bought in the mid 80s. It was a Colt SP1 (I think) It didn't group, it patterned. I bought my 2nd one when I moved to AZ.
It was a DSA ZM4. It was much better, but for some reason would not shoot 55gr. bullets. It shot 62gr to 75gr bullets just fine, but I needed the money for something else and sold it. I decided
I needed a new AR, so I bought this one, a BCM4. I have high hopes for this one.

Now I have to decide what scope to put on it. I NEED a scope. I have narrowed my search down to the Leupold VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x20 and the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. I'm kind of leaning
towards the Vortex because it has a true 1x and the objective is larger. Too many choices to obsess over.

zFLekkw.jpg

I prefer Leupold for light transmission but both are quality. Also check out some of the Nikon scopes.

-Xander

Back