AR-15: America's Rifle

I have a PST 1-4, it's a good scope, clear, and gathers a good amount of light. But to my eyes, I pick up the reticle on the Leupold better, and Leupolds, to me, seem clearer.

Both are good scopes though

I have a PST 1-4, it's a good scope, clear, and gathers a good amount of light. But to my eyes, I pick up the reticle on the Leupold better, and Leupolds, to me, seem clearer.

Both are good scopes though

Vortex is a better bang for the buck. Personally, I prefer Vortex. I've had a few issues with Leupold.

One company that has really astounded me though, for a budget item, is Primary Arms... Oh my.

Vortex is a better bang for the buck. Personally, I prefer Vortex. I've had a few issues with Leupold.

One company that has really astounded me though, for a budget item, is Primary Arms... Oh my.

Bang for the buck? Agreed, the Vortex is a better buy. Personally I still think the glass in the Leupold in the Mark AR and the VXR line is clearer.

I've had issues with both Leupold and Vortex, some my own scopes, others my customers. I had to send a $849 Vortex back to Vortex because the glass wasn't set properly in the scope, and I mounted a Razor to a 50BMG Noreen today and I'm pretty damn dead nutz sure that the reticle cell wasn't set right in the scope. EVERYTING on that rifle was level, besides the reticle cell.

At the same time, I've had Leupold f up from the factory, same with a $3k Swarovski.

They're man made, they can and will break. But customer service for both Vortex and Leupold have been great

I've been reading about their scopes and have read a few long term reviews (over 1 year in use on .30 cal rifles, too) that have all given them excellent ratings, far above what a Chinese imported scope should be. I'm eyeballing their 4-14x44 pretty hard for my current build.

-X

The only time it's ok to see an exploded AR15...

2014-08-12%2010.04.54_zpspmfjdpzx.jpg

-Xander

I have no clue when it comes to firearms: How much do these weapons cost on average, as they're being shown here in the thread? Just curious, nice photos guys.

I have no clue when it comes to firearms: How much do these weapons cost on average, as they're being shown here in the thread? Just curious, nice photos guys.

They can go anywhere from ~$500 to $4000 depending on options.

I'd say average, for a good gun, is going to be $800-1200. The cost/benefit ratio with AR15s is slowly getting cheaper and cheaper as days go on. Political pressure has generally been the greatest cost driver of anything weapon related. Right now, you can build a capable AR15 on the lower end of the spectrum. In the future, who knows. After Sandy Hook, even a mediocre AR was fetching $1000+ due to increased demand from everyone afraid they were going to be banned.

One word of advice. Have a plan on what you want and have realistic expectations on what you're going to do with it. I see people pay way too much for rifles they'll never even shoot, or at least not enough to make a difference. Buying quality is always good, but quality isn't a direct correlation with price in the AR world. Often times, name brand alone will add hundreds of dollars to the price tag.

SilentJohn... don't know if your comment on the ACOG was facetious or not, but if you have one with fiber optic (I have a TA31F) if you pull you eye out of the eye box, and get a slightly ghosted image around the edge of the eyepiece, the illuminated dot is on the principle focal plane and can be used like a dot scope up close...for moving targets, the Bindon Aiming Concept (BAC) allows you track the object at 1x and your brain switches to 4x when the object or motion of the rifle stops... the stadia lines subtend the width of a man's shoulders (19") at the indicated distance, which is approximately 10" of wind holdoff on either side of the vertical line... the width of the chevron base at 300m is the stadia line... it does take some working with it...at the Ft Benning 3 gun match in 2010, I was using an older TA01 and had to hold approximately 15" of wind for the 10" MGM flash target at 415m... I got a hit in 3 shots.... 400m LaRue targets are typically a single shot

it was a honest question , one of my main rules in my life is don't be a d!ck.

and after using the scop for a while I really can tell the performance is great and enjoy it immensely

Mine is coming in right around $1500 using my own optics and scoring some serious deals. But, I am building a long range precision gun, accuracy ain't cheap. I still need to buy a good trigger as well, that's another $200 or more. Reliable, accurate and decent quality can be had for $800-$900. Or, you can start with something like the Mossberg for $600 and upgrade a few things as money comes along.

-Xander

OH NO! Where did this come from....thats an 'MERICAN rifle!
bhd-m2157435.jpg40661.jpg

moh_somalia_shughartRD.jpg

Moh2.jpg

I guess we need an Car-15!
Gordon_and_CAR-15.jpg

Gotta have Gordon in a ar-15 thread!

I have shot my new BCM AR a few times and it's great except for one thing. The trigger sucks. It's not only about 7 pounds, but it has about 6 distinct steps.
I got a good deal on a POF single stage 4.5 pound trigger and installed it yesterday. What a difference! :D

When I examined the old trigger, the problem was obvious. It looks like the sear surfaces were ground with some sort of surface grinder and no effort was made to
polish the grinder marks. You would think that for what they charge for these rifles, they could make a effort to put a half way usable trigger in them. I suppose that
I could have polished the sear surfaces and reduced the pull a bit, but I don't think that it would be worth the effort.

c9dNWYY.jpg

I really like the POF drop ins, have one on my POF and on another build, crisp and very short reset. The EFP2 is pretty slick as well

Back