Can you flick a sebenza 21 large easily ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why fork over the money for something that isn’t meant for your intended use ?
I’d much rather buy something like a Hinderer or a Shirogorov to fill that need to have a flipper/flicker, have you looked at the new ZT releases ?
I just picked up a ZT0462 and it is a slim knife that is a great flipper. Haven’t tried the other two new releases.
Sure, you can tweek a Sebenza to make it flick easily, it really depends on the model. I find the CCG/Unique graphic’s are smoother and would probably make better flickers than the plain or inlays. But then again, I wouldn’t spend the money to make a CRK what it’s not.

Because the Sebenza ticks all the boxes, except the flicking one. Why should I pass on this one ? I never said I'd not buy it if it's not easy to flick it. I'll also actually USE the knife (being a police inspector and all...). ZT0462 looks like ass next to a seb 21, imo.

Just be patient and ignore those that are unhelpful with your question. This is an active forum as Chris Reeve is a very popular brand. When I first received mine a week or two ago and was disppointed with the opening action there were some very courteous members here that I found to be very helpful. It might take a few days, but they will respond to your thread with better answers.
Some pointed me to some other brands like Reate that make easier flippers.

I just picked up a Rike that looked real nice in the youtube reviews, but it too opens very hard . . . so I'm sending it into their customer service to diagnois it and maybe replace the washers inside and loosen it up. Sometimes i opens easy, but most of the time its causing me pain on my finger tip. Adjusting the pivot screw is not helping the opening pressure. Only had it a few hours and now I'll lose it for weeks. Seems the more I spend on a knife many seem to have the same poor design issues.

Then some here will suggest we didn't do our homework when we bought a particular knife. Well, I'm not one for gun and knife shows. Most of the stores around here don't carry the higher end brands in order for me to handle a certain model before I buy it. So I'm stuck buying one off these forums unhandled and then it seems to only to have bought a knife that someone was unhappy with do to its poor design issues..

I might have to stick with the stores like knifecenter.com or bladeHQ.com because you might pay more through them (but still lower than MSRP) for the same model you can snag here cheaper, but I've found I'm probably better off buying from the online stores as they have a 60 day return policy for full credit or another model. This allows you to handle one and only keep the one you are happy with. This might be a better way for you to go as you could call them and ask for a Sebenza 21 and have one of their reps find a looser blade for you, before they ship it. if you are still unhappy, then just send it back for full credit. Unless you know exactly what you want buying a model here is risky as if you dont like it your are stuck with it or having to re-sell it here. You are looking at $450-485 (U.S.) for the large Sebenza online. Might be worth your while doing it that way rather than try and save another $75 off their listed prices by buying one off a forum.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty tiring to explain to some internet people taking defensive stance why you want to buy something. I didn't know it was this hard for some to be helpful.

It’s not that anyone is being unhelpful or defensive, what it boils down to is what has already been stated, CRK’s aren’t designed to be flickers. Nothing defensive about that at all, I can’t speak for the other forum members, I do not flick open the CRK’s I own because CRK does not recommend it.
Can a Sebenza be modified to flick open, absolutely. I’ve seen several videos that show how some have modded a CRK to make it flick open. Will you get the suggestions on how to do it in the CRK forum, probably not. Most people here in the CRK forum use their CRK’s according to their intended design. That’s all.

I've owned several CRKs, both the Inkosi and the Sebenza 21. You can flick them open, but it does take some getting used to with the correct technique.
Normal flicking will NOT void your warranty, only flicking with a wrist action does.

It’s not that anyone is being unhelpful or defensive, what it boils down to is what has already been stated, CRK’s aren’t designed to be flickers. Nothing defensive about that at all, I can’t speak for the other forum members, I do not flick open the CRK’s I own because CRK does not recommend it.
Can a Sebenza be modified to flick open, absolutely. I’ve seen several videos that show how some have modded a CRK to make it flick open. Will you get the suggestions on how to do it in the CRK forum, probably not. Most people here in the CRK forum use their CRK’s according to their intended design. That’s all.

Then do so, and let people discuss whatever they want to discuss about CR knives in a CRK discussion board.

Man if some didn't warn me CR fanboys were annoying.

Here is a reviewer talking about the Sebenza who has a big following. He’s pretty fair and balanced with this review and he explains why the Sebenza is what it is. And this was from 5 yrs ago and you can see how fast he can open his once you know the proper thumb motion:

Last edited:
There are far better options if your intent is to sit there, absently flicking the knife open over and over again. Yes, it can be done... and, yes, with time, it can be done consistently; but, as has been said repeatedly, it wasn't designed to be opened in that manner.
Get yourself a flipper if you want to use a knife as a fidget toy - spend as much as you want, that doesn't concern me - you'll likely be happier in the long run.

I got the tips from a nice reddit guy.

In fact, you just need to make the washers of the sebenza a bit thinner with sandpaper and strope. There's a proper technique to apply but it works, you can actually flick them open if you thin the washers a bit. That was all I needed to know.

I can flick my Large and Small Sebenzas. I don’t find it particularly satisfying and I prefer a more controlled thumb roll.

Now the Umnumzaan...that is very gratifying to thumb flick and the pivot can be adjusted to suit your technique so the blade lands with just the perfect amount of force...not too hard, not too soft.

Yes, the sebenza can be flicked... it is just not intuitive. So when some say it's not designed for it, it certainly can be done when you get the hang of it (no modifications to the knife required).

I bought my first sebenza with the exact same question, and I wanted to be able to flick it open as well. No problem. I had a much harder time with the umnumzaan until I figured it out. Short answer is, yes, it certainly can be done.

I have a large 21 and i can sum it up as follows. It can be done its not impossible. It isnt natural or overly comfortible. If you carry it alot im sure you would be consistant if you only carry it a bit you will likely fail at it more than your hoping for. For what its worth i really like it for its many positive qualities. If flicking is at the top of your list I would try before you buy or buy used because you may not love it. Hope that helps.

I'm looking to buy one and unfortunately - living in Europe - I can't try it before I buy one and get the actual thing in my hand.

I'm your typical compulsive flicker, I need to flick my knives. I've heard conflicted report on the large Seb 21. Some say it's hard to flick out of the box, some say it will get easier with time, some say it will always be a hard thing to do because of the position of the thumbstud... Where lies the truth ? I know you can do it with some wrist movement, but I'm not interested, I like my flicking to be just from my thumb and the balance of the blade.

I dig everything on this knife, by the way. It looks perfect.

The Sebenza 21 is not designed to be flicked open. Especially when you first get the knife it will be difficult to flip open without giving it some wrist. Also Sebenzas tend to require a different motion to the thumbstud than most knives.

On most knives you if you were holding the knife vertically push the thumbstud sort of up diagonally in one motion which will cause the blade to flick out and lock open.

On a sebenza if holding the knife vertically you have to push the thumb stud out horizontally (parallel to the ground if holding the knife vertically) and then in sort of a semi circle around the pivot.

Out of the box the knife will almost certainly not flick well. You have to want a knife that you are willing to slowly thumb open if you want to appreciate the sebenza’s action. Then over many opening the knife will break in and one day it will begin to flick well.

My small 21 which is completely broken in flicks out like a champ and easily. (Though the motion is still abit different from most thumb studded knives) My large 21 which was not broken in could barely be flicked at all. With time and enough slow semicircular openings that large 21 would have broken in and flicked like a champ too.

Also the CRK knives with the ceramic ball bearing lockface do not flick well at all. This includes the Sebenza 25, Inkosi and Umnumzaan.

I can flick my Large and Small Sebenzas. I don’t find it particularly satisfying and I prefer a more controlled thumb roll.

Now the Umnumzaan...that is very gratifying to thumb flick and the pivot can be adjusted to suit your technique so the blade lands with just the perfect amount of force...not too hard, not too soft.

Nice to have someone who buy CRK and he's a flicker too. Flicking is life.

Yes, the sebenza can be flicked... it is just not intuitive. So when some say it's not designed for it, it certainly can be done when you get the hang of it (no modifications to the knife required).

I bought my first sebenza with the exact same question, and I wanted to be able to flick it open as well. No problem. I had a much harder time with the umnumzaan until I figured it out. Short answer is, yes, it certainly can be done.

The Sebenza 21 is not designed to be flicked open. Especially when you first get the knife it will be difficult to flip open without giving it some wrist. Also Sebenzas tend to require a different motion to the thumbstud than most knives.

On most knives you if you were holding the knife vertically push the thumbstud sort of up diagonally in one motion which will cause the blade to flick out and lock open.

On a sebenza if holding the knife vertically you have to push the thumb stud out horizontally (parallel to the ground if holding the knife vertically) and then in sort of a semi circle around the pivot.

Out of the box the knife will almost certainly not flick well. You have to want a knife that you are willing to slowly thumb open if you want to appreciate the sebenza’s action. Then over many opening the knife will break in and one day it will begin to flick well.

My small 21 which is completely broken in flicks out like a champ and easily. (Though the motion is still abit different from most thumb studded knives) My large 21 which was not broken in could barely be flicked at all. With time and enough slow semicircular openings that large 21 would have broken in and flicked like a champ too.

Also the CRK knives with the ceramic ball bearing lockface do not flick well at all. This includes the Sebenza 25, Inkosi and Umnumzaan.

Thanks for your answer. It can be done, but the thumbstud position is a bit hard to get the hang of, then.

Then do so, and let people discuss whatever they want to discuss about CR knives in a CRK discussion board.

If you don't get it that he was explaining to you the reason why few have answered your question, then there isn't much else to say. He WAS being helpful.
Probably one of the most level headed members in this group actually.

To answer your question..A great many of these knives take some time to break them in and wear all the mating parts to each other.
You are welcome to follow the advise to sand the washers given to you elsewhere, but be aware that CRK doesn't mail out new washers. The knife has to be sent in to be fitted. Minor variations in the stock and some of the parts creates this condition.

If you don't get it that he was explaining to you the reason why few have answered your question, then there isn't much else to say. He WAS being helpful.
Probably one of the most level headed members in this group actually.

To answer your question..A great many of these knives take some time to break them in and wear all the mating parts to each other.
You are welcome to follow the advise to sand the washers given to you elsewhere, but be aware that CRK doesn't mail out new washers. The knife has to be sent in to be fitted. Minor variations in the stock and some of the parts creates this condition.

I will never understand why people buy a knife with tolerances like a CRK then go ahead and start sanding down surfaces that move against one another.

As far as I can tell the knife is designed to break in and get smoother over time with use.

I will never understand why people buy a knife with tolerances like a CRK then go ahead and start sanding down surfaces that move against one another.

As far as I can tell the knife is designed to break in and get smoother over time with use.

I don't either, but usually do not find that I am going to influence the decisions that people want to make concerning what they do with the things they buy.
My purity has been sullied..

I'm glad I noticed that this appeared before my post (the joy of getting interrupted several times while composing a relatively simple post) because I'm hardly a fanboy. I do generally flick my large 21...when I'm opening it to use it. I don't do it repeatedly, just for the sake of doing it, primarily because it brings me no joy to do so. Maybe you'll feel differently (I don't doubt it, if flicking is life to you) - if so, flick to your heart's content...but there ARE numerous knives that will flick/flip better than a CRK ranging from a relatively painless $100 (or less) to well over $1000. Your money, spend it on what makes you happy.

The op seems to be looking for only one answer to his question. That being if it’s not the answer he’s looking for offense is taken. There has been numerous answers to his question from some knowledgeable members. As of people being mean nah we know that’s nots what’s going on here op. Your question has been answered a few times as we have all read. Now with that your only looking to hear they are great flippers as you stated the are perfect other then they aren’t really a flipping knife. So again can you flip them with effort yes, are they designed to be a flipper know, agian all this has been said to you. Seems weird new account 2 threads started both seeming to start a little controversy not a lot but just enough and then reading your responses here make ya wonder.

The only thing that bothers me is why if they are custom made with such high tolerances . . .
Again, these are not custom knives. Please stop calling them as such.

Here is a reviewer talking about the Sebenza who has a big following. He’s pretty fair and balanced with this review and he explains why the Sebenza is what it is. And this was from 5 yrs ago and you can see how fast he can open his once you know the proper thumb motion:
ApostleP :rolleyes:

OP, buy what you want and do what you want with it, but do your research before hand to find out what you are doing. I wouldn't trust reddit for advice. Do not sand or strop the washers or anything internally. Let the knife break in before you immediatly turn around and become disappointed or send it back. It seems that if they are so rare where you live that if you are not happy with it after a while you can turn around and sell it for likely not much of a loss. I can flick my Large 21 open just fine but I only do it to use it. Sounds like you have plenty of fidget knives already. A CRK is much more of a using or collecting knife than a flipping toy. I'd suggest purchasing as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back