Can you flick a sebenza 21 large easily ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never understand why people buy a knife with tolerances like a CRK then go ahead and start sanding down surfaces that move against one another.

As far as I can tell the knife is designed to break in and get smoother over time with use.

I don't either, but usually do not find that I am going to influence the decisions that people want to make concerning what they do with the things they buy.
My purity has been sullied..

Because we all don't buy a sebenza 21 for the water smooth opening. I could care less about this hydrolic kind of action, that's not what I find the most attractive in this particular knife. I really like its looks, its simplicity (compared to my "pain in the ass to maintain" Chaparral), the metal used (the fact that it's reported as easy to sharpen, is also a plus), the blade shape, the way the scale are washed (better than a Sage 2 or a ZT imo) and I won't pass on it just because of the kind of action it has. Now, the best of both world - for me - would be a seb 21 who could actually flick, hence why the thread. It doesn't seem that hard to understand, is it ? We all have different incentive to buy a Sebenza 21, some are buying it for the action, some are buying it for the nice piece of knife history it represents, some for the design, collection etc. I'm not interested in it for its particular action it has and if I can tweak it to fit my taste, I will.

It's like people who bring a Satin finish and rework the Nirvana Spyderco blade a little to make it FFG. Is this also a crime or are people that defensive only when it comes to Sebenza and CRK ? Am I the first who want to mod a knife a little ?

Again, these are not custom knives. Please stop calling them as such.

ApostleP :rolleyes:

OP, buy what you want and do what you want with it, but do your research before hand to find out what you are doing. I wouldn't trust reddit for advice. Do not sand or strop the washers or anything internally. Let the knife break in before you immediatly turn around and become disappointed or send it back. It seems that if they are so rare where you live that if you are not happy with it after a while you can turn around and sell it for likely not much of a loss. I can flick my Large 21 open just fine but I only do it to use it. Sounds like you have plenty of fidget knives already. A CRK is much more of a using or collecting knife than a flipping toy. I'd suggest purchasing as such.

Again, who said I'll only use it as a flipping toy ? Because that's what you're suggesting (you and the guy before who told me to buy a fidget spinner). I use every of my knife daily, I just happen to flick them a lot between uses. I don't really get why is it so hard to understand to some people that you can actually be a flicker kind of knife enthousiast and still use the knife often. Are those two things mutually exclusive ?

I don't collect knife myself, I just rotate the ones I own, but I won't judge people who do so.

I'll take the advice of let the knife break-in before attacking the washers.

The op seems to be looking for only one answer to his question. That being if it’s not the answer he’s looking for offense is taken. There has been numerous answers to his question from some knowledgeable members. As of people being mean nah we know that’s nots what’s going on here op. Your question has been answered a few times as we have all read. Now with that your only looking to hear they are great flippers as you stated the are perfect other then they aren’t really a flipping knife. So again can you flip them with effort yes, are they designed to be a flipper know, agian all this has been said to you. Seems weird new account 2 threads started both seeming to start a little controversy not a lot but just enough and then reading your responses here make ya wonder.

Someone asked if you could flick a sebenza 21 and that's "controversy" to you ? Screams defensive insecurity to me.

I accept both "yes" and "no" answers, which is actually the purpose of the thread, as long as it goes with an explanation so we can sort the thruth out, because as you can see, there's a lot of conflicting reports in this same thread (like I said in my first post).

The worst things is, there have been a lot of interesting answers, but thanks to the paternalist answers of some, it's hard to get the point now.

Last edited:
The answer by bhyde was a good one and what you were seeking as to how to customize the opening action to your liking. I was going to suggest before you sand down the washers that you order two stock ones incase you want to resell the knife. He even answered that for you in that CR wont sell you the washers alone. Just be aware that their turn around time for me when I sent them mine last week to center my blade and check for bad or pinched washers is 4-6 weeks. The rep did tell me they have seen pinched washers before making the blade overly stiff.

I have to agree as a new owner of a small Sebenza I was taken aback of how stiff the movement was. From my take if thinning the washers would make the blade easier to open then why not offer optional factory made thinner washers for people that desire an easier opening blade? For what their knives cost IMO one should not have to wait maybe years for a knife to brake in to what one's personal opening and closing effort should be.

I know how the OP feels after some of the responses as I got similar ones when I first opened the box and asked in a thread "why is the Sebenza so hard to open?" I got answers like "this is not the right knife for you" you shoud look else where. Another one practically scolded me for opening the knife up and warning me not to represent it as new if I resold it! Even though CR supplies you with an allen wrench to do so AND it was the rep that suggested I open it up and check for a pinched washer. Actually there is nothing inside my model except 2 bronze washers, which is a credit to its tolerances. I never bought mine as new in the first place! But its birthdate was only 2 months ago.

I can also understand the fanboy attitude of "whatever you do you must accept it as it is since its a CR or look elsewhere". CK has quite a following. But just like sports or political sides, there will always be people that are adamantly seeing only one side or the other with certain questions about "their brand"

I expect this in a brand specific forum. CR has been around for 34 years and its forums like this where many members are bent on "keeping the brand pure" and as Nick Shabazz (a fair and balanced knife reviewer IMO and he also likes the 21 overall) . . . he would say as to the fans trying to keep the brand pure . . . He would say "and thats just great and thats a hell of a thing!"

Knowing that the OP now knows that his answer is to simply thin down the bronze washers a little with sandpaper Im sure he might have already entered his order for a 21! I'm still in the market for my future 21, now that I've learned from the members a CR was never designed as a flipper and will probably sell my small one when it comes back from CR, as I'm not into small blades anyway but I bought it as it was a cheaper way to get into a CR. I do have stiff finger joints, so when I find a 21 or buy one new I might thin the washers down myself too. Its nice to know I can just send it back to CR and they will put it back to OEM for free, if I so decide.

And thanks to all the CR aficionados for trying to keep the brand pure as Chris designed it.

Last edited:
I don't think any "fanboys" attacked you or was rude in anyway ... you asked a question you got several replies ...

if you don't like the replies that's not someone being rude it's just someone who is just being honest with you ... and you get bent out of shape at them?

And then to insult a ZT0452 after pronoucing you're a "police inspector after all" ... what does that have to do with anything? ...

and why do people think all you wanted was a toy to flick ... maybe this ...
I'm your typical compulsive flicker, I need to flick my knives.

If you ask a question you will get answers ... you may not like them all nor agree but most have just been straight forward honest with you ... what you do with that information is up to you ... but no need to insult people actually attempting to help you.

Good luck with whatever knife you choose.

I think you'll be very disappointed if you buy a CRK as a flicker knife. CRKs aren't made to be flicked or flipped open. You've gotten a lot of honest answers here that you have misinterpreted as negativity towards you. I see it as trying to save you some money from buying a knife that you won't like.

I sentence you to many weeks of Sebenza thumb!

*thunder clap*

Chill out man. No one is trying to insult you. And no regrinding a Nirvana’s blade is totally not the same thing as messing with a the parts of knives which move against one another. No one is trying to tell you what to do with your knife. They are only suggestions.

And guess who just became a new owner of a Sebenza 21! If you guessed “me” ... then winner winner chicken dinner!

What i like about this purchase is the previous owner has already put a sharpened KME edge on it. I own a wicked edge sharpening system and will change that edge over to a mirrored Wicked Edge!
If I had bought a 21 brand new I would not have the heart to change the edge right off the bat, so this one allows me to mirror the edge right away. Im not a big cutter person with a folder anyway and have other blades to do that type of work when I beed too. Should look nice on my dresser sitting next to its little brother the small sebenza. the included damascus clip and that different back piece both look interesting. only born on 9/19/2016 off its certificate of birth.
and for mu tastes of a little looser blade, since its almost 3 years old hopefully its action has been broken in a little so i dont have to try the thinning the washers tip.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...p-custom-mk4-dauntless.1566894/#post-17975115

Last edited:
Again, who said I'll only use it as a flipping toy ? Because that's what you're suggesting (you and the guy before who told me to buy a fidget spinner). I use every of my knife daily, I just happen to flick them a lot between uses. I don't really get why is it so hard to understand to some people that you can actually be a flicker kind of knife enthousiast and still use the knife often. Are those two things mutually exclusive ?

I don't collect knife myself, I just rotate the ones I own, but I won't judge people who do so.

This isn't using your knife, it is unnecessarily playing with it:
I'm your typical compulsive flicker, I need to flick my knives.
CRKs are not meant to do this. It is not only not recommended, it will void your warranty. So yes, with a CRK, being a compulsive unnecessary flicker is not what using the knife is about. Modding the knife is highly unrecommended as well. You can never put that metal back on the washers. And for, you a trip back to CRK will be expensive and time consuming if you mess it up. But it is your time and money. You need to evaluate if the risk is worth it to you. For me it would not be worth it but I can flick my 21 just fine with no trouble, though I only do so when I actually need to open the knife and often then I don't even flick it though I could.

Out of curiosity, what part of the knife is of concern to wear incorrectly with flicking? I'm curious what CRK looks at to determine the knife has been opened incorrectly and void the warranty? Does it dent the stop pin or damage the washers over time?

For those that want to "flick" a Sebenza and can't, you might consider strengthening your thumbs before sanding your washers. After owning several, I think the ease of opening of a Sebbie is slightly controlled by the age and state of the knife but mostly controlled by the strength, muscle memory and dexterity of the thumb. When you see folks online "flicking" a Sebenza, or folks post here about being able to flick a Sebenza, it's probably a result of them being able to PWN you at thumb wars.

Out of curiosity, what part of the knife is of concern to wear incorrectly with flicking? I'm curious what CRK looks at to determine the knife has been opened incorrectly and void the warranty? Does it dent the stop pin or damage the washers over time?
I would guess-lockbar face and maybe stop pin. Lockbar is Ti working against hardened steel. Ti will always loose that battle, but if slammed into(such as wrist flick) or excessively opened it will loose quicker. By constant opening and closing a knife just for entertainment you can easily put a years worth of wear on the lockface in just a night. Use your knife in a normal fashion and it will last a lifetime.
There is nothing wrong with the thumb flick(though I don't do it), but there is with excessive thumb flicking.
Everything wear out eventually-certain action cause things to wear out sooner
CRK isn't interested in paying for those that have obsessive habits.

Last edited:
I know how the OP feels after some of the responses as I got similar ones when I first opened the box and asked in a thread "why is the Sebenza so hard to open?" I got answers like "this is not the right knife for you" you shoud look else where. Another one practically scolded me for opening the knife up and warning me not to represent it as new if I resold it! Even though CR supplies you with an allen wrench to do so AND it was the rep that suggested I open it up and check for a pinched washer. Actually there is nothing inside my model except 2 bronze washers, which is a credit to its tolerances. I never bought mine as new in the first place! But its birthdate was only 2 months ago.
That was me and I'd say it all over again. After discussing your disassembly and shipping the knife away for service, you expressed an intent to sell it when you got it back. The Knife Exchange needs open and honest transactions. Being that you've not sold here before, I thought it best to remind you that a knife that's been factory serviced and disassembled by user is no longer NIB or LNIB. Your general lack of understanding of many things knife related has put you on the radar of a lot of members here.

It's a little odd that someone who's held a CRK for such a short period of time has so much to say about a CRK...

That was me and I'd say it all over again. After discussing your disassembly and shipping the knife away for service, you expressed an intent to sell it when you got it back. The Knife Exchange needs open and honest transactions. Being that you've not sold here before, I thought it best to remind you that a knife that's been factory serviced and disassembled by user is no longer NIB or LNIB. Your general lack of understanding of many things knife related has put you on the radar of a lot of members here.

It's a little odd that someone who's held a CRK for such a short period of time has so much to say about a CRK...
im not getting sucked into a rant here as i see happen in so many threads where members are chomping at the bit to talk down to newer members. as some did with a newe OP. and I thank you for “your opinion” as to me knowing nothing about knives” even though im here to learn. and also “your warning” to me to suggest I would list the knife I bought used in that I might want to list it as new since I sent it back to the factory. The knife was tight and the blade was off center. Another reason I wanted to send it back to the factory is to rule out the possibility of a counterfit knife before and if I sell it. But Ill certainly check with you as to how I should word my listing since as you say you have alerted the members to be on watch for my selling one in my collection. I just bought a 2nd sebenza the 21 for $425. Alert your buddies that someday I might want to sell it and trade up at some point in the future. You should start a sellers watch list like we have for banned members. You notice I used the term “We” because this is not “your forum”! Geez, you should get a life and stop offering your opinions so freely. You will not get another reply from me to any of your posts as I have put you on my ignore list. Now you can get this thread sent over to whine and cheese as that seems to be your goal when a member doesnt drink your brand of koolaid... buh bye

the op should also use the ignore list for those posters that are posting more to incite then be helpful IMO. it really makes for a much more pleasant forum experience. So far I’ve bought 7 knives in a month from some really nice member/sellers. **And I thank all who have tried to help me learn more about knife collecting.

Last edited:

Indeed. Most of what this member says is wrong, inaccurate, or advice that is off topic. He says he is here to learn but when someone tells him he is wrong and tries to correct him, he throws a fit and accuses members of talking down to him, then he puts them on ignore. It has happened many times with this same guy. If you keep running into issues with many different members, the problem is most likely you.

Yes, you can flick open a Sebenza. You can also front flip a Small inkosi. I could not do either of these things out of the box. The flip technique I use on a Sebenza is like flipping a coin with my finger nail. Works every time.

I think it is a combination of time, technique, and break-in. It took 4 weeks before my Small Sebenza flicked open.

I just got a new Umnumzaan. Thumb was all blistered on day 1, and I couldn’t get it to open. I can open it on day 2, and the blisters are healing. I’ll give it a few weeks before I get frustrated by my inability to flick it, but I know that it will come with time.

Because we all don't buy a sebenza 21 for the water smooth opening. I could care less about this hydrolic kind of action, that's not what I find the most attractive in this particular knife. I really like its looks, its simplicity (compared to my "pain in the ass to maintain" Chaparral), the metal used (the fact that it's reported as easy to sharpen, is also a plus), the blade shape, the way the scale are washed (better than a Sage 2 or a ZT imo) and I won't pass on it just because of the kind of action it has. Now, the best of both world - for me - would be a seb 21 who could actually flick, hence why the thread. It doesn't seem that hard to understand, is it ? We all have different incentive to buy a Sebenza 21, some are buying it for the action, some are buying it for the nice piece of knife history it represents, some for the design, collection etc. I'm not interested in it for its particular action it has and if I can tweak it to fit my taste, I will.

It's like people who bring a Satin finish and rework the Nirvana Spyderco blade a little to make it FFG. Is this also a crime or are people that defensive only when it comes to Sebenza and CRK ? Am I the first who want to mod a knife a little ?

Someone asked if you could flick a sebenza 21 and that's "controversy" to you ? Screams defensive insecurity to me.

I accept both "yes" and "no" answers, which is actually the purpose of the thread, as long as it goes with an explanation so we can sort the thruth out, because as you can see, there's a lot of conflicting reports in this same thread (like I said in my first post).

The worst things is, there have been a lot of interesting answers, but thanks to the paternalist answers of some, it's hard to get the point now.

Please stop posting.

If a $20 Kershaw can handle flicking so can a CRK. I'm sure Chris made a comment about flicking because someone compulsively flicked a Sebenza excessively hard for years and years and then wanted it fixed for free when the lock bar wore. Now people take that as "Sebenzas CANNOT be flicked" ummmm what? Surface level knowledge of materials and design would tell you that if anything, a Sebenza can take flicking better than most knives. Go to your favorite dealer, or your own collection and observe the build and materials in any number of knives that can be flicked... much less robust than a Sebenza.

im not getting sucked into a rant here as i see happen in so many threads where members are chomping at the bit to talk down to newer members. as some did with a newe OP. and I thank you for “your opinion” as to me knowing nothing about knives” even though im here to learn. and also “your warning” to me to suggest I would list the knife I bought used in that I might want to list it as new since I sent it back to the factory. The knife was tight and the blade was off center. Another reason I wanted to send it back to the factory is to rule out the possibility of a counterfit knife before and if I sell it. But Ill certainly check with you as to how I should word my listing since as you say you have alerted the members to be on watch for my selling one in my collection. I just bought a 2nd sebenza the 21 for $425. Alert your buddies that someday I might want to sell it and trade up at some point in the future. You should start a sellers watch list like we have for banned members. You notice I used the term “We” because this is not “your forum”! Geez, you should get a life and stop offering your opinions so freely. You will not get another reply from me to any of your posts as I have put you on my ignore list. Now you can get this thread sent over to whine and cheese as that seems to be your goal when a member doesnt drink your brand of koolaid... buh bye

the op should also use the ignore list for those posters that are posting more to incite then be helpful IMO. it really makes for a much more pleasant forum experience. So far I’ve bought 7 knives in a month from some really nice member/sellers. **And I thank all who have tried to help me learn more about knife collecting.
Thanks for letting me into your head but I don't plan to stay long.

I guess we can all be happy that you figured out it wasn't a "Subenza". Until you know the proper name of a knife, it's probably not cool to offer "expert" commentary.

To the OP, try to be a little more thick skinned. You've gotten some great advice here from people who actually USE their CRKs...and some not so great advice from people who watch videos on YouTube. I hope you can tell the difference.

In terms of "flicking", I'm a bit of a flicker myself. I'll drive my wife nuts while we're watching a movie at home! I've come to love "flicking" my CRKs, although I don't actually flick them. I'll just sit and open them slowly with a smooth arc of the thumb and really enjoy the precise, hydraulic action. You might find that even though a CRK will never flick like a well made flipper, the joy of opening them the way they were designed can be a real kick too! Give it a try when you get one in hand.

And would you please stop posting as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back