Did you go with Microsoft DOTD - Free Windows 10?

back on the winders front:

some lines for y'all to put in your hosts file: caveat emptor - it may block stuff you need.

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
:: 1 localhost
127.0.0.1 local
127.0.0.1 vortex.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telecommand.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 oca.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 sqm.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.telemetry.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 redir.metaservices.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 choice.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 reports.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 services.wes.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 sqm.df.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.ppe.telemetry.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net
127.0.0.1 telemetry.urs.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 telemetry.appex.bing.net:443
127.0.0.1 settings-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 vortex-sandbox.data.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 survey.watson.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 watson.live.com
127.0.0.1 watson.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 statsfe2.ws.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 corpext.msitadfs.glbdns2.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 compatexchange.cloudapp.net
127.0.0.1 cs1.wpc.v0cdn.net
127.0.0.1 a-0001.a-msedge.net
127.0.0.1 statsfe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 sls.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 fe2.update.microsoft.com.akadns.net
127.0.0.1 65.55.108.23
127.0.0.1 65.39.117.230
127.0.0.1 23.218.212.69
127.0.0.1 134.170.30.202
137.116.81.24 127.0.0.1
127.0.0.1 diagnostics.support.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 corp.sts.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 statsfe1.ws.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 pre.footprintpredict.com
127.0.0.1 204.79.197.200
127.0.0.1 23.218.212.69
127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com
127.0.0.1 i1.services.social.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
127.0.0.1 feedback.windows.com
127.0.0.1 feedback.microsoft-hohm.com
127.0.0.1 feedback.search.microsoft.com

Dang I'm trying to reply here and keep getting this error
CloudFlare error.jpg

There is something special in the following text

Awesome info! Thanks for sharing it.

Yep - Using the loopback address in host makes sure the phone home entries using domain names are unable to call home.
But anything with a hard coded address with make it unless blocked by the firewall.

Real privacy in this digital world is extremely difficult to achieve. It also depends who you are concern about.

ie - Average Joe precautions will significantly reduce the risks of identity theft, data leaks and credit card/banking frauds.

I'll add another easy privacy trick - use temporary email services (such as http://10minutemail.com) for goodies requesting email confirmation.
Perfect for forums and other services where the email will not be used later. Then you don't care when your email leaks. It gives you en email address that last 10 minutes (usually comes with a button to extend the time if needed)

Otherwise get an email service that allows aliases. So you can use dedicated aliases for dedicated purposes - all forwarded to your main email account.
When an alias is compromised - You know where it comes from. Then you nuke the alias, go back to the source and create a new alias (if you want to)

eg: snow.bladeforum@alias.com

If I get an email from ndog at this address that's fine.
But if snow.bladeforum@alias.com get an offer for organ enlargement or a notification that my bank account has been locked and I have to kindly give all my credentials. Then I know bladeforum's database as either been compromised or leaked.

Remaining anonymous to an organization with unlimited resources is another story. But those are not interested in the Average Joe, not even the averagely bad ones. If an Average Joe manage to trigger a monitoring alert. They will dig a bit more, watch it for a while then move on once they have the assurance it's just another Average Joe. Things can get nasty if by huge coincidence and bad luck, an innocent person ends up to be flagged as "confirmed" serious threat.

Last edited:
yup. but you can fool HOSTS to also block real IP addresses.(see my added list above for examples) it's better than nothing for the common user... i also use an IP blocker in my sercurity suite/software firewall that prevents any contact a a very low level before the network stack is active, which is getting a bit more involved than most can handle. IT people of course probably already know how.

passwords is another area most people slip up on. best is to use a LONG one with upper and lower case, acceptable punctuation like"!" and numbers, and don't use common phrases, names of your family, birthdays, etc.

ie. "My dog Gertrude had fleas on Pearl Harbour day 07 DEC 2003!!!" - or similar nonsense that is easy to remember....(i just made that one up & don't use it and never will)

Last edited:
Average Joe? I kind of resemble that, perhaps slightly less than average would be more fitting but still.

is your name really joe? or to mention a lesser than 'average jo'? or maybe just the least - 'j'

Well my real name is bawanna but my birth certificate (even though my momma claims she found me under a rock and sometimes wishes she had put me back) says Joe. So I guess Joe is an alias?

there are too many illegal alias coming across the borders. they are mostly jose tho, not joes.

i remember when i first found jesus.

he was hiding in the trunk of my car on the way back from tijuana.

bawanna - i think josie would fit you better. as in the clint eastwood variety.

I've always thought of Bawanna as more of a Jojo, but maybe that's just me .

When it comes to work I'm of course stuck with MS products, but for my personal stuff I'd always run OpenBSD if security was important. If security wasn't a priority I preferred NetBSD because it was more portable

My momma called me Jose all the time, actually she called me a lot of things now that I ponder it.

Blue, I have no idea what you just said.....OpenBS, Net BS. Yall so far over my head I'd need one of them microscopes you look at the moon with to even see ya.

Pretty good at making ole jose look stooopid ya know?

I do like the Jose Wales analogy, that seems to fit best in my one good eye.

We put all our crap in Microsoft's cloud with office 365 so they basically own our soul at this point. No point in trying to lock Windows down when they already have the keys to the kingdom

We put all our crap in Microsoft's cloud with office 365 so they basically own our soul at this point. No point in trying to lock Windows down when they already have the keys to the kingdom

that's why I stick with edlin. :D

You just wait, Edlin 365 will be fully integrated with One Note and whatnot! I'll stick with vi.

I cant stand the cloud. It scares the hell out of me. I hate not having total control of my information.

It also a nightmare for scan to file SMB type interface. There is no way to authenticate through the cloud. Canon copiers need full read write on the folders for scanning. The cloud doesn't support that type of file scanning. I just set up SSL scan to email for my clients that run the cloud. Oh..Dont get me started on all the damn SMTP severs that are no longer free. Gmail is one of the few you can still use if the person doesn't have exchange or they aren't paying for hosting. The cloud has been a nightmare. Computers are coming set up default that way now. You have to create a local account on new PC's because the default is a Microsoft log in... Not a "C" drive log in... ridiculous.
c

Win10 for free is already charging for Solitaire (10$ per year) and DVD Playback (15$)

And it's just the beginning.

Back