Did you go with Microsoft DOTD - Free Windows 10?

365 does have a free SMTP server, but you have to use authentication to use it. You've got to use a native 365 account to authenticate too, not something you synced with your active directory. I used it for a few scanners but we eventually decided to keep an exchange server on prem (hybrid deployment) so I just use that as an SMTP relay.

SMTP.office365.com

I cant stand the cloud. It scares the hell out of me. I hate not having total control of my information.

I have been spending all my training budget in Cloud Security for the past couples of years.

Vincent Poirier wrote: " (...)Bruce Schneier says the cloud is a free for all.

The state protects our person and our property and provides public goods. Rule of law ensures everyone is equal and it mandates that those who represent or act for the state cannot abuse their power. Procedural accountability ensures that this actually happens when needed.

The cloud is a wild west with hazily defined claims, no clear property rights, and poor governance.

The cloud is powerful and immensely useful but it is also immature, experimental, and lawless. Cloud providers and state agents behave with no self-restraint.

It's not that they are untrustworthy, it's that neither they nor we know what is right and wrong.
(...) "

Interesting reading
http://debates.economist.com/debate/cloud-computing?state=summary

E
I have been spending all my training budget in Cloud Security for the past couples of years.

Vincent Poirier wrote: " (...)Bruce Schneier says the cloud is a free for all.

The state protects our person and our property and provides public goods. Rule of law ensures everyone is equal and it mandates that those who represent or act for the state cannot abuse their power. Procedural accountability ensures that this actually happens when needed.

The cloud is a wild west with hazily defined claims, no clear property rights, and poor governance.

The cloud is powerful and immensely useful but it is also immature, experimental, and lawless. Cloud providers and state agents behave with no self-restraint.

It's not that they are untrustworthy, it's that neither they nor we know what is right and wrong.
(...) "

Interesting reading
http://debates.economist.com/debate/cloud-computing?state=summary

Well said sir.

Well said sir.

Again, not from me but Mr. Poirier who was commenting the debate about the Cloud. His idea leverage books from Francis Fukuyama to explain what political order is, how it arises, and how it decays.
Mr Poirier is suggesting that rules of political order applies to the Cloud.

I humbly think it makes sense.

We put all our crap in Microsoft's cloud with office 365 so they basically own our soul at this point. No point in trying to lock Windows down when they already have the keys to the kingdom

i use libre office, it's free,win10 compat, supports docx, odc and a zillion other doc and spreadsheet formats. and it is supported and cloud-free.

i use libre office, it's free,win10 compat, supports docx, odc and a zillion other doc and spreadsheet formats. and it is supported and cloud-free.

That is very cool. I knew OpenOffice but not LibreOffice - I will look it up.

My computer that has Windows 10 on it only has OpenOffice, Winamp a few Browsers and Netflix on it so far. I got out of the IT game years ago, but I do like to keep up on a few things. Mainly for personal info and to help relatives when they need it.

Got to get a bigger hard drive for the spare computer so I can better play with and learn Windows 10 and other newer programs.

My computer that has Windows 10 on it only has OpenOffice, Winamp a few Browsers and Netflix on it so far. I got out of the IT game years ago, but I do like to keep up on a few things. Mainly for personal info and to help relatives when they need it.

Got to get a bigger hard drive for the spare computer so I can better play with and learn Windows 10 and other newer programs.

I know winamp was kind of resurrected and there is nothing wrong with it - But for music player with a small footprint and load of features - I highly recommend foobar2000

Back