Flipper vs. Non-Flipper

stevekolt

Gold Member
As the title says, which do you prefer, and why do you prefer it? My XM's are the first blades I've had with non-assisted flippers, and the latest collaborations between Hinderer and ZT are downright awesome. I guess my question really boils down to...why/when would a non-flipper be an advantage?

No, AFAIK Hinderer never had an assisted flipper, I was speaking/writing more generally...

Flipper vs. Non boils down to personal preference.

I like flippers. Rapid deployment, plus flipper acts as finger protection once the blade is deployed.
I just got my first non-flipper. It's a 24 and is buttery smooth with a flick of the thumbstud.

Because I EDC flippers, ever time I pick up a folder muscle memory has me seeking the flipper first then going for the stud or hole (whichever applies to the knife in hand).

Well, if you get a good flipper, you don't need the assisted part. As for Hinderer, I like mine flippers, I like to play and handle them, and the flipper makes for easy deployment.

The XM18 is my first and only flipper. I mainly wanted the flipper version because I prefer it`s looks to the non-flipper version.
Now that I actually have it, I also like using the flipper. And finally, I like the idea of the flipper acting as a fingerguard.

Some prefer the looks of a non-flipper. A non-flipper can be easier to pocket carry, the flipper doesn't get in the way (I have daily carried both a 3" flipper and a 3" non-flipper and found I prefer the 3" non-flipper). Also, the flipper can contribute to an accidental deployment.

To each their own, there is a place for each in my opinion and we are fortunate that they are available in either form.

I like non-flippers for the most part. I tighten my pivots a little tighter so they cannot be flicked open so easily.

Flippers all the way baby!! I've edc'd an XM-18 3.5" flipper in my pocket for the past 2.5 years. I don't see another folder ever knocking the XM-18 out of my pocket except when I carry it's daddy - my XM-24 flipper!!

new-pics-765-L.jpg

As the title says, which do you prefer, and why do you prefer it? My XM's are the first blades I've had with non-assisted flippers, and the latest collaborations between Hinderer and ZT are downright awesome. I guess my question really boils down to...why/when would a non-flipper be an advantage?

Steve, in answer to your query (IMO) preference is probably subjective unless the two(2) are looked at dispassionately and from a strictly mechanical perspective.
Mechanically, the flipper provides two(2) clear advantages over the non-flipper. The non-flipper provides no advantage* over the flipper, it is merely an aesthetic.
The advantages the flipper provide are;
- Two(2) methods of deployment, the flipper AND the thumb stud. If one prefers the thumb stud - nothing lost by owning the flipper the opposite can not be said for the non-flipper.
- The finger protection offered by the flipper as a guard. If you need it, it is there - if not so be it ... again, the same can not be said for the non-flipper.
The best analogy I can find is a spur -vs- non-spur revolver. There are preferences and mechanical advantages to both. I carry a spurless mainly because of deployment issues which is ironic because a "spurless" revolver is a faster deploy where the presence of the "spur" on the XM provides the faster deployment.
In closing, I own and carry both XM's and have grown to LOVE my flipper.

* one caveat, for those who prefer a tip down carry of the flipper, there is the possibility of a "snag" during deployment that IMO is not an issue when carrying tip-up.
Offering flippers and non-flippers, Yet another example of the genius of Hinderer designs addressing the preferences of the enlightened:)

Last edited:
I am an absolute flipper nut. I havent had the pleasure of a hinderer but I have a 0560 and have had many other flippers. My personal favorite is a hefty detent, a bearing pivot and a titanium frame lock. If its got those three things its golden. Does hinderer offer a bearing pivot on his knives yet?

Staying on point this is a flipper vs non- flipper thread. As for smoothness - ALL Hinderers are as smooth
As butter, silky smooth in deployment. Owning many knives, many approaches to design NONE smoother than a Hinderer (even among makes noted as being the smoothest) it simply doesn't get any better.

Last edited:
I like flippers but I'm pretty picky about them. I hate when they stick out so far or don't blend well with the knife so that they hang up on things (or my hand when it goes in my pocket). Examples of my idea of a well designed flipper are the Buck Vantage and the Kershaw RAM and Leek. Oh- and I expect them to open the knife without me having to flick my wrist - if Buck can do it on a $30 knife I don't see why it should be a problem.

Abslolutely. Ease and speed of deployment, not having to depend on cams, springs, bearings, etc. trouble free dependable performance - ALL hallmarks of the Hinderer XM design.
Pinnacle of Engineering Bullet-Proof Design.
Good stuff :thumbup:

My preference is for a flipper though I have many knives without them I consider to be outstanding designs. In my case, it's easier to deploy a flipper with cold hands, gloves, or with a non-dominate hand. Advantages of non-flippers? As a whole they might be more compact but I'm reaching a little at that suggestion. I have flippers and non flippers that are smooth as silk and both types that open poorly. I think that is more dependent on the overall design and manufacturing then presence or absence of a flipper.

i couldn't decide between flipper and non-flipper either. i like the function of a flipper but i hate it when it gets caught on things - like the edge of my pocket or something. solution - get both? lol.... i have an xm18 flipper and i have an xm24 non-flipper on the way. we'll see which one i carry more i guess. although they are different size/weights so that may play a factor in which one i carry more as well.

Non-flipper for me. It doesn't catch in my pocket and it won't accidentally deploy if I'm rolling around on the floor with inmates. I call BS on the flipper being a faster deployment! If you have to pull it quickly from your pocket it has the potential to snag whereas the non-flipper doesn't. Hanging up in your pocket does not make for faster deployment. Forget the pocket...if you have your finger on the flipper and I have my thumb on the stud do you really think yours would open faster? Physics would say if the mass is the same and the force applied and distance traveled are the same the speed would be the same...but they are not the same because the levers are different so the force is not the same. I have handled flippers that require a wrist flick and in Hinderers case the weak detent is part but not all of the issue. I can throw the thumbstud to the point of it being too hard where it might damage the knife over time but I can't do that with a flipper unless I wrist flick it as I flip. I can see a flipper being an advantage as a finger guard so I do plan to add one flipper (it was 2 but I realized I would never use the 2nd) but only for cutting ligatures/nooses where I'm either cutting at awkward angles or the subject is flailing. I've carried a pocket knife everyday for almost 38yrs and never cut myself in a way where a finger guard would have prevented it but for my intended use it never hurts to be extra careful.

Non-flipper for me. It doesn't catch in my pocket and it won't accidentally deploy if I'm rolling around on the floor with inmates. I call BS on the flipper being a faster deployment! If you have to pull it quickly from your pocket it has the potential to snag whereas the non-flipper doesn't. Hanging up in your pocket does not make for faster deployment. Forget the pocket...if you have your finger on the flipper and I have my thumb on the stud do you really think yours would open faster? Physics would say if the mass is the same and the force applied and distance traveled are the same the speed would be the same...but they are not the same because the levers are different so the force is not the same. I have handled flippers that require a wrist flick and in Hinderers case the weak detent is part but not all of the issue. I can throw the thumbstud to the point of it being too hard where it might damage the knife over time but I can't do that with a flipper unless I wrist flick it as I flip. I can see a flipper being an advantage as a finger guard so I do plan to add one flipper (it was 2 but I realized I would never use the 2nd) but only for cutting ligatures/nooses where I'm either cutting at awkward angles or the subject is flailing. I've carried a pocket knife everyday for almost 38yrs and never cut myself in a way where a finger guard would have prevented it but for my intended use it never hurts to be extra careful.

What I really got out of this is that you crazy Canadians carry knives around inmates! :eek:

Back