Flipper vs. Non-Flipper

My new XM 18 3" FLIPPA Rocks............

Congrats to those with new XMs. Welcome to the experience.

Anyone who has a stonewashed pocket clip that they do not want...you know what I'm hinting at. Feel free to e-mail me. Thanks.

If carrying without a clip, the 3" non flipper is the low drag option.

When I first got my 3" flipper I felt like maybe it was not necessary for that size XM, as I still needed to flick my wrist to get it to open. But after I got the technique down (preloading by pushing up on the flipper and then pushing in and downwards), the blade rockets right out without any flicking. I love it, can't wait to get my paws on the 3.5" flipper.

That's a nice tip!

Here is my 10c.

An XM without the flipper is like -

Two and a half men without Charlie.
A Ferrari not in red.
Diet Coke.
Caffeine free coffee.
Justin Bieber hosting Punk'd.
Colin Farrell playing "Sonny" Crockett"
Colin Farrell playing Douglas Quaid / Hauser .
Porsche Boxter.
Jessica Fletcher being in town & the murder/crime suspect not being a nephew, niece, cousin, in-law or friend.
Vegemite. (Marmite is king)

Here is my 10c.

An XM without the flipper is like -

Two and a half men without Charlie.
A Ferrari not in red.
Diet Coke.
Caffeine free coffee.
Justin Bieber hosting Punk'd.
Colin Farrell playing "Sonny" Crockett"
Colin Farrell playing Douglas Quaid / Hauser .
Porsche Boxter.
Jessica Fletcher being in town & the murder/crime suspect not being a nephew, niece, cousin, in-law or friend.
Vegemite. (Marmite is king)

I hear you. My 24 non-flipper gets no pocket time, while my flippers ride EDC. But, I had to own a non-flipper and flipper both, to decide what was right for me.

As for Ferraris, the "first" should be red, but silverstone and fly yellow can look stellar (especially in person) and the basic black and white can look great on some models. Saw a 512 TR in white/tan and it was beautiful.

2 1/2 Men revamp is a dud as is Anger Management.

Any soda without caffeine is likely for people with medical conditions, certainly not for me. If your "healthy choice" is diet soda, might look to try water, it's much better in every way, including taste.

Marmite / Vegitmite is an acquired salty taste that I have not acquired.

Boxster has always made me smirk. It is a Porsche, but.....

Boxster has always made me smirk. It is a Porsche, but.....

Should be Volksporsche "the people's porsche." :D

No offense to Boxter lovers, just funnin. :D

The Flipper vs Non Flipper debate boils down to personal preference, as much as I have attempted to find compelling arguments to bolster one over the other ... alas it is still choclate and vanilla.
That said, my non-flippers sit and my flippers ride all over the countryside hoping and praying I say "No Thank You" to the bean salad super size side dish for an additional $.99:D
I handed my Wife both one day and said nothing other than "Whatya think?" She played with both, looked at both, picked each up and put it down several times.... even asked a couple very insightful questions.
After all the consternation she picked up the flipper and said, "I want one of these!":eek:
So much for successful experiments.
Moral of the story, sometimes you have to ask the uninitiated to get the low down ;)

Tagging this thread, because I own flippers, but a non-flipper came up here at a price I couldn't refuse.

I just received my flipper XM-18 3". I sort of regret not getting the non flipper. My hand does not fit comfortably on the handle and if I choke up with my finger on the choil my finger partially extends over the choil and onto the blade.

I hope in time I will get used to the feel of it. I realize flipper or non flipper is a personal choice and even though I may be in the minority I just fear I made the wrong choice.

I had a 3" flipper and a 3" non-flipper. Still own and carry a non-flipper (no need for a flipper in this size and for a smaller knife I want it more concealed)
I had a 3.5" flipper and a 3.5" non-flipper. Still own and carry few flippers (here is where flipper shines)
I only have one xm24 and sure it is a flipper (here where hand protection makes full sense)
All IMHO :)

I had a 3" flipper and a 3" non-flipper. Still own and carry a non-flipper (no need for a flipper in this size and for a smaller knife I want it more concealed)
I had a 3.5" flipper and a 3.5" non-flipper. Still own and carry few flippers (here is where flipper shines)
I only have one xm24 and sure it is a flipper (here where hand protection makes full sense)

I think that totally makes sense. Oh well, I'll try not to flip out over the flipper. Maybe I'll learn to appreciate it in time.
Really wish I would have gotten the non flipper though.

I can see what you mean here about the smaller knife being better in non-flipper. I just bought a 3" flipper on here, and once I get it I may regret not holding out for a non-flipper. OTOH, I'm not real fond of my 3.5" non-flipper that I just got. That size knife, and my 24, is much better as a flipper. I'm seriously considering offering my non-flipper 3.5 in trade for a 3" non-flipper. Someone with bigger hands than me would do well with that trade.

A question to all that own both the flipper and non flipper in 3".

When the blade is in the open position do you find that the back of your index finger is pressed against the back part of the flipper? On the non flipper is your hand able to hold the handle a little further up when compared to the flipper? If you're able to grasp the handle the same way for either flipper or non flipper then maybe I just need to get used to the flipper part pressing against my finger. If the non flipper allows the hand to grasp the handle further up towards the choil then I think I need to acquire a non flipper.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

A question to all that own both the flipper and non flipper in 3".

When the blade is in the open position do you find that the back of your index finger is pressed against the back part of the flipper? On the non flipper is your hand able to hold the handle a little further up when compared to the flipper? If you're able to grasp the handle the same way for either flipper or non flipper then maybe I just need to get used to the flipper part pressing against my finger. If the non flipper allows the hand to grasp the handle further up towards the choil then I think I need to acquire a non flipper.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Yes, and this is exactly what I did not like about a flipper in 3". I hold a non-flipper 3" way more comfortable than a flipper. 3.5" is completely different story though. Only .5" but what a difference at least for me.

Good news is that you should be able to trade a flipper for a non-flipper relatively easily or just sell and buy.

Back