Flipper vs. Non-Flipper

I was on the fence between a flipper and non-flipper since I was getting the 3". I went with the flipper and absolutely no regrets at all. I can open just fine with the thumb stud but when I feel like using the flipper it's nice to have that option.

As a Great and Wise Philosopher once said, " Have Flippa use ......maybe. No Flippa use......nevva".

ALL Flippers come with Thumb Studs:)

Well I have had my 3" flipper for 24 hours now, and carried and used it all day, and everytime my hand went into my pocket I brushed against the flipper, and the jimping on there made it kinda uncomfortable. It`s only a small voice in the back of my head that says "shoudlve gone with a non flipper". Perhaps thats me tho. I never had a flipper knife, so its all new and unfamiliar. Leaving the flipper off the knife would definatly make it more pocket friendly, especially in the 3" size for my large, bordering to extra large hands, but then again I like the added safety of the flipper. I guess time will tell. I`m not going to sell it or trade it for another non flipper. This is MY Hinderer, and I`ll use it until its just a toothpick (like that will happen in my lifetime. :p).

26072012092.jpg

Any new EDC has an adjustment period after which all else is revealed.
Go tip up.

Mine is tip up, the fliper is pointing to the left in my pocket.

I`ll carry it for another couple of weeks and decide then if I made the right choice by going flipper in a smaller knife like this. This was just my initial observation. :)

edit: I`ll try tip down carry tomorrow. And I also must sayI like the ergos of the knife without a clip much better. I come from a slipjoint backround, so I prefer to carry knives in my pocket rather than to have them clipped. Now I need to find someone that makes a nice slim unobtrusive pocket sheath, so it stays horizontal.

Last edited:
i roll tip up, i have all the sizes of xm i like the 3" and 3.5" in flippers and the 4" in not. ill say i enjoy the flipper but in all honesty i probably deploy it mostly with thumb stud, this is because none of mine flip fully open without my wrist.

You either like flippers or you don't, just like you prefer tip-up or tip-down. It doesn't really matter & it's good that you have that choice with Hinderers. In reference to Art_Vandeley's comment about his 3" flipper, I think the bigger your hands (XXL gloves are tight on my hands), the more you'll probably prefer a non-fliper on the 3" model. The flipper tends to push your finger back, not allowing you to use quite as much of the handle as you would if it's not there. Needless to say, my 3" XM-18 is a non-flipper for that reason.

As far the blade opening easily/quickly, I think they both work very well.

You either like flippers or you don't, just like you prefer tip-up or tip-down. It doesn't really matter & it's good that you have that choice with Hinderers. In reference to Art_Vandeley's comment about his 3" flipper, I think the bigger your hands (XXL gloves are tight on my hands), the more you'll probably prefer a non-fliper on the 3" model. The flipper tends to push your finger back, not allowing you to use quite as much of the handle as you would if it's not there. Needless to say, my 3" XM-18 is a non-flipper for that reason.

As far the blade opening easily/quickly, I think they both work very well.

On the little guy (3") I find the choil (on the blade) very useful on the flipper version for a lot of cutting tasks, especially if you have large hands.
If ones fingers are chubby, use caution as to not place part of your finger on the blade.

I was also on the fence but I got my 3in non-flipper from Rick yesterday and it's perfect. I have the Cryo and the Kershaw Skyline and I like them both. I just like the overall look of the nonflippers. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Last edited:
When I first got my 3" flipper I felt like maybe it was not necessary for that size XM, as I still needed to flick my wrist to get it to open. But after I got the technique down (preloading by pushing up on the flipper and then pushing in and downwards), the blade rockets right out without any flicking. I love it, can't wait to get my paws on the 3.5" flipper.

Well, I have two 3.5" XM-18's, both flippers, one spanto and one slicer. If I were to get a 3" XM, it would be sitting loose in my pocket, not using the clip. Could the flipper in this situation deploy the blade in my pocket? Does anybody carry a flipper in this manner?

Well, I have two 3.5" XM-18's, both flippers, one spanto and one slicer. If I were to get a 3" XM, it would be sitting loose in my pocket, not using the clip. Could the flipper in this situation deploy the blade in my pocket? Does anybody carry a flipper in this manner?

Not yet, but I will try that out. TBH the pocket clip is the only negative thing I can find on my knife, but thats for another topic. I find the knife much more comfortable without a clip. I also think I should`ve gotten a non flipper. The jimping on the flipper scrapes against my finger when using the knife for cutting up boxes and the likes. I definately wouldve prefered a slimmer non flipper.

Can anyone suggest a leather sheath for a 3"? I want to carry it in the pocket without a clip, tip down.

I carry a xm-18 3 inch flipper in my pocket was having a little trouble with it comming open once in awaile so I just tighten the pivot solved the problem

Back