I am a pain to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The feedback I'm receiving is that using a question mark in the rhetorical thread title is a large problem for people, since they are confused why I am asking a question and then discussing some of the answers.

In one of your recent threads, you had a question in the title and then 3 following posts that were not really about the title. They may have been but in a round about way.

It took five pages and another user to explain what you were getting at. http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1381820-What-s-the-strongest-a-fixed-blade-can-be-without-weighing-too-much?p=15927310#post15927310

I know that you had posting problems in that thread and it can make getting your point across not so easy.

My suggestion would be speak more succinctly. Have a thread title then explain your position on the title in your opening post. Use more posts after to explain in more detail if needed or to converse with others about the topic.
Starting with a rhetorical question and then answering it yourself is not a great way to start a conversation.

Last edited:
I've refrained from interacting with you since the 1095 thread.

But my experience with you can be summed up quite simply:

5050268.jpg

I might have been wrong in that thread. Very possible. But you and one of your buddies decided that personal attacks were needed, edited quotes and looking up information on me elsewhere on the internet in order to make me drop the conversation.

I might have been wrong (I often am. This is a fact of life that one can't be right all the time)....but at least I left that discussion knowing I didn't try to win it by annoying and insulting and attacking the other party.

You said you wanted feedback well there it is.

I'm sure you're a right clever B####rd who's got it all figured out. But your methods so far have been terrible in trying to get people to listen to you.

More flies are caught with honey than with vinegar.

Last edited:
I think you Craytab and Marcinek can have your own forum and argue all day long and Craytab can be the Mod since he already runs the gbu.. Luckily most of the b\s is kept in w\c so the rest of us can function on this site.
But where else can grown men argue all day.

I'm aware of the information in the stickies. They are cautionary notes. If someone is stupid enough to post/link/quote to something in W&C that isn't appropriate elsewhere, they will be dinged for it. I'm not seeing it here.

Fair enough. I was under the impression that, due to the nature of posts from W&C and the Cove, they were not to be quoted in the "open" forum. But, clearly, I was mistaken. Thank you for clarifying.

Since that is the case it only seems fair to include the unedited, full version of my post that was quoted, in context, for the folks that did not read the W&C thread it came from...

Stabman had noted:

Now RX-79G is calling other people jerks:

and I replied

Now?!? He's been doing that from the start. Saying people are stupid, are listening to voices in their head, etc etc.

It's the ONLY reason I have poked at him....I couldn't give a **** about his made up "factual" arguments....it's that he's been acting like a **** .

It's the only reason I hassle anybody, really.

(Language that I wouldn't use in the "open" forum deleted my me)

Which brings me to my point. In addition to what Mecha so efficiently pointed out earlier in this thread,

Hi RX-74G,

I haven't seen too much of your stuff on this site, but as a fellow fan of huge robots, I'll tell you what I think. The "lively debates" you're generating seem to follow the same script:

Your Q: Why do people like cats?

The A: I like cats for X reasons.

You then proceed to break down or "prove" why all of the answers are wrong, and force the folks who spoke into a position of defending their casual opinion or experiences. In the example above, one comes to the conclusion that you don't really want to know why people like cats, but rather just want to tell a bunch of cat people that they're wrong for doing so. It's not illuminating or interesting, it's irritating. Entering the conversation doesn't feel like a spirited debate, but more like an interrogation.

Good luck sir.

the OP, when his own opinions are questioned invariably does one of two things (or both):

1) asserts that the questioning could only be due to the member's lack of "reading comprehension"; or
2) claims that the questioning is personal insults, and all part of some vast moderator-led conspiracy to give certain members special treatment.

Clearly the OP has been down this road before...

I understand my portion of the problem. I took 10 months off, in part to give myself a mental break, and in part because you had said that "We are making efforts to improve the experience people have here. The overall tone, if you will. It will be a slow and arduous road with many disagreements, warnings, infractions, and possibly bannings. But it takes time, some might not like the changes, others may love them." When I returned, and I posted 9 gear/knife threads, and 6 wear just fine - of all the 34 knife/gear threads I've even posted, 25 involved zero real bickering.....

So I am able to have create and "host" a nice thread, and the recent Fixed Blade Handle thread devolved without me even being able to post into it. Some of what is happening has little to do with me.

Continued due to server error: ...

Given what has been said to me in the open and in private, I do not agree that this is an RX-79G problem, but one involving multiple people who will violate the golden rule, know they are doing it, and feel no compulsion to change. This was true a year ago when I left, and nothing changed when I returned. I can post, or just have a thread started, and a few people will now MAKE it ugly.

I don't know what to do with that.

So, possibly, before he needs another "mental break" the OP might consider that the issue does not lie with "the forum" and that something like a blog might better suit his temperament.

Last edited:
I so far have made one comment in the spyder hole thread post #128 other than that I haven't interacted with you. Having stated that I'm a semi neutral party, the reason you get "picked on" is you start a thread with a normal discussion opinion such as "Are red apples better than green ones?" and then five posts in when not everyone is agreeing with you, you kind of flip out over it. After that you state that it is a known fact red apples are better, then after stating an opinion as fact you ask other people to disprove it. That's just not how it works, in the scientific community if you put forward something as fact you needed to support your position. Provide studies, reports, testing, and other credible sources that support your position. The burden of proof lies on you as you are the one making claims such as Spyderco opening holes are inferior to thumb studs. While this may be factually correct from a physics and ergonomic standpoint if you don't provide supporting data you're just the guy on the street corner with another unvalidated opinion.

If I post a fact, and you mistake it for an opinion, I can see why you would feel that way.
I don't think my opinion will get very far though as this quote proves. This thread is just another spin on your merry go round of senselessness, you ask for an explanation and then when one is provided it is wrong because it doesn't match your preconceived notion.

I've refrained from interacting with you since the 1095 thread.

But my experience with you can be summed up quite simply:

5050268.jpg

I might have been wrong in that thread. Very possible. But you and one of your buddies decided that personal attacks were needed, edited quotes and looking up information on me elsewhere on the internet in order to make me drop the conversation.

I might have been wrong (I often am. This is a fact of life that one can't be right all the time)....but at least I left that discussion knowing I didn't try to win it by annoying and insulting and attacking the other party.

You said you wanted feedback well there it is.

I'm sure you're a right clever B####rd who's got it all figured out. But your methods so far have been terrible in trying to get people to listen to you.

More flies are caught with honey than with vinegar.

The first thing you ever wrote to me was "This is massively false." And a post later "You keep arguing about how adding elements makes the steel better. But it DOESN'T. It just makes it different."
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...-do-people-like-1095-for-pricier-knives/page3

You should go back and review that interaction. It is pretty clear that my posts about steel offended you from the get go, you came in with strong language which I responded to without emotion for 4 more posts. Then you started to make less sense, making strange comparisons to O1 and posting pictures of custom knives.

Honestly, I am not always the most patient person, but your posts started disrespectful and went south from there. You finally got really insulted because I posted a funny picture of a toy knife and said "You obviously don't understand the material science side of it." And honestly, you did not. Apparently you think me saying that is insulting while your opening salvo was highly fraternal. I don't get that.

No one is saying that I am Mr. Polite. But do you really want to make it sound like you were being politely conversational? Especially considering that I wasn't posting something "massively false"?

That's what gets me with a lot of these interactions. Some people seem to read my posts and not have any emotional reaction at all, even if they disagree about something. Other people read "1095 is fairly brittle" and get so upset that I would post such a "Massively false" opinion (even when it isn't opinion). I'm not saying I'm always right or that I'm always working hard to make anyone love me, but I don't know what to say when someone gets very aggressive with me and then complains later that I wasn't nice enough. This seems to characterize more than a few of these interactions.

I will not compare myself to Cliff Stamp in any way other than to point out that there is a large group of people that simply hate him for presenting information. And then there's a lot of people that just like the fact that he would do his tests and post all that information for everyone. I don't know what to make of that sort of love-hate.

Actually, I'm not claiming that I was Mr cool in that interaction.

However, the switching pictures happened multiple times after which you decided to grab some info elsewhere from the internet and proceeded to attack me and the knives I make based on that.

After that you and your buddy decided that I was a stalker and started namecalling.

Then when I called you both out on it you proceeded to tell me that I should grow thicker skin.

I stand by my earlier statement.

You might not have been wrong.

But you were an a######

And the fact that you're now justifying that simply by the fact that I was wrong and or emotional in my response in no way justifies that.

I so far have made one comment in the spyder hole thread post #128 other than that I haven't interacted with you. Having stated that I'm a semi neutral party, the reason you get "picked on" is you start a thread with a normal discussion opinion such as "Are red apples better than green ones?" and then five posts in when not everyone is agreeing with you, you kind of flip out over it. After that you state that it is a known fact red apples are better, then after stating an opinion as fact you ask other people to disprove it. That's just not how it works, in the scientific community if you put forward something as fact you needed to support your position. Provide studies, reports, testing, and other credible sources that support your position. The burden of proof lies on you as you are the one making claims such as Spyderco opening holes are inferior to thumb studs. While this may be factually correct from a physics and ergonomic standpoint if you don't provide supporting data you're just the guy on the street corner with another unvalidated opinion.

I don't think my opinion will get very far though as this quote proves. This thread is just another spin on your merry go round of senselessness, you ask for an explanation and then when one is provided it is wrong because it doesn't match your preconceived notion.

I just reread all of the Spyderhole thread, looking for where I "flip out". Where does that happen, and what is it that I "insist" is so inflammatory? What happened that made the last page of insults at myself and other posters make any sense at all?

Actually, I'm not claiming that I was Mr cool in that interaction.

However, the switching pictures happened multiple times after which you decided to grab some info elsewhere from the internet and proceeded to attack me and the knives I make based on that.

After that you and your buddy decided that I was a stalker and started namecalling.

Then when I called you both out on it you proceeded to tell me that I should grow thicker skin.

I stand by my earlier statement.

You might not have been wrong.

But you were an a######

And the fact that you're now justifying that simply by the fact that I was wrong and or emotional in my response in no way justifies that.

I "switched" one picture - the funny toy one - on post #128.

I do not know Alfred, he isn't a friend and I had never heard of him before that day. I didn't even interact with him. The fact that he agreed with me and disagreed with you has nothing to do with you and I.

Honestly, it sounds like Alfred's insulting posts are what rattled you, and you are blaming me for them. I didn't call you any names, and only inserted one funny picture. I'm pretty sure you're upset at the wrong guy, or upset for the wrong reasons.

Just because the thread has been cleaned up doesn't mean things never happened.

I distinctly remember the exact pictures you used as well as attacks based on what you pulled from my website, and on the fact that I sometimes make file knives.

It didn't matter. Clearly you don't really want feedback because all you seem to be able to do with it is try to prove that the people giving it are wrong.

I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your stay on the forums. For however long it'll last.

Just because the thread has been cleaned up doesn't mean things never happened.

I distinctly remember the exact pictures you used as well as attacks based on what you pulled from my website, and on the fact that I sometimes make file knives.

It didn't matter. Clearly you don't really want feedback because all you seem to be able to do with it is try to prove that the people giving it are wrong.

I'm done with this thread. Enjoy your stay on the forums. For however long it'll last.

I can only assure you that those were not my posts. As far as I can tell, none of what I posted was deleted - the references to your website and file knives are still there. I'll take whatever feedback, but it needs to actually be true.

If you are thinking of the forceps picture, I did not insert that in a quote, and it is still there.

I think these statements might best represent the problem:
And by attacking a steel, you attack all those who use the steel as a basis.
And this thread was pretty stupid to begin with.

Last edited:
I just reread all of the Spyderhole thread, looking for where I "flip out". Where does that happen, and what is it that I "insist" is so inflammatory? What happened that made the last page of insults at myself and other posters make any sense at all?

I never stated you flipped out in the Spyderco thread if you paid attention. Once again you completely miss the point because you're too busy showing everyone how right you are. Why don't you take this attitude to another internet forum and see how well it goes over for you?

Last edited:
Once again you completely miss the point because you're too busy showing everyone how right you are. Why don't you take this attitude to another internet forum and see how well it goes over for you?

I am honestly not defending myself. I have gotten wrapped around the axle in the past, knew it, and took a break because of it. You made reference to a thread where you said I was behaving badly, so I reviewed that thread.

I am not going to "win" any argument about how charming I am. I want to turn your honest feedback into something useful, so I looked for the things you're talking about in the thread you mention. My posts are pretty polite throughout, and I don't even respond until post #40. Then there was some polite, off topic discussions about what a choil is on page #2, and then page #3 are two posts where I reiterate it is my opinion based on my experience, and some stuff about opening energy. Page #4 is also pretty boring, some minor back and forth about physics, what knives I own and another reminder that this is personal preference.

Page 5 on is where things get weird, and are strange arguments about whose opinion has numeric superiority.

Where did I "lose it"? What did I post that was inflammatory in the first 160 posts (or the last bunch)?

And if the Spyderhole thread is not a good example of the problem, why are so many people referring to it as exemplifying why I am such a problem on the forum? What happened to get the thread closed, and who's posts are responsible?

I am honestly not defending myself. I have gotten wrapped around the axle in the past, knew it, and took a break because of it. You made reference to a thread where you said I was behaving badly, so I reviewed that thread.

I am not going to "win" any argument about how charming I am. I want to turn your honest feedback into something useful, so I looked for the things you're talking about in the thread you mention. My posts are pretty polite throughout, and I don't even respond until post #40. Then there was some polite, off topic discussions about what a choil is on page #2, and then page #3 are two posts where I reiterate it is my opinion based on my experience, and some stuff about opening energy. Page #4 is also pretty boring, some minor back and forth about physics, what knives I own and another reminder that this is personal preference.

Page 5 on is where things get weird, and are strange arguments about whose opinion has numeric superiority.

Where did I "lose it"? What did I post that was inflammatory in the first 160 posts (or the last bunch)?

You are either being intentionally dense or just really don't get it. The only reason I mentioned that thread was because that is the only interaction I have had with you that I am aware of. I never said you lost it in that thread, there are plenty of other threads where you did that. What I am saying is you start a thread with a question and then act like that question is a statment of truth. A more appropriate title for your 1095 thread would have been "I think 1095 steel is inferior for production knives". You appear to be wrapping yourself around the proverbial axle again.

You are either being intentionally dense or just really don't get it. The only reason I mentioned that thread was because that is the only interaction I have had with you that I am aware of. I never said you lost it in that thread, there are plenty of other threads where you did that. What I am saying is you start a thread with a question and then act like that question is a statment of truth. A more appropriate title for your 1095 thread would have been "I think 1095 steel is inferior for production knives". You appear to be wrapping yourself around the proverbial axle again.

Okay. I will be more careful about the use of question marks in thread titles, because that keeps coming up as a large reason that people get annoyed when I answer my own (rhetorical) question. Thank you.

But I don't think 1095 is inferior for all production knives.

I still think the Spyderhole thread serves as an interesting example of how I can do almost nothing and get blamed for it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back