Italian Khukri- Made in Texas!

Thanks friends! Bout time to start collecting some pizza ingredients. I still got a bit of touch up on the blade and such but almost done.

pizza is one of the required food groups. and pizza bones (the crusts left by humans) are especially needed by canines as part of their balanced diet.
the nutritional value can be boosted by the addition of bacon. if you are muslim or hebrew, you must of course use kosher and/or halal versions.

pizza is one of the required food groups. and pizza bones (the crusts left by humans) are especially needed by canines as part of their balanced diet.
the nutritional value can be boosted by the addition of bacon. if you are muslim or hebrew, you must of course use kosher and/or halal versions.
Ha! Thats funny Kronck. Must be universal with dogs? Thats exactly what my dogs know them as "Pizza Bones":D Since I eat the crust too they have to wait for the last piece or so. Everything is a bone, cookie, chewie, or smokie! Smokies are chicken hearts.

poppy is on the hard stuff.

mini cocktail sausages with bacon.
birdy feet (dried chicken feet)
denta-sticks (aka - chewie)
compressed hide sticks (chewies)
bully sticks (also a chewie) (made from sections of dried bulls penis (they stink - dogs go crazy for them tho.)
a chunk of deer antler (everlasting chewie)
marrow bone dog biscuits (cookies)
the aforementioned pizza bones.
the bed headboard (turned wood posts) (aka stoppitgoddammit)
cat poo (aka droppitgoddammit)
or the generic whottheheckryachewinonnow-droppitgoddammits

View attachment 513513

poppy currently occupies herself, when she's not eating, sleeping, chasing animals in the garden (more chewies), or running around like a madwoman with a tennis ball,
by ensuring everything in my home has a nice liberal coating of dog hair.i have vacuumed up at least to dogs worth over the last few months. i'm thinking of collecting it and gettting one of the old ladies to spin it and knit me a ski sweater.

i broke a molar over the weekend (failed huge filling), so i went to the dentist this morning. as i brushed my teeth, i found a dog hair in my mouth stuck between two teeth. luckily the dentist didn't find any more, or at least didn't ask where the long strawberry blonde hair came from...

Last edited:
Scarry Kronck! Looks just like my dog. At least I dont have to floss the deer meat from his teeth. Dogs used to have teeth like that ya know and opposing thumbs so they could floss. Thats where they get them remnant dew claws from. They could eat pizza from the tip too! My Jack Russell's name is "shutupgoddamnit" and My Dogos name it "Whatthehellisthatgoddamnit" followed by wonder who's that was.

LOL, Thoroughly enjoy this thread. The dog pictures just make the whole thing flow properly. On the other hand that Italian Khuk sure is gorgeous. And I love the hammered copper/brass keepers incredible gorgeous work and the wood just pops.

I've had two pit bulls (not at the same time). One of them loved raw carrots and would run and jump endless to get one. I would play keep-away with a raw carrot in my hand, but it didn't last long because she was faster than me and more tireless. Never did bite my hand, either, just the carrot.

Both pit bulls loved corn cobs. I would eat the corn and toss them the cobs, which they would crunch up like cookies. For a lesson in humility, try biting down (slowly) on a corn cob until your jaw muscles fail. There's just enough resilience so it doesn't hurt your teeth, but the corn cob will win. Then watch your dog make short work of the same corn cob. Makes you realize that if we humans didn't have big brains and opposable thumbs, we'd be much lower on the food chain.

I've had two pit bulls (not at the same time). One of them loved raw carrots and would run and jump endless to get one. I would play keep-away with a raw carrot in my hand, but it didn't last long because she was faster than me and more tireless. Never did bite my hand, either, just the carrot.

Both pit bulls loved corn cobs. I would eat the corn and toss them the cobs, which they would crunch up like cookies. For a lesson in humility, try biting down (slowly) on a corn cob until your jaw muscles fail. There's just enough resilience so it doesn't hurt your teeth, but the corn cob will win. Then watch your dog make short work of the same corn cob. Makes you realize that if we humans didn't have big brains and opposable thumbs, we'd be much lower on the food chain.

My wife and I grow sweet corn in our garden most years. One year we encountered a problem - someone or something was knocking down the full grown corn stalks and tearing off the mature ears of corn. We found squirrels dragging them through the yard but the squirrels weren't big enough to knock over the cornstalks. We figured it was a big raccoon.

One day I was outside working on the yard and I saw our dog walk over to the corn patch and look around to see if anyone was watching. I was directly behind her and a ways away so she didn't see me. She put her shoulder to a cornstalk, knocked it flat, and then proceeded to tear off a ripe ear of corn and lay down to chew off the sweet corn kernels. Our alleged carnivore dog whose only job to keep the critters away from the garden was doing more damage than all the deer and squirrels combined, just so she could eat some vegetables.

- Bill D.

After a week soak in the mineral oil this is what she looks like. It did seem to darken a bit. Not showing the blade yet because im practicing some engraving. Im having to make my engraving tools so ya have to bear with me. I also tried to engrave and then fill it in with brass and sand it down so pizza guts wont get stuck inside the engravings. As soon as I get comfortable with what im doing ill put the blade on and be done with this thang! Until then Pizzas in the oven and im going to have to cut it with something else. Maybe my new Manjushree:D

e7fe07ca7bcbf2c43c31e414e3b4612d

Yep, that sure looks like you will be cutting pizza dozens at a time and not getting tired. And filled engraving now too. Wow, it is going to be the king of Pizza Kutters. Can't wait to see the end results of THAT little experiment too.

OK Done with my engraving tools. I forgot to put the squiggly one in the pic. Oh well. Im figuring these should cover all the lines and bends etc. If I screw this up then looks like this blade will have some fullers:D Wish me luck my friends:thumbup: Here goes nuthin!

03ee83a104ac99f3584a7d019bd8b87e

Still decoding your spine Bookie. So far ?morab? ba? ??yyapha?av? Aint even close am I?

Well for what its worth there is the engraving. I can at least say Ive tried it:D

0ddb24fb3cd95ed5c9a6900eea6f7f49

26b0d911e751ba6f45ccf7d47d0b127a

Filled it in with brass. Barely got enough heat on it to get it to flow. Im at the point I cant do much anymore without a propper torch and forge. Im working on that now. Thats another project.

a2fb2896d6bfe2a5bed239ef5e7eb892

Removing all the extra brass was a pain. While brazing I dropped the red hot disc on the concrete and bent and dented it up. I think I got it mostly straight now. Few dings but what the heck? dings are ok here. You can barely see the engravings now. Im trying to find a way to differentially tarnish it a bit to get it to show up. Vinegar..nope..sodium metabiosulphite...nope...ammonia? Any ideas?

Someone is obviously a skilled craftsman, but we still don't know how good his cooking skills are. I mean, should we just take a chance and drop by for a pizza, by faith alone?

Thanks phillll. I tried soaking in vinegar for a day and overnight but did very little. Ill try to add the salt and heat it. That might work. I don't want to patina it much but just enough for the engravings to show. Once I got the Devanagari drawn out it only took about an hour maybe to do all of it. Took longer to make the tools. When I was practicing i noticed it looked better if I didn't pay much attention to what i was doing and just did it to the end. When I stopped to check on things i noticed id get off track and it was evident. In other words get started and git er done. I also heated a piece of scrap and it just turned reddish blue. I cant heat the handle so whatever I do on the blade i must be able to do on the handle to match.

Moonw: You know there's gotta be a pizza in my last photo session:D

Kamidog. Good to see you get out and experiment. Keep it up, you'll get there. If you are going to tarnish brass quickly, use egg yolk. It's a "standard" practice for newer builders of muzzle loaders. If you want to make an engraving tool, use an old 3 square file. I can show you how to grind the tip on it. Then all you need is a 1/2 pound ball peen. Then you can try your hand at something like this.

Last edited:
Holy moly! Its on. Tell me! Square file eh? I'll have to try the egg trick. Do you just mash up a bunch of egg yolks and rub it on? Im using a small ball pein I think its 12 oz. Might be a bit heavy for what your doing? Thats beautiful intricate work man!

Back