Italian Khukri- Made in Texas!

That is calling for an Family size pizza party to slice and dice! Lovely. As far as the copper and food, I have no idea, but perhaps if you keep it well coated with mineral oil? a unique heirloom piece and showing off your skills very well indeed.

copper is antimicrobial, almost certain copper is very good for a food utensil-- but if you have fish, traces of copper can kill them, any fish. copper is really one of the most awesome materials for anything, love the cutter dog

verdigris. the 'green' stuff is poisonous. as noted copper oxides and marine animal life do not get along well, wooden ships used to clad their bottoms in copper sheeting to inhibit marine boring worms & it's still used in marine antifouling paints.

copper cooking vessels have been used for cooking since the beginning of the bronze age. it's rapid heat transfer ensures even temperature thru-out the base and it again is still used in many top-end pan bottoms under a layer or sandwich of protective stainless. old pots and pans were lined with tin, as pure copper is OK for egg based cooking, but any acidic food will find you in the same boat as the marine life as it'll leach out copper into you. use vinegar or a half lemon dipped in salt to get off any verdigris.

View attachment 521889

awesome info as always kronk- -I always assumed was safe because of copper cooking vessels, did not realize the verdigris was the poisonous part

Thanks guys! I believe yall are right about the patina green stuff. I never planned for it to get tarnished to the point of green. I suppose it could be a health concern anyway. Definitely appreciate yalls input. Maybe I can plate it? Ill just keep it clean and shiny for now till I figure out what to do. Not ready to be a dead barnacle just yet.
Karda thats a great idea. Brass would show up better on steel anyway. We already know that from many swords of shiva. I really thought it would contrast better in the copper than it did but when HIghly polished you cant even see the inlays. I may make a steel one just like this one and see how it goes. Maybe put some Dayak copper plugs in it eh Gehazi?
tdkfm: My wife says we dont deliver! You have to come pick it up eat it here and stay a while. Oh...and bring a few Khuks with ya:D

actually I think you could get some silver or brass sheet and then shape it around, and maybe solder with silver as well?> never tried anything like that but I am aware of things vaguely that sound like what I just described-- silver I know is good for eatin!-- also to be really animistic pre colonial dayak I think you need to go hunt a stranger's child and then put their head in your pizza field :D

also beautiful picture kronk, man, oh man that is something special

how about an inserted HC steel edge (old saw blade?)? reduce the copper disk radius a bit & solder a sharp steel ring (shakram) to make up the difference. the shakram would be consistent with the indian look. damascus looks nice:

p.s. - i have a strange desire to go outside and play frisbee with the dog. (a plastic one of course,
no dogs will ever be harmed her if i can help it.)

Now that is an awesome idea Kronck! Hmmmm? Ill have to look around the junkpile and see what I can come up with? That shakram is gorgeous:thumbup:

I also need a way to hang it. I officially handed it over to my wife last last night so i might have to take it back for mods. I need a lanyard hole in it anyway.

That shakram might make a good dog collar Kronck. Keeps the other dogs off the neck. I might put one on my new dog for a while till he gets integrated into the pack. They were playing this morning so I let him off the leash since he was preoccupied and they seem to have taken to running laps around my dome. There getting a berm built up in some spots already. Got me a dog track now:D I should see what their lap times are? Your dogs would have a heck of a time here. Might bring back some bad memories tho? They are all getting along fine except the Russell. Hes still got his upper lip stuck up over his head.

Mornin my friends! One more post! After all the trials and error trying to find a chemical or substance to try to differentially age the copper against the brass I gave up and decided to let it age naturally. Well I found a solution (quite by accident i might add) that is cheap comes in three different flavors and is never in short supply and I never have to go far to get it. Its packaged three different ways for your convenience and last better than 15 years before it goes bad. Check this out.

33e5aaa7db43c22bb93897f06904314b

Anyone venture to guess? OK youll never figure it out so Ill tell ya!
Dog slobber! Yep. Dog slobber!
Works great! Two days later. Makes sense because dog slobber is much more acidic than ours. I discovered this because my dog roots around the table top trying to find things to chew up and he brushed his slobbery lips across my pizza cutter and I noticed the spot was perfectly how I wanted it. I borrowed some slobber with a cotton ball and wiped the whole thing down and voila. I guess I better neutralize it with some soda before the whole thing dissentigrates:D

I guess i better tell my wife to wash it before we have pizza eh? You know how i polish my steak knives?

Looks good. Try urine to rust your next muzzle loader barrel, Kamidog. Works well.

Ok, that's it, I'm getting a AR whatever they are with that powder what don't smoke no more.

Dog slobber and urine, only so much a derelict can stand ya know?

Looks good. Try urine to rust your next muzzle loader barrel, Kamidog. Works well.
Thats something i didnt try yet? Might work? Eat some pizza, spaghetti and other acid foods...should work. Pizza party next week my friends:D
Ok, that's it, I'm getting a AR whatever they are with that powder what don't smoke no more.
Dog slobber and urine, only so much a derelict can stand ya know?
That smokeless stuff is only smokeless when used as directed.
True story...hold my beer bro! One time I had a giant fire ant bed next to the sidewalk that wouldnt go away with conventional chemicals so I had a bright idea that i would pour some black smokeless powder on it and fire it off to rid of them pesky aintz. Didnt have gas like most people would do. Ha! I poured about half a cup on top and got distracted, phone rang or something...I dont remember but when I came back to check on the pile the powder was gone? WTH? I poured some more and about an hour later it was gone too? Well the only thing I could figure was they had hauled all the powder down into the ground. Prolly packing it around the queen or something? Maybe she had a muzzle loader for disgruntled brood? What the heck..they hauled at least a cup of black powder down under the sidewalk and throughout the mound. OK this sounds like a plan:D Throughout the course of several hours and about a pound of black powder it was time:D I saved just enough so I could make a fuse and light them off so I got a long piece of toilet paper and rolled up a tidbit of powder and made a fuse about three or four feet long. Enough so I could dive behind the front door to the house once I lit it off! Ha! I lit it off and it flashed in a second or two. I didnt make it to the door and a blast of fire ants dirt and gravel dusted me from the backside. No major shrapnel but it made a big residential mushroom cloud of smoke and blew out a pretty good chunk of earth from under the sidewalk. Heck that was fun till the neighbor policeman came over to ask me what the heck I was doing? Fortunately he was understanding and hated fire ants too and didn't make an issue of it. So if you ever want to rid of fire ants and have an extra pound or so of black smokeless powder then your in luck! Try it yourself! Im not making this up!

it's the little details that prove the story, ndoghouse.

laying a trail of black powder always burns slowly in the movies, giving them plenty of time to get away. not so in real life, as we both have found.

when i was about to leave alabama for the sandpit (saudi) i had a few cans of FFF i had to get rid of. rather than toss them or flush them i had the bright idea of making a pile out behind my MIL's house while the wimmen were out shopping one weekend. laid a nice trail of black powder just like the movies. lit it and it burnt & set off the main pile before i could move. while spectacular, i was more concerned about the second degree & third degree burns to my hand and first degree burns to my face. luckily i healed, tho i had severe pain for days & the burnt areas on my hand were lighter than the rest of my skin for a few years. only took a couple weeks for the dead skin to slough off and a month or so of physical therapy to keep the new skin from tightening up. lost a bit of hair too.

wiley.jpg

never did THAT again.

Oh Crap! Love the pic! Thats about what it looked like:D Glad you healed up after some time. Takes forever to heal burns. One should never waste black powder tho! Only thing that saved my arse from burning was the parts of the fuse that were missing or light on powder? Must have shifted around some inside the fuse but it was like you say...PooooF!!! burn...pooF...burn...WhoooooooSHHH!!!

Back