Just got my first hinderer!

All i have to say about this knife so far is WOW. The fit and finish is better then i expected. Action is as smooth as butter. Lockup up is solid as a rock. Blades dead center. Love the ergos fits my hand perfectly. The overall quality of this knife is the best ive ever seen. Now i needa find another! i know its nothing you guys havnt seen already but heres a few pics anyways.

Congrats! Nice knife you got there :) Now the next question, even before conspiring to get your next Hinderer, is, are you gonna leave the black scale on, or change it out for another color? (The colored Ti hardware can be hard to obtain, and the Ti scales are near impossible, but most colors of G10 scales can be readily found either on Hinderer's website, or via their authorized dealers list.)

Congrats! Nice knife you got there :) Now the next question, even before conspiring to get your next Hinderer, is, are you gonna leave the black scale on, or change it out for another color? (The colored Ti hardware can be hard to obtain, and the Ti scales are near impossible, but most colors of G10 scales can be readily found either on Hinderer's website, or via their authorized dealers list.)

Im guna keep the black g10. I like black handles. Its actually the only color i will buy. If a knife i want doesnt have black handles regardless of the material i wont buy it. I want to try and get another just like this, same thing except maybe a spanto. Whatever comes first.

Im guna keep the black g10. I like black handles. Its actually the only color i will buy. If a knife i want doesnt have black handles regardless of the material i wont buy it. I want to try and get another just like this, same thing except maybe a spanto. Whatever comes first.

Get a spanto.

One thing im noticing though is the detent isnt the best. It flips but need to put a little wrist into it. Will this break in and get better over time? So when i flip i wont have to use wrist action?

One thing im noticing though is the detent isnt the best. It flips but need to put a little wrist into it. Will this break in and get better over time? So when i flip i wont have to use wrist action?

LOL......
The detent is fine.....
You can lube the washers if you want but basically the XM is as much a pusher as a flipper.......so push the flipper in as you are pulling it down.....it's just a technique......
But I don't have an XM that doesn't rocket out when flipped that way......no wrist action needed......
Congrats on the XM....it's a beauty......enjoy.......

If you end up sticking around, in a few months you will look at a "detent post" and go..... "here we go again - newbie".
Just kidding with you, its as designed. About 7 months (or so) ago Rick started with a stronger detent design.
We call this the "Goldilocks syndrome". :)

If you end up sticking around, in a few months you will look at a "detent post" and go..... "here we go again - newbie".
Just kidding with you, its as designed. About 7 months (or so) ago Rick started with a stronger detent design.
We call this the "Goldilocks syndrome". :)

Lol alright im just making sure. I am a newbie when it comes to hinderers.

Im onto number 2 already. I just found a spanto 3 inch flipper i ordered. Cant wait for this one. Loving hinderers already.

Getting a 3" is/was a good move. You may be initially surprised at how .5" changes the overall size but it is a "must have" IMO.
RDA edc's one and I do ALL summer. Love my 3".

Im onto number 2 already. I just found a spanto 3 inch flipper i ordered. Cant wait for this one. Loving hinderers already.

Wait, isn't your first one 3" as well? See, now you're going to have to get a third, because you you want to have at least two different sizes.

Wait, isn't your first one 3" as well? See, now you're going to have to get a third, because you you want to have at least two different sizes.

Catstide i did loosten the pivot just a tad bit and now it fires out with little effort....i dont think i will like the 3.5. I think it will be too big. The 3 inch is perfect for me. I will only buy knives with a 3 inch blade or smaller. Everything that i have tried at 3.5 inches was too big for me. That .5 of an inch does make a huge difference.

Getting a 3" is/was a good move. You may be initially surprised at how .5" changes the overall size but it is a "must have" IMO.
RDA edc's one and I do ALL summer. Love my 3".

I agree. .5 makes a huge difference to me. Its a deal breaker for me. If the blade is any bigger then 3inch i wont buy it not matter how much i like the knife. Ive spent 100s of dollars converting spyderco southards into minis just to bring the blade down to 3 inches. Chopping down a southards blade&handle makes it the perfect size for me.

I agree. .5 makes a huge difference to me. Its a deal breaker for me. If the blade is any bigger then 3inch i wont buy it not matter how much i like the knife. Ive spent 100s of dollars converting spyderco southards into minis just to bring the blade down to 3 inches. Chopping down a southards blade&handle makes it the perfect size for me.

Congrads on the second Hinderer so quickly! Post pics of the chopped southards, I love to see them. Also pic of your Hinderers together would fit nicely in this thread.

I havnt got the 2nd hinderer yet i just ordered it. Im guessing should be in monday. Will post pics when i get it. They dont seem to hard to find. The question is are you willing to pay for them. Heres some pics of the southards. The bottom one was sold to a member on here recently i still have the top one which is now my 2nd fav knife after the xm18. I currently have a para 2 being turned into a mini also. Hopefully should be done within this month. Will put some pics of that up too when i get it.

Last edited:
I know much has been made here and on BF about flipping actions. I have a couple brand X's that if you enjoy playing opening closing, opening, closing, opening....... they do fire out quick, however I carry and use Hinderers for the "use" of the knife and knowing in extreme demands that was the primary engineering design. When I take out my XM 24 or XM 18 and open it with either the use of the flipper or sometimes in combination with blade stop, or a little wrist action to me it is just a means of getting the blade out for work time.

Some purchase flippers just to sit in their armchairs and flip their knives for hours on end, and that is okay, however Rick's primary goal was to make a tool that was a dependable workhorse in harsh demanding environments, and in that respect he has overvelming succeeded thus the high demand for the XM 18. For those who are looking for basically a play toy, there are many knives that were produced with notion the end user more than likely would not be putting it to hard use rather sit in front of a TV watching reality survival shows repeatedly flipping their knives. That being said I don't mean to sound condescending and whatever your intended goal for your knife there is a knife out there to fill this niche.

And from what I've heard Rick has even started turning out XMs with a stronger detent to accommodate those who want a stronger flipping action, an improvement, no just trying to please more people. What is that you're saying now the knife is hard to open and the detent is too strong, geesh.

Last edited:
Back