Just got my first hinderer!

^^^^ I think Kyle is just new to XMs......getting to know them.......and has a few "new guy" questions.......which is fantastic........
XMs do not have IKBS, or thrust bearings or whatever is going into them new fangled knives these days........and for that I am thankful.......
But if that's what you're used to.......then the XM will be different.......and differences lead to clarifying questions.......
I had them myself.......

Last edited:
I remember my first Hinderer was an XM 18 spanto non flipper, I was used to thumbstuds opening but then the flipper models caught my attention for the fact it acted like a finger guard to prevent your hand sliding forward slicing your finger. I traded that off to get an XM 24, god I wish I still had that knife!

Here is my first Hinderer.

DSCN1764.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^ That is a gorgeous XM.......and an awesome pic !!!
I can understand why you'd love it back......

I remember my first Hinderer was an XM 18 spanto non flipper, I was used to thumbstuds opening but then the flipper models caught my attention for the fact it acted like a finger guard to prevent your hand sliding forward slicing your finger. I traded that off to get an XM 24, god I wish I still had that knife!

Here is my first Hinderer.

DSCN1764.jpg

OUCH! Gotta be kickin' hard on that one F.O...... She's purdy, love the Black and the clean lines.

I get ricks main purpose of the xm is to make a strong dependable knife. And its not all about just how it flips. But i figured that a knife with a flipper should flip good especially for the price your paying. My detent doesnt seem to strong it seems to weak. You cant "pre load" the blade to fire hard. As soon as i hit the flipper the blade comes out but only makes it out about halfway. But regardless its still a great knife and my new favorite. I just wish it flipped a little better but that alone is not going to make me not like the knife.

I get ricks main purpose of the xm is to make a strong dependable knife. And its not all about just how it flips. But i figured that a knife with a flipper should flip good especially for the price your paying. My detent doesnt seem to strong it seems to weak. You cant "pre load" the blade to fire hard. As soon as i hit the flipper the blade comes out but only makes it out about halfway. But regardless its still a great knife and my new favorite. I just wish it flipped a little better but that alone is not going to make me not like the knife.

Perhaps that can be the lasting message :)

Yeah it would be nice to handle these expensive knifes in person before dropping five hundered large only to find out it doesn't flip open to your expectations. Are you having to use two hands to open this xm?

Yeah it would be nice to handle these expensive knifes in person before dropping five hundered large only to find out it doesn't flip open to your expectations. Are you having to use two hands to open this xm?

Yea that would be nice. Unfortunately i live in a crappy area where knives are not very popular (just south of boston MA) and there are really no dealers near me anywhere that i can find. But no i cant open it one handed it just doesnt flip as good as i thought it would. I loostened the pivot a littlebit which seems to help maybe a little bit but then the blade goes slightly off center to the presentation side. And any looser than that blade play develops. Ill live with it though. Hopefully my spanto comming in will flip a little better.

Guys- Really trying my patience here. This is the Hinderer Forum. IF you have questions - Ask. IF you seek information - Ask.
If you want tips and tricks - Ask.

Keep up the "Detent Banter" or discussion of pricing and I will lock the thread.

Rubi

Wow, that video shows a properly functioning XM-18 quite well, but looks like it was filmed using a hat-mounted camera while "sitting" on a unicycle.

If you guys will read all the threads related to "tuning", and the sticky on tuning, I think you can work it out. On my first one that didn't do as I expected, I learned how to tune it by following the sticky. Gues what, it is now my smoothest opening flipper of all I've bought. Which means all these others would benefit from a little tuning too. I hear what you're saying, but realize some of these babies need a bit of fine tuning. I own Anschutz and Cooper rifles, and rarely does one come NIB without benefiting from just some special attention. You've got the finest blade on the mkt in my opinion and once you get it tuned, you'll be thinking "this thing is smooth and sweeeet"! JME.
Oh, I forgot to mention, they all had "strong" detents.

Last edited:
If you guys will read all the threads related to "tuning", and the sticky on tuning, I think you can work it out. On my first one that didn't do as I expected, I learned how to tune it by following the sticky. Gues what, it is now my smoothest opening flipper of all I've bought. Which means all these others would benefit from a little tuning too. I hear what you're saying, but realize some of these babies need a bit of fine tuning. I own Anschutz and Cooper rifles, and rarely does one come NIB without benefiting from just some special attention. You've got the finest blade on the mkt in my opinion and once you get it tuned, you'll be thinking "this thing is smooth and sweeeet"! JME.

That would require - READING and RESEARCH :eek: OMG ! A HOBBY that requires ACTIVE Participation. You Mean Nobody brings me the Mysterious "Tool" directly to ME in my Boudoir for Private Demonstration by the Creator !! How Dare.
These mysterious Knives you people speak of Flipping and flipping, They Fold TOO! Strange and wonderful items they must be indeed.... almost Toy like in their function and form.
Do they do anything else? Walk, Talk Cut?

I quoted your post Rebel because - of course you are correct and on point. The whole idea of a "Hobby" is making it your own and that (gasp for some) requires some proactivity and (gasp again) effort.

Hmmmmmm......Rubi.......I can almost picture you with steam coming out of your ears.......:D

It's always fun to see what these threads do to you and Rich........the number of them you both must have seen over the years.......:D

Hmmmmmm......Rubi.......I can almost picture you with steam coming out of your ears.......:D

It's always fun to see what these threads do to you and Rich........the number of them you both must have seen over the years.......:D

I freely admit a tremendous amount of allegience to many things - Loyalty (among others) are traits I admire and attempt to aspire to.
Intellectual purity and consistent Hard Work are other traits as well.
I do get irritated when seemingly innocuous threads start with, "Hey really excited" "Hey,just got my First...." and then before long they dissolve into whinings and moanings about some little thing usually long before the knife has gotten time to break-in or be known.
These threads repeat and repeat and it gets old.
Rob doesn't even comment anymore, How many times can he say, " Like the knife? Great. Don't? Sell it." I heard Kyle say "my favorite knife.... BUT"
Try that with your Wife or Girlfriend sometime and see how it goes, "Great Dinner Babe ..... But"
Are we thin skinned? NO, Not even Close.
Are we tired of the repetetive "Detent Duscussion" or "Washer" or "Why doesn't Rick build them .... this way".

I happen to think they are great just the way they are and like I said. ANYBODY wants help or advice or pointers - Just ask BUT this incessant whining about "flipping" is past Old.

This is my second day in this forum. Sorry but i wasnt aware of all the "detent talk" thats already been brought up here a million times obviously. Didnt know it was such a touchy subject. I wouldnt know like i said this is my 2nd or 3rd day in this forum. I never complained about how rick built his knives. All i said was i wish it flipped a little better. Thats it, and after that i went on to say that regardless of how it flips its still my new favorite knife. But anyways, i bored out a penny to make my own pivot tool, took the whole knife apart, cleaned it re loobed it and put it all back together and got it flipping alot better now. Thanks for all the input, help and suggestions. As far as im concerned this thread is done. There we go. Thanks.

Kyle, don't worry too much about it. It's the nature of discussion forums of all types that those in charge / those who've been around a long time will get frustrated with getting the same "new" questions constantly (even when there's a sign on the wall listing the answers to some of the questions). If the reaction seemed harsh, it's because it's collectively to your question and to the last dozen people who asked the same, or similar, questions.

If there's a takeaway here, it's read the forum a bit, and especially, read the stickied threads at the top of the forum (put there for good reason), before asking many questions.

Rubicon, et al., I feel your pain, I've played both sides of this one in the past.

Back