Just had a accident at the shop

Ban

Was countersinking some holes on a lagriffe pikal and it got caught and spun on me. Sliced my index finger and took off the pad of my ring finger. Bled like a mofo. Thank God I had some celox around. Bleeding has stopped and now I need to decide if I should go to the ER. They can't really stitch it up or anything so I might just deal with it myself. Might try to get a prescription for antibiotics though.

6094571624_ed758bb841_b.jpg

Yowch! Sorry to hear about your accident. I'm glad the rest of you is OK. I don't have any medical or emergency training but it seems that if you are stable now, maybe a trip to the Doc-in-the-Box would be worth it (as long as you feel comfortable driving). I would think it would cost less than a trip to the ER and at least get you some medical attention and the antibiotics you're thinking about. Of course they might just send you to the ER if something more can be done for your ring finger. Take care and let us know how it works out. Mike

That sucks, and at the same time you are lucky!
I took off the tips of two fingers, 2x on one of them. It sucks, bleeds like crazy, and takes quite a while to heal. In each case, I never took off any of my fingernail, but got close. The worse long term effect is now your finger tip will be scar tissue and mine presses on the nerve. I also play guitar, and 10 years after, my pinky still hurts when I finger a string. I went to the ER when I sliced off my pinky tip, waited for a while and just went home. Not enough skin to sew back on.
Antibiotics would be a good thing in this situation.
Take care, and heal up.

You were lucky! Stupid sharp knives can do alot worse than that....

Heal well my friend!

Yeah, I would get that looked at. Be careful man and for the love of god don't countersink anything that can belabeled scary sharp!

Sorry, my young friend, but the ring finger at least needs to be carefully examined. Lost a bit too much skin there.

Better to be safe ... as they say.

Of course, I also say this.

[After all those years in the military and the lab, you should see how thick my medical file is. Soon, I'll have to cart it around in a wheel barrow.]

I took the tip of my thumb off pretty good at work a few years ago with a new buck companion that I underestimated the sharpness of while cutting through a box. It would not stop bleeding so I went to the doctors office. They cauterized it and it heeled very well. I would suggest seeing the doctor at the minimum.

Damn dude!:eek: At least you didn't lose a finger.

Is Urgent Care an option for you, rather than the ER? I too think getting it looked at would be a good idea. Better safe than sorry.

Ouch! I did my finger on a rotary platen. No hospital, just a toothbrush, peroxide, gauze, and Neosporin.

I bet you were happy to see you still had plenty finger left. I know I did not want to look at first, wondering how much would be left.

SNC00138.jpg

OUCH. yeah, worth a trip to the doc for the prophy antibiotics to prevent it from getting infected as it heals up.
good first aid job on yourself with the rubber band as mini-tourniquet and celox.

or you could go all Conan and cauterize it in your heat-treat oven. i'm sure all the hot chicks would dig that :)

Ban, hopefully you have taken the elastic off your finger soon after you took the picture.
Your ring finger needs to be properly assessed. Go to the ER now if you haven't already, and bring the missing finger pad wrapped in clean damp gauze and packed with ice, if you can find it.
Your hands are too important for you to be dithering.
Your friend & fan, R.A. Procter, M.D.

Man I hate that Ban.
You may want to get that looked at. But I've also not went a couple of times when I knew stitches could not be used, so I know how you feel in not wanting to go. Good luck with the healing.

Go to the ER now. Your hands are too important for you to be dithering.

Damn Ban that looks 'orrible mate! :(
Please take the Docs advice and do as he says. Go immediately to the ER..........

I hope you heal quickly my friend.

Ban, hopefully you have taken the elastic off your finger soon after you took the picture.
Your ring finger needs to be properly assessed. Go to the ER now if you haven't already, and bring the missing finger pad wrapped in clean damp gauze and packed with ice, if you can find it.
Your hands are too important for you to be dithering.

I would take Roland's advice Ban. He knows more than all of us combined on this.

Ouch!

Be sure to clean it well. Antibiotics are a good idea. You really don't want to get an infection.

Best regards, and heal up soon!

Back