Just had a accident at the shop

Ban, hopefully you have taken the elastic off your finger soon after you took the picture.
Your ring finger needs to be properly assessed. Go to the ER now if you haven't already, and bring the missing finger pad wrapped in clean damp gauze and packed with ice, if you can find it.
Your hands are too important for you to be dithering.
Your friend & fan, R.A. Procter, M.D.

Well, there you go!

I am a mere PhD, but Dr. Procter has spoken! Please listen.

I took mine off on the same finger while slicing onions when another cook distracted me. All the nerve endings in the tip sure didn't appreciate it, especially the onion juice mixed in. Neither do cooks scrambling to find the tip of your finger to avoid having to throw out all the food on the line.

Not much the docs will do for you except to confirm that you did in fact cut yourself. Maybe give you antibiotics. It took quite a while to heal fully and many months before I could bend a string on a guitar.

Keep it clean and well dressed.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just got back from the Walk-In Clinic. They took off all the celox and the cut started pouring again. Doc had a tourniquet on my finger as she was working. Doc said that it was a deep clean cut and that stitching would not be possible. She applied multiple layers of this stuff called Surgicare. I think it is similar to celox but in sheet form. It took about another 30 mins for it to stop bleeding. Also, got myself a tetanus booster shot while I was at it. Walked out of there with a 350 dollar bill which wasn't too bad.

The bugger that bite me. Luckily it wasn't fully sharpened yet. I am going to have to keep this one for myself as a constant reminder.

6095139926_b38250489b_b.jpg

Ohhh :eek: sorry to hear that man I hope you are feeling better. Knife making injuries are the worst. May that finger heal quickly!

Ban, i hope "you guys" join the rest of the world an get Medicare for all. Then cost is not an issue, you can simply receive appropriate medical care whenever it is needed.
The reasons for seeking medical attenion here are numerous, including had you found the amputated finger pad it can usually be re-attached, giving a better resulting finger tip. Depending on the exact degree of injury you may have been a candidate for a full thickness skin graft. It is also important to fully inspect the wound as even a small "foreign body", e.g. small piece of steel, will prevent healing. Also the dressing applied at the hospital should ensure that no infection develops, which if it does occur, will do more harm than the initial injury.
Assumimg that the doctor you saw is experienced in hand trauma and therefore gave the most appropriate treatment, it should be healed reasonably well in 2-3 weeks.
As we have Medicare in Canada, a patient in this situation can request that the Plastic Surgeon on call be consulted to be sure that all surgical options will be considered.
best wishes for uneventful healing, roland

DUDE!!!:eek:

Get Well Brother!!! Clamp those suckers....you's gotts waaaaay too many more knives to grind to be choppin' fingers off at this stage of the game!!! HEY wait a minute, I bet I have half a chance of outshootin' ya now though, so whay don't ya come on up while I have a minor advantage!!!;)

Take Care and Heal Fast!!!!

Mike

That sucks man. My first thought when I saw the pic was that you threw some saw dust on it to stop the bleeding lol. Then Im like, must be quick clot. I bet that effects your yoga for a couple weeks.

Dang Ban....ouch. Good thing it was just the tip. First Daniel sons toe and now your finger. Heal quick.

I don't have Medical insurance so everything is out of my pocket. I won't be able to exercise or work for at least a few days. Will do my best to get back into the hot yoga room in a day or so to get the blood circulating. Just don't want to work in a dirty shop environment where I can possibly get foreign objects into my wound.

A little digression, how much is a adecuate healt insurance?

Depends on your health and occupation. My parents run a business, step-father is old enough to be on medicare but my mom has to buy her insurance. I think it runs her $600+ monthly. Don't know the specifics, I'm sure that amount of deductables come in to play, too.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just got back from the Walk-In Clinic. They took off all the celox and the cut started pouring again. Doc had a tourniquet on my finger as she was working. Doc said that it was a deep clean cut and that stitching would not be possible. She applied multiple layers of this stuff called Surgicare. I think it is similar to celox but in sheet form. It took about another 30 mins for it to stop bleeding. Also, got myself a tetanus booster shot while I was at it. Walked out of there with a 350 dollar bill which wasn't too bad.

It's worth every penny if it keeps you safe and healthy. And it will.

Back